The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Marsel, the article on Lake Baikel has been around a bit. Any updates on that? Last I heard they were supposed to take a sub and go down to look. Though I am sure it costs $$$ to do so.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

One of the awful things are the great Romanov jewels were sold and changed for a song.
A few Faberge eggs haven't been found till now by the historians and the other reseachers...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Commoner

shameless bump. is the fate of this magnificent tiara and neck piece known?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Unknown. Most likely part of the huge cache of diamonds that were dumped on the market in the early years after the Revolution for hard currency by Lenin.

Other pieces were probably stolen by corrupt officials.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Branchg, do you remember that 60 minutes interview of Svletvana the prime minister's daughter, she was either Brezhnev or Khrushchev's daughter. She used to say they had crates and crates of Romanov treasures that they used to go through and look at and use. I wonder if it's on You Tube.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

If it is, I would love to see that 60 minutes episode. Please let us know! Thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I believe it was Stalin's daughter and I remember that interview.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Many of the substantial jewels (such as the diamond necklace worn by Marie) were part of the state collection stored in the Imperial Treasury. These were taken by the Bolsheviks without a fight in Moscow and St. Petersburg in the October Revolution.

While there may be a significant amount still in storage, it is believed much of the collection was sold over time to provide hard currency to the Soviet Union. I doubt at this point there is much left, other than the pieces displayed in museums in Russia.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I believe it was Stalin's daughter and I remember that interview.
Aha! It was Galina Brezhnev. I don't know where I got Svetlana. After looking at Svetlana Stalin on youtube I thought, this Svetlana has dignity. The woman I saw was a drunkard on 60 minutes. Here's the wiki article that confirms this. Now I can go look it up.

Galina Brezhneva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay no videos exist but it happened.
http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//I...20/?s=brezhnev
I would like to see it again someday.
No videos found for “60 minutes galina brezhnev”
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

My apologies for my mistake. Too late at night when I posted. (red face)!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
While there may be a significant amount still in storage, it is believed much of the collection was sold over time to provide hard currency to the Soviet Union. I doubt at this point there is much left, other than the pieces displayed in museums in Russia.
The Bolshevik leaders looted some of the most magnificent, beautiful and valuable pieces: most were broken down with gems were taken out of the sets to make identification impossible.
I have seen many pictures of wives and daughters of the 'leaders', including both Brezhnev and Stalin’s daughters, wearing magnificent jewellery that could have only come from the Imperial collection. That does enrage me because those pieces belong to the country, not the criminals who 'got there first': they should have been put in museums, to admire the splendid past of my country. Instead, there are in private vaults, never seeing the light of the day anymore.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
My apologies for my mistake. Too late at night when I posted. (red face)!
Oh Honey, like you're supposed to know EVERYTHING? That's Marsel's job.
Seriously, this is why we have a forum so people and correct, help, post, educate other's who are just as obsessed about these historical figures as they are.
I'm ready for my straight-jacket Mr. De Mille!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Treasures of the World - Faberge introduction frame

found that interesting article while surfing Twitter today.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Very interesting article, thank you very much for posting it, 4Pam!

There are fairly few, if any occasions where such magnificent jewels can be worn. It's not as though they are invited to state or official events. Of course, the new rich organize events that any Royal House would envy (in terms of money spent), but the children and grandchildren of former 'leaders' are rarely invited to those.
Most likely, the jewels will be, or have already been sold to people who want to owe them for the sake of owning, not to show it off. I know for a fact Alexander Zhukov (Dasha Zhukova's father) has purchased quite a few historical or unique jewels, including some from a descendant of one of the Bolshevik leaders. Berezovsky, Potanin, Deripaska, Prokhorov, Gusinsky, Abramovich all have jewellery collections that would make even the British Royal family seem poor in comparison. Khodorkovsky used to have a great collection of jewels but I don’t know what has become of it.

I honestly doubt we will ever see more than few genuinely Romanov jewels, apart from those that have already surfaced. I mean major pieces, of course: smaller things, like cigarette cases or snuff boxes and an odd Faberge egg may surface, but that’s about it. Definitely not impressive tiaras or necklaces.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Aaah! But what I would do to hold a genuine Faberge snuff box!
Thanks for the info.!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM

At some time It have become part of the Westminsters collection. But I havent ever seen the duchess wearing them?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:32 AM

Grand Duchess Olgas Garnet set.

I have recently inherited from my mother who in turn got them from her mother, a garnet set that consists of a bracelet, a ring, two rings a tiara comb, and a brooch all in the purset russian garnets. These once belonged to Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia, my grandmothers story of how she got them is as follows:

When Grand duchess Olga was living in Denmark she was loath to carry money much less spend it, so she used to go to the local Cobbler and give him an item of jewellery in return for repairs; well, my grandmother who was an enterprising woman, told the cobbler to phone her once the set was complete, which he did she bought them off him, and that is how it came into our posession.

A whimsical tale which we all enjoy. We have the garnet set, and according to the jewellers who have seen it it is russian of origin. Now it is kept in posterity for all the girls of the family it will not belong to one but to all kept safe by me.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow- do you have any photos in which you might post for all of us royal watchers to enjoy your treasure?

WOW I just love looking at these tiaras, thanks for posting them!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, what are you waiting for?? Put those babies on and give us a look see!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

How exciting for you and yes for us!!!

Tags
grand duchess olga alexandrovna, jewels, jewllery, romanov, russian royalty