The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Nobility

maybe albert and victoria museum would buy it ?!

Old 08-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

That is a huge sum for any museum to pay for 1 piece. They would likely need a benefactor or 2 to help.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

I would really like for this to go back to the royal family/collection, or at least the V&A. I hope some crowdfunding of some sort will be made.. Could some organizations involved with the queen (like yachting clubs etc, not hospitals and charities) maybe be interested in going together and buy it for the royal family as a belated 90th birthday present? I imagine that a few organizations might be able/want to contribute a bit, I'm sure there are private people (incl me) that would donate small sums. But who starts such a thing? I mean... would the royal family even accept a gift like that? Or would it be more likely with the V&A? And who starts up something like that? I know nothng of this other than I really want it to be in the UK for people to see, preferably with the royal family. Yes, there are alot of pieces that the queen could have bought back, but very few with this rich of a royal history... I really hope it doesn't disappear away. And I'm not even connected to the UK!
Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

This is one of my all time favorite tiaras so I hope it ends up attached to the royal family or the the Royal collection in some way.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
This is one of my all time favorite tiaras so I hope it ends up attached to the royal family or the the Royal collection in some way.
I agree. I love it. Both is it very pretty, but also for the history.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

The V&A could buy it, they or the Royal Collection are both, IMO, the best organisations to look after it. Obviously they would need a lot of cash to purchase it and I'm sure fundraising would be needed but if it could ultimately end up with either it would be best for all. It could even be owned by both, spending time in the V&A and time with the Royal Collection.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Nobility

it's happening in the worst time with the uncertainty of the economy after brexit and the large sums that would be needed to renovate buckingham palace and westminster palace .
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Courtier

It's good Queen Victoria's coronet is temporarily banned from export. Hopefully, there'll be some way for the piece to stay in UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Queen Mary would have talked the owner into giving it to her not buying it. Lots of jewelry given to non monarchical lines of the family have been sold. The Queen can't buy every thing back.

When did Princess Mary sell it? Did she offer to her brother or niece to keep it the Royal jewels?
Queen Mary King George V gifted the coronet and parure to his daughter, so he knew it would leave the main line and possibly be gone forever. Princess Mary didn't sell it; the Lascelles family had the coronet at least until 2002.
Quote:
At some point in time after that, the Lascelles family sold the tiara to a London dealer. (Perhaps Wartski, as the tiara appeared in 2012 and after with Wartski's Geoffrey Munn. George Lascelles passed away in July 2011 and his son David inherited the title, so it is possible inheritance taxes again played a role.)
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #15. Queen Victoria's Sapphire Coronet
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm also of the opinion that it should definitely remain in UK in a collection as it is very much a part of British history. How many pieces out there were designed by Prince Albert for his bride? The coronet is on par with Queen Elizabeth's wedding bracelet that was designed and made for HM by the DoE and contains diamonds that were part of his mother's collection.

It was probably passed down by Queen Mary because, like Elizabeth's bracelet, it was a personal piece of jewelry. I'm sure that when the time comes, HM's wedding bracelet will somehow be guaranteed to remain within the family and never be sold off.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Heir Apparent

A shame that matching necklace and bracelet have been sold off.

LaRae
Old 08-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
A shame that matching necklace and bracelet have been sold off.

LaRae
True. But they have way less royal history and is not as big of a loss as this would be. Aristrocrats need to sell their jewels to keep afloat.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did Princess Mary The Countess of Harewood or one of her sons sell the coronet to a dealer in London?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm telling you, Queen Mary would snatch that coronet up so fast it would make the sellers head spin. She would probably break it up or expand it, but she would get it. If I was a member of the family and, could afford to get it, I would.
That coronet, however beautiful, is really petite. Almost a big bracelet. 6 million is a staggering amount and the Harewoods probably prefer the cash above a jewel collecting dust in the cassette.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm also of the opinion that it should definitely remain in UK in a collection as it is very much a part of British history. How many pieces out there were designed by Prince Albert for his bride? The coronet is on par with Queen Elizabeth's wedding bracelet that was designed and made for HM by the DoE and contains diamonds that were part of his mother's collection.

It was probably passed down by Queen Mary because, like Elizabeth's bracelet, it was a personal piece of jewelry. I'm sure that when the time comes, HM's wedding bracelet will somehow be guaranteed to remain within the family and never be sold off.
I wouldn't be so sure. The British royal collection is vast. The number of events for which grand jewels are required become less and lesser frequent. Additions to the collections make little sense. I can imagine that Queen Elizabeth II leaves her own bracelet to her only daughter, The Princess Royal. Why not? The only royal history it has is the current owner.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Did Princess Mary The Countess of Harewood or one of her sons sell the coronet to a dealer in London?
It was seen in the 2000's so probably the coronet has been offered for sale after the death of the 7th Earl of Harewood in 2011. The Earl had four sons: the current 8th Earl (David Lascelles) and his brothers James, Jeremy and Mark Lascelles. I can imagine the family selling heirlooms to make a fair distribution between the four sons of the late Earl and to pay death duties.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Even the puissant rich Duchess of Alba, or the Fürstin von Thurn und Taxis, or the Grand-Duke of Luxembourg had to sell jewels to free cash. A newspaper like the DM loves to add a prize tag on a family "he is worth 500 million" but they never add that it is in estates, artworks, jewels, investments, not on the bank account. As the Duchess of Alba once said: "I can not go to the supermarket with a Rembrandt under my arm".
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

yes many are rich but illiquid.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria coronet could go overseas without UK buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. The British royal collection is vast. The number of events for which grand jewels are required become less and lesser frequent. Additions to the collections make little sense. I can imagine that Queen Elizabeth II leaves her own bracelet to her only daughter, The Princess Royal. Why not? The only royal history it has is the current owner.

And if she leaves the bracelet to Anne, it will probably be sold after Anne dies by her kids which is what happened with this tiara. The easiest way to keep the jewelry is it to go from monarch to monarch which is tax free.Then various members can borrow when needed.

We saw Kate wearing the diamond bracelet (the first other then the Queen) at the Chinese State Dinner. If the Queen wanted to give the bracelet to some one like Anne or York girls not in the direct line to be monarch, she would need to already have done it. She can give it as a gift but she needs to live 7 years after giving it for the receiver to avoid the taxes on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Courtier

With so much of QV's jewelry left to the crown, I'm surprised that this piece was QM's to give away.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just because Kate has worn it doesn't mean that The Queen hasn't already given it to someone else. She may have asked that particular family member to lend it to Kate for the evening. It happens within families.

I don't think that the BRF will be all that interested in one piece of jewellery that isn't connected to them directly any more and hasn't been for nearly a century - since it was given to Princess Mary as a wedding gift years before the Queen herself was born.

Someone in the UK may buy it - for their own personal collection or for some other reason.

Most of the royal jewels are never seen - so if the BRF did buy this it would probably go into the vaults and never be seen again.

If Andrew had the money I could see him buying it for Beatrice or Eugenie but then they would face the same problem in a few generations when the girls descendants have to pay death duties.