Queen Victoria Coronet Could Go Overseas Without UK Buyer: August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe George V and Queen Mary jointly have it to their daughter. It might have been something that George V inherited or was given to him (or given to his wife), but was likely viewed as "theirs" owing to the fact that they were married.

Yes, but it is wrong to suggest that Mary owned the jewels.

I haven't read this whole thread so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but I had a thought about what I wish would happen with this coronet.

My thought is that the V&A would be a perfect home for it, but that I'd love to continue to see it get worn from time to time, so how cool would it be if a purchaser donated it to the V&A but with stipulations that it be worn by the V&A's royal patron (or that patron's spouse should it become a man down the line) at appropriate events representing the V&A? Like a white tie fundraising ball from time to time?

I know it's not going to happen, but that's what I would do were I the Official Arbiter Of All Things.

I just did a search to find out who the patron of the V&A is and can't find such a person. There is a list of trustees (none of them royal) but no patron listed. The trustees are appointed by the PM.

They don't seem to have a royal patron as such.

On the old monarchy website there was a way to search and it would come up with the patronages of each royal but with this new site that doesn't seem to be an option. All they now have are lots of photos but no real information (but that is what the public want - to see pretty pictures and not get any information - all part of the 'dumbing down of society').

I just did a search to find out who the patron of the V&A is and can't find such a person. There is a list of trustees (none of them royal) but no patron listed. The trustees are appointed by the PM.

They don't seem to have a royal patron as such.

On the old monarchy website there was a way to search and it would come up with the patronages of each royal but with this new site that doesn't seem to be an option. All they now have are lots of photos but no real information (but that is what the public want - to see pretty pictures and not get any information - all part of the 'dumbing down of society').

Wow, you're right! I was misremembering and thinking it's the Duchess of Cambridge. She's done events for them but isn't their patron. My mistake.

She has attended events at not for. Her patronages have used it as an event space (100 women have used it for dinners). She is patron (and has gone to events for) the National portrait and National history museums.

But as above, only way a museum would have it would be a generous patron to buy and gift/loan. Museums don't have that kind of liquid assets.

Wow, you're right! I was misremembering and thinking it's the Duchess of Cambridge. She's done events for them but isn't their patron. My mistake.

So has Anne and Camilla at times since I have been keeping the CC. I am not sure but I think all the BRF women have attended events there for some reason or other.

Yes, but it is wrong to suggest that Mary owned the jewels.

In the link for the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor that just has been posted, the coronet is listed as belonging to George V. :D

Yes, I'm sure he looked rather gorgeous in it. :D

Gee thanks. Now I really, really want a Whopper with cheese and extra pickles.

Many a man has worn a coronet though over the years. We've just not really had an occasion to see it. Yet.

I believe George V and Queen Mary jointly have it to their daughter. It might have been something that George V inherited or was given to him (or given to his wife), but was likely viewed as "theirs" owing to the fact that they were married.

Edward VII inherited the jewelry from his mother, Victoria. He left the jewels to his son, George.

If the Windsors do not [unaccountably] want this masterpiece, the next best custodians must be the Victoria & Albert Museum. A piece more representative of its founders is hard to imagine..

Maybe if we got everyone here that has an account on TRF to pitch in, we could buy it and donate it to the V&A for posterity. What a list of donors names that would be eh? From all over the world. It probably will be the only way anything to do with me ever gets into the V&A in this lifetime for me. :ROFLMAO:

Joking of course.

Did Queen Alexandra ever wear the coronet of her mother-in-law?

Maybe if we got everyone here that has an account on TRF to pitch in, we could buy it and donate it to the V&A for posterity. What a list of donors names that would be eh? From all over the world. It probably will be the only way anything to do with me ever gets into the V&A in this lifetime for me. :ROFLMAO:

Joking of course.
why joking? We are all so good at telling our royal others what to do, wear and perform...lets put some walk to the talk and start a crowd funding activity! Do we have expertise on the board? I will contribute !

I think Queen Alexandra preferred bigger bling than this dainty little coronet. Anyway, for a great many years it was for Victoria a reminder of her husband, the great love they had shared and her loss. I don't think she would have wanted to loan it, quite frankly.

No, neither Alexandra or Mary wore it. Victoria wore it as small, during widowhood. Her DIL and Mary preferred larger tiaras. It wasn't seen again until given to Princess Mary.

why joking? We are all so good at telling our royal others what to do, wear and perform...lets put some walk to the talk and start a crowd funding activity! Do we have expertise on the board? I will contribute !
I would as well. And I've seen this talked about on other royal places. The thing is, the right person need to start and organize it because otherwise it doesn't happen. I think it could be very possible with some crowdfunding from the general public and some smoozing of individuals/organizations (Yachting clubs, polo clubs etc with royal patronage), highlight that it's still the Queens 90th birthday year, PR from the new Queen Victoria series etc. It's not impossible. Hard, but not impossible.

What if it ended up into some other royal family hands? Every monarch but Willem Alexander descends from Victoria so an European billionaire might decide to buy it and gift to their queen. Hopefully not a Spanish one or we really will never see it again!

And to come to the core point: the little coronet is by no means worth 6.000.000,-- GBP. The intrinsic value is maybe 100.000 GBP (and that is HUGE for this small bijoux). Multiply it to ten because of the provenance, okay... 1 million GBP. The sum of 6 million is simply way overpriced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom