The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Forget Liz Taylor, it would look super yum on Liz II! Though I don't think the British are really after any more tiaras :( Norway could do with a new one.....
PJ, Liz Taylor has a thing for jewelry and has many lovely pieces. She picked up a couple of the late Duchess of Windsors. I have been looking for her coffee table picture book "My love affair with jewelry." for a while.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ah, Russo. I happen to be the proud owner of Elizabeth Taylor's coffee table book and it is indeed, a Treasure! I urge you to keep looking as it is well worth it..

Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ohhh, I want this book as well! I'm well aware of Ms. Taylor's collection, after Liz 2's its Liz T's vaults I'd love to raid. I wonder what will happen to all her jewels when she joins that great cabaret in the sky. Auctioning most of it for charity seems to be the done thing these days but I do hope she gives some of the pieces to the BRF, at least the historic ones.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Courtier

Well now Udyusa, does that "coffee table book" say anything about her emerald necklace. Whether or not it belonged to the Grand Duchess Vladimir - Maria Pavlovna. Richard Burton bought it from Bulgari. But that's all I know of the history of it. Lots of forums say it was originally Maria Pavlovna's.
I would love to get my hands on that coffee table book. cheers
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Anything come of that auction?
27 May 2010: Appraisal of the three sets of jewels by Christies experts begins;
Gov’t starts appraisal of Marcos jewels

28 May 2010
: The auction is placed on hold by the country's president, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, instead "leaving it to her successor".
Nothing ‘political’ about Arroyo’s decision to stop Imelda’s jewelry auction

I assume the appraisal (and therefore a complete inventory of the three sets of jewels) has come to a sudden halt.
A day can be a long time in politics.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Udyusa, I am SOOO very jealous of you!! Yes, Russo will keep looking!

Thanks Warren!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know if Irina, the wife of Felix Yussoupov, had any imperial jewelry which either escaped the country with her or was confiscated by the Bolsheviks? I seem to remember when reading Felix's autobiography, Lost Splendour (which is quite a hoot to read!), that the author mentions a cache of jewelry hidden beneath a staircase. What was in there and what happened to those pieces of history?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

That would be interesting to know. Bear might have an idea. I only remember Felix cut the Rembrandts out for money. Not the jewelry.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

Here is the excerpt from Felix's book:

"When autumn came, I decided to go to St. Petersburg again; I wanted to find a hiding place for our jewels and more valuable objets d'art. When I arrived I set to work at once with the help of the most trustworthy of our servants. I then went to the Anichkov Palace and took out of its frame, and rolled up, a large portrait of the Emperor Alexander III which the Empress Marie was particularly fond of and had asked me to bring back with me. Unfortunately I came too late to save her jewels; they had been taken to Moscow by order of the Provisional Government. When I had completed my task at the Moika, I went to Moscow with our faithful major-domo, Gregory Bujinski. I took all our diamonds with me as I wanted to conceal them separately. The hiding place I chose was a recess under one of the staircases. I have already told how, thanks to Gregory Bujinski's heroic devotion, this hiding place escaped the Bolshevists' investigations for a long time. Our jewels fell into their hands eight years later, when some workmen discovered them while repairing a step."

I wonder what those diamonds look like?
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

We probably will never know. Interesting he had most trusted servants. Nabokov, in his book, tells about a "most trusted servant" who was spying on his father for the Tsarist government. When the REds took over, he led them right to where the Nabokov's stashed their tiara's and jewelry. Wonder if the Reds shot him after that?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness

Russo dear,

It would be no surprise if the Reds did execute the "trusted servant." Some of these retainers had unyielding loyalty to their employers and even died for their loyalty (witness the servants who perished along with Nicholas and Alexandra). As for spying on behalf of the Tsar's government, I remember reading that even if on accidentally crossed paths with members of the royal family, the secret police would question you about the contact, whether you knew the royal, what was your purpose in the city, etc. Must of been quite an ordeal.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Nabokov does not describe him favorably. IM interpretation, he was a snitch.
Maura Budberg's 1st husband (which she passed off as nobility but was not I found out in a bio. on her) was found shot to death by one the servants when the revolution hit.
Which reminds me of Minnie being awesome making HMS Marlborough wait for servants and people who wanted to leave Russia.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

I have been reading about the Alexander Palace. During World War II, the palace was captured by the Nazis and their Spanish ally. In a corner of the bedroom shared by Nicholas and Alexandra, the Axis allies found a concealed safe beneath the wall fabric. This safe was never discovered despite the Alexander Palace serving as a museum and being searched thoroughly for hidden Romanov wealth. How did the German Army know it was there? What did it hold? When the Soviets recaptured the palace, the strong box in the safe was empty. Did it hold Romanov jewels or were these treasures taken into exile with the family?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

What book VM? Very interesting indeed! Sounds like something Alix's sisters or Uncle Willy knew about which got passed along to the Germans. Does it list which regiment was the ones that invaded the palace? Anddid this palace have the malchalite room or was it another? Suzanne Massie wrote a big, gorgeous picture book on Pavlovsk that I never got through, they hid a lot of the treasures from the Germans in the woods before they got there.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Serene Highness

Russo dear,

I did not read this in a book but on another website. Here is a link to the specific passage describing the Imperial bedroom in the Alexander Palace:

Imperial Bedroom - Alexander Palace Time Machine

The author is devoted to all things Russian, especially the Alexander Palace but he does not cite his sources and does not state which regiment invaded the palace. But I think you are on the right track about the German knowledge: the author himself asks how the Germans knew where to look. INteresting stuff indeed. I posted this in case anyone else might have information. Anyone?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Serene Highness

This is a great website. I just read about children's rooms and how Alexandra was rising her daughters. They had tough upbringing. I don't think it was necessary.
Imperial rooms are amazing.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Aristocracy

This is a nice video on the Russian Imperial Jewels

Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 AM

Is there any where abouts of the pink diamond wedding tiara of the romanovs? Its quiet a beauty
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Serene Highness

Amazing. Russian sense of design (as in the sets in the Bolshoi) is astonishing. Of course, a few of these were probably designed elsewhere - would be interesting to know the history of each piece.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejewels View Post
Is there any where abouts of the pink diamond wedding tiara of the romanovs? Its quiet a beauty
Yes, it's in the Kremlin, and is seen in all its glory at about the 3min 15sec mark in the following video.

This video is stunning.
Beautifully filmed, crystal clear resolution, the pieces are shown in 360°,
some are en tremblant, and all are a-glittering and a-shimmering.

(double-click on it to go to the YouTube original where you can increase the size to full-screen)

This one shows the Imperial jewels in their Kremlin display cases:

Tags
grand duchess olga alexandrovna, jewels, jewllery, romanov, russian royalty