Queen Victoria Coronet Could Go Overseas Without UK Buyer: August 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pranter

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
Queen Victoria coronet could go overseas without UK buyer - BT

A coronet worn by Queen Victoria and designed by her beloved husband Albert could be exported unless a UK buyer can be found for the multi-million pound piece of jewellery.

-------------------------------------------------

I am trying to figure out why the BRF wouldn't of bought this for their own collection.

LaRae

I suppose that they believe that they have enough and don't want it.

I just thought for purposes of history (and I think it's quite pretty) they would want it.

LaRae

6 million pounds is a pretty steep price tag. If Queen Mary thought it was super important she would not have given to her daughter and kept it herself.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm telling you, Queen Mary would snatch that coronet up so fast it would make the sellers head spin. She would probably break it up or expand it, but she would get it. If I was a member of the family and, could afford to get it, I would.

That's how I think about it too Dman....kinda puzzled it's even on the market. It's historical, lovely and of great value. Not like the BRF doesn't have the means to purchase it.

LaRae

6 million pounds is a pretty steep price tag. If Queen Mary thought it was super important she would not have given to her daughter and kept it herself.

I'm not sure Queen Mary would've thought her daughters family would put Victoria's coronet on the market.

The British royals have let go some of the most beautiful jewels though. It's a mistake to pass them down to family members who can't afford to hold on to them.

Princess Margaret should've given her Politmore Tiara over to The Queen when she fell sick. Instead she left it to her family who would've never used it, which is why they didn't have a problem selling it. Now it's gone forever.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it look fantastic with some of the other Sapphire jewelry already in the BRF collection? Kate could pull this Coronet off very well.

LaRae

Queen Mary would have talked the owner into giving it to her not buying it. Lots of jewelry given to non monarchical lines of the family have been sold. The Queen can't buy every thing back.

When did Princess Mary sell it? Did she offer to her brother or niece to keep it the Royal jewels?

This is why the York girls will never be given tiaras. I think it's stupid for Princess Anne to have her own tiaras as Zara and Peter will just end up selling them off like Margaret's children did. The Kents sold off most of their jewels.

A shame to see such a historic tiara like this leave the country

Last edited:
It goes to show that The Queen don't have much interest in jewels like her late grandmother.

I still hope the Teck Circlet and necklace is or will end up in The Queen's possession. It would be a tragedy to see it go too.

I know the Queen can't buy everything back...but I would think there are some more important or special pieces that should remain within the family.

LaRae

I'm hopeful that there will be a campaign to save the coronet. I'm one of the thousands who recently donated to the successful campaign on the part of The Art Fund and Royal Museums Greenwich to save the iconic Armada portrait of Queen Elizabeth I:

Armada Portrait Of Elizabeth I Saved For The Nation | Royal Museums Greenwich

I would have no problem donating to a campaign to save this piece of our history.

If it can't go back to the Royal Collection, the Victoria and Albert Museum would be the best place for it IMO.

I know the Queen can't buy everything back...but I would think there are some more important or special pieces that should remain within the family.

LaRae

I agree! lol If I would have the money I would get for me..............:lol:

even if the queen want to buy the piece back to the family i can't imagine the criticism she will face for buying something with that price

The coronets a beautiful piece of jewellery - I've always liked diamond and sapphire tiaras and seeing these jewels in a coronet is a real treat. So I hope it can remain in the UK and displayed.

IMO the only way this tiara will make its way back to the RF now will be if the Royal Collection find a way to buy it. I'm not saying they will but its more likely they will purchase it as an important piece of historic royal jewellery rather than the Queen buying it for the RF to wear (the criticism would be far too much). That being said if the Royal Collection were to purchase it I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of a fuss if one of the royal ladies wore it out once or twice.

IMO the only way this tiara will make its way back to the RF now will be if the Royal Collection find a way to buy it. I'm not saying they will but its more likely they will purchase it as an important piece of historic royal jewellery rather than the Queen buying it for the RF to wear (the criticism would be far too much). That being said if the Royal Collection were to purchase it I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of a fuss if one of the royal ladies wore it out once or twice.

Five million pounds is a not insignificant 'chunk of change' that the Royal Collection would have difficulty justifying when faced with the possibility of acquiring this historically important jewelry. With a view to the huge costs of maintaining the Royal Collection, I do not believe we need to look here to save this piece for the British nation. I would think that a 'crowd funding' activity along the lines of the the Armada portrait example would be in order. The most interesting question is: who will take this on? Will we wait and see?:bang: On second thought, I also find the quoted price quite exorbitant, (I have admittedly little experience with the purchase of tiaras, historically important or otherwise:) and wonder if there is more to this story than meets the eye?

Last edited:
I have no doubt the Royal Collection would have to fundraise to raise anywhere near the funds required but ultimately it might be the best organization to do so. It would be a big change for the Royal Collection who don't often buy up royal items but I can' think of another item so closely associated with a sovereign. I would rather see it go to them than some rich Russian or Middle Eastern sheik.

LaRae

Most of the royal jewels from the Victorian era are already part of the Royal Collection anyway, i.e. they belong to the British state and cannot be sold or auctioned off. The "newer" pieces that were acquired by the Royal Family in the 20th century (mostly at Queen Mary's time) are the ones that are mostly privately owned.

:previous: That is a huge sum for any museum to pay for 1 piece. They would likely need a benefactor or 2 to help.

I would really like for this to go back to the royal family/collection, or at least the V&A. I hope some crowdfunding of some sort will be made.. Could some organizations involved with the queen (like yachting clubs etc, not hospitals and charities) maybe be interested in going together and buy it for the royal family as a belated 90th birthday present? I imagine that a few organizations might be able/want to contribute a bit, I'm sure there are private people (incl me) that would donate small sums. But who starts such a thing? I mean... would the royal family even accept a gift like that? Or would it be more likely with the V&A? And who starts up something like that? I know nothng of this other than I really want it to be in the UK for people to see, preferably with the royal family. Yes, there are alot of pieces that the queen could have bought back, but very few with this rich of a royal history... I really hope it doesn't disappear away. And I'm not even connected to the UK!

This is one of my all time favorite tiaras so I hope it ends up attached to the royal family or the the Royal collection in some way.

The V&A could buy it, they or the Royal Collection are both, IMO, the best organisations to look after it. Obviously they would need a lot of cash to purchase it and I'm sure fundraising would be needed but if it could ultimately end up with either it would be best for all. It could even be owned by both, spending time in the V&A and time with the Royal Collection.

it's happening in the worst time with the uncertainty of the economy after brexit and the large sums that would be needed to renovate buckingham palace and westminster palace .

It's good Queen Victoria's coronet is temporarily banned from export. Hopefully, there'll be some way for the piece to stay in UK.
Queen Mary would have talked the owner into giving it to her not buying it. Lots of jewelry given to non monarchical lines of the family have been sold. The Queen can't buy every thing back.

When did Princess Mary sell it? Did she offer to her brother or niece to keep it the Royal jewels?
[-]Queen Mary[/-] King George V gifted the coronet and parure to his daughter, so he knew it would leave the main line and possibly be gone forever. Princess Mary didn't sell it; the Lascelles family had the coronet at least until 2002.
At some point in time after that, the Lascelles family sold the tiara to a London dealer. (Perhaps Wartski, as the tiara appeared in 2012 and after with Wartski's Geoffrey Munn. George Lascelles passed away in July 2011 and his son David inherited the title, so it is possible inheritance taxes again played a role.)
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #15. Queen Victoria's Sapphire Coronet

Last edited:
I'm also of the opinion that it should definitely remain in UK in a collection as it is very much a part of British history. How many pieces out there were designed by Prince Albert for his bride? The coronet is on par with Queen Elizabeth's wedding bracelet that was designed and made for HM by the DoE and contains diamonds that were part of his mother's collection.

It was probably passed down by Queen Mary because, like Elizabeth's bracelet, it was a personal piece of jewelry. I'm sure that when the time comes, HM's wedding bracelet will somehow be guaranteed to remain within the family and never be sold off.

A shame that matching necklace and bracelet have been sold off.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom