Queen Sofia Jewellery 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know something about pearls which Queen Sofia wore at the state visit to Japan 11th November at opening Institutes of Servantes?

Queen Sofia likes to have a lot of necklaces and bracelets at the same time, yesterday at the Easter Mass:
Zimbio
Left hand:
Zimbio
Right hand:
Zimbio
I would have preferred a little less. Her earrings are lovely.

The Fleur de Lys diamond tiara was a wedding gift to Queen Ena from her husband.

I don't get all these bracelets and necklaces. Is it a Spanish tradition or something? Some look like evil eyes. It doesn't seem appropriate for Easter but it may be and I'm just not aware of it!

It can not have been all of the rubies she wore yesterday. I would redesign them. Make a diamond-base and put one them one row of the rubies the place some rubies (withoud the diamonds between) upright on this to give a more tiara-like look. And from the rubies who are left she could make some pendants for the necklace.
The Version from yesterday was much too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paty :flowers:
I did not list the Niarchos jewellery though because the hairpiece doesn't really count as a tiara, it's rather a bandeau or necklace used for the same purpose. Doesn't have the usual tiara "structure" with a frame etc.

I agree--it doesn't have any tiara structure to it--but I'm not sure I would want to dismantle it and create a traditional tiara out of it--I really love the piece when she wears it with the two rows in her hair--and I imagine it would be lightweight. Her other tiaras look like they may weigh a bit more. I do wonder at something, though. The Queen was wearing, in comparison to Letizia, an insignificant piece (while beautiful) that is really just a small part of a necklace on a frame or piece of velvet or whatever. Do you think that her not wearing one of her historic and more impressive pieces was a slight "slam" to the french President? I was so surprised to see the rubies--because as much as I like them, they are pretty casual.

The Niarchos rubies are quite famous jewellery related to Queen Sofia and have to be seen as a whole (earrings, necklace, bandeau). A typical tiara might not be part of it but the rest is so impressive so it can survive with "only" a headpiece. To have the rubies plus a tiara would not look good but give a christmas tree impression, too much. Therefore I don't think Queen Sofia was "underdressed" in terms of her jewellery in comparison to Princess Letizia, the Prussian tiara is pretty unimportant as there is no relation to Spanish royal history.

The Niarchos rubies were a wedding gift to Queen Sophia and are also not that important in relation to Spanish royal history. The Prussian tiara is much older, a wedding gift from Kaiser Wilhelm II to his daughter, Queen Sophia's grandmother. If may not be Spanish, but has a long royal history. In terms of Spanish historic value both cannot be compared to the tiaras to major Spanish tiaras.

For the official visit of France to Great Britain, at the evening gala Queen Elisabeth II wore also the red sash of la légion d' Honneur and a rubies/diamonds tiara.

This tiara is called "La Chata" (because it belonged to a Infanta called "La Chata" because his nose).
It was made by Mellerio (Paris) is from XIXth Century.
She has 7 tiaras
- the fleur de lys
- the Pearl and Diamond Tiara from Queen Maria Cristina
- the Pearl and Diamond Tiara from Queen Victoria Eugenie
- the Mellerio Shell Tiara
- the floral wreath Tiara
- the prussian Tiara
- the Niarchos rubies
-By Ansorena.
-I don't know the jeweler.
-By Cartier.
-By Mellerio (obviously :lol:).
-By Aldao/Mellerio.
-By Koch.
-By Van Cleef and Arpels.

I love Spanish tiaras =D
The Fleur de Lys diamond tiara was a wedding gift to Queen Ena from her husband.
Yes. When Alfonso XIII get married with Victoria Eugenia in 1906, he gave her this marvelous tiara by Spanish jeweler Ansorena.
I believe that it cost 100.000 pesetas!
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=275372&postcount=35
I believe it is the same as the first one on this post. Apart of the top front pearl they do look identical.
Yes, are the same tiara ;)

This tiara of aquamarines belonged to Queen Victoria Eugenia. I would like to see it one day in the hair of Queen Sofia: Imageshack - diademeaiguesmarineszb4
Regards!

Are there any photo's of the Tiaras belonging to the Infanta Pilar & Margarita ?

I don't like it very much either, but looks good on the Queen. It's not the best or most beautiful model but generally looks good

I am astonished! Why did she leave the grander, more important tiara to Infanta Christina? Sophia is the Queen, she should at least have gone for the loop tiara.

The close-up of the tiara reveals that it not a very beautiful one, but if you watch the queen in all the other pics, you just notice that she's wearing a "normal" tiara.
In another thread a poster noted that maybe bigger tiaras are too heavy to wear for many hors for a woman of the age of the queen. I'm not an expert in jewels: could that be a realistic explanation?

This tiara may not be the most beautiful one, but it looked very nice on Q.Sofia. I also loved the pearl necklace and the small brooch. She looked great from head to toe IMO!

Dear jonc93 it is Queen Ena tiara but it was redesigned by infanta Beatriz.

Dear jonc93 it is Queen Ena tiara but it was redesigned by infanta Beatriz.

Hm well thanks for clearing that up, It doesn't look like a redesign looks like they completely took it apart and restarted. Looks very similar to QEII Vladimir tiara.

Queen Sofia at Victoria's wedding:
she wore the same matching bracelet on both hands

Original images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• sofia.jpg
    sofia.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • sofia2.jpg
    sofia2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 445
  • sofianecklace.jpg
    sofianecklace.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 842
  • sofiatiara.jpg
    sofiatiara.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 2,980
The jewellery suited her, didn't outshine anything.

yes, that tiara belongs to Infanta Pilar, the King's eldest sister who inherited it from her late mother the Countess of Barcelona, it originally belonged to Queen Maria Cristina (mother and regent for Alfonso XIII, the King's Grandfather) and it's the same tiara Pilar and her daughter Simoneta wore on their wedding days:

http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brideandgroom3jz.jpg
Could somebody tell me why Queen Sofia should borrow a tiara from her sister in law? Would this be a hint that it now belongs to the RF again ????

I happen to like the shell tiara. I had no idea it wasn't officially hers though, that it was borrowed from her sister in law. It seems like there is a shortage of tiaras in the SRF, with the same ones worn repeatedly.

yes, that tiara belongs to Infanta Pilar, the King's eldest sister who inherited it from her late mother the Countess of Barcelona, it originally belonged to Queen Maria Cristina (mother and regent for Alfonso XIII, the King's Grandfather) and it's the same tiara Pilar and her daughter Simoneta wore on their wedding days:

Could somebody tell me why Queen Sofia should borrow a tiara from her sister in law? Would this be a hint that it now belongs to the RF again ????

The tiara was of the Countess of Barcelona, and when she was living it was taken by the Infanta Pilar and her daughter Simoneta. But from the death of the Countess of Barcelona only the Queen has taken it. Probably after the death of his mother, the King reached an agreement with his sisters in order that it was going on to his property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom