The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #321  
Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,557
it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Tiara Mania's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 99
Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,815
I wonder if there are any jewels which Queen Sofia has not worn in decades? Perhaps some pieces left to her by her mother or mother in law?
__________________
20th of December 1963,Birth of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM
prince.of.preslav's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 145

There are a few sets of turquoise and diamond jewellery that HM has not worn in many years. Also some of the collet necklaces have been collecting dust in their boxes for ages (I believe Doña Sofia last used the largest one 10 years ago in Copenhagen). I'm not 100%, but IIRC, the Fleur-de-Lis tiara was last used in 2006, in Thailand.
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 06-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Avicenna's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North of Lake Constance, Germany
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.
I don't know the inheritance-taxation in Spain, but maybe the Family might consider to set up a foundation. Thus avoiding that the collection can ever be dispersed.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,192
The legacy of Queen Victoria Eugenia jewels passed to Head of House, for use of the queen.

Probably other historical gems buy by the king, inherited from his mother and property of Queen Sofía will join the collection of royal jewels owned by the king, but that are available for the family. It would not be surprising if they create a foundation to maintain that legacy.

Queen Sofia has a good collection of personal jewelry ... has a large collection of earrings, necklaces, brooches ... many of pearls or semiprecious stones, not of such high quality, but much more practical for her daughters to inherit. Also personal gifts like Niarcos, some from the king or pieces inherited from her mother.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post
[...] because the Spanish royals have so few tiara events.[...]
The Spanish monarchy receives the same amount or even more State- and Official Visits than most other monarchies. It is not that they have fewer events for grand jewels. The Spaniards can pack out with grand jewels as well, see this picture from a State Visit by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus to Madrid:

Source ANP Historic Archive: http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/ima...21-800-794.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post
Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.
The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,815
A jewel foundation doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!
__________________
20th of December 1963,Birth of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Tiara Mania's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."
Thank you for the very informative answer! I'm American and we don't have any of these sorts of rules over inheritance so it's all new to me. I could leave my possessions divided amongst my children equally, everything to one of my children or nothing at all to any of my children. A family foundation certainly sounds like a good solution that I hope they will use to keep the jewellery collection intact.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Torun, Poland
Posts: 74

The long diamond riviere towards with diamond earrings belongs to Fleur de Lys parure. As I remember this piece was worn by QS only twice (at Danish wedding & Pavlos of Greece pre wedding gala).
As I know there is only one big pearl necklace which Queen Sofia sometimes "pins" under her hairdoo to make it shorter (you can see this trick at some photos). It was given to her by countess of Barcelona who had inherited four row big pearl necklace from Q Ena and than remodeled it to single necklaces and shared between Q Sofia, infanta Pilar, infanta Margarita and herself (later inherited by infanta Elena).
The emerald demi parure was an anniversary gift from King JC and besides necklace it consists of bracelet and earrings.
The ruby necklace comes from countess of Bracelona demi parure, there are also bracelet, two brooches, earrings and two clasps (worn by Letizia at Fred&Mary wedding).
Unfortunatelly I don't know anything about other necklaces you asked.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,362
Should you wish to see what Queen Letizia might look like in some of the Spanish tiara's, pl follow the weblink below to see some fab photoshop images posted by Her_Majesty some time back on the Photoshopping Royal tiara's thread. It is post number 86 on the thread.

Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels 3
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Tiara Mania's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 99
Queen Sofia wore the Fleur de Lys Tiara during the gala dinner of the state visit from Mexico. It is mostly likely the last time she will wear a tiara as the current Queen of Spain.

Spanish Royals and President of United States of Mexico Attend Dinner Gala | jose gegundez | photographer
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM
rubies's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: daytona beach, United States
Posts: 2,699
Queen Sofia looks so pretty and she pulled out the big guns of her jewels!
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,815
One of the most exquisite pieces in the Spanish Royal collection,was really nice to see being worn again after a few years in the vaults.
__________________
20th of December 1963,Birth of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 3,257
She has worn all the pieces that have to "pass" from one queen of Spain to the next one: the Fleur de Lys Tiara, the long necklace, the earrings, the Fleur de Lys brooch and the "twins" bracelets (sorry, I don´t know if they have specific English names)

She looks INCREDIBLE on her last Gala dinner. Her "reign" couldn´t have ended with a more memorable photo. I´m kinda sad imagining her putting on all the jewels and looking at herself in a mirror thinking: "this is the last time I wear the Tiara of the Queen of Spain"

Now, all these jewells will be Letizia´s property. But I think no one will never wear them like Sofia has done
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
She has worn all the pieces that have to "pass" from one queen of Spain to the next one: the Fleur de Lys Tiara, the long necklace, the earrings, the Fleur de Lys brooch and the "twins" bracelets (sorry, I don´t know if they have specific English names)

She looks INCREDIBLE on her last Gala dinner. Her "reign" couldn´t have ended with a more memorable photo. I´m kinda sad imagining her putting on all the jewels and looking at herself in a mirror thinking: "this is the last time I wear the Tiara of the Queen of Spain"

Now, all these jewells will be Letizia´s property. But I think no one will never wear them like Sofia has done
Well said ,and sadly given the fact that Letizia doesn't really wear any jewelry we might not see these jewels for a long time.
__________________
20th of December 1963,Birth of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: *, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,196
For me it came across as a strong message - Im the rightful Queen of the Spain and will be until the King dies, Sofia is not the kind of royal to support abdiction at all and is being forced into the awkward position by her husband.

Great last 'Queen' appearance in terms of jewellery - she can wear the regal statement pieces so well
__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 8,229
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maria Christina’s Cartier Loop Tiara

This is no doubt one of my favorite tiaras! I find this tiara exquisite and the design is just breathtaking. A very grand and regal tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 15,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maria Christina’s Cartier Loop Tiara

This is no doubt one of my favorite tiaras! I find this tiara exquisite and the design is just breathtaking. A very grand and regal tiara.
Yes its very beautiful and worn by so many generations of the royal family,I always assumed it belonged to the Infanta Pilar but I was wrong there!
__________________

__________________
20th of December 1963,Birth of The Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jewellery, queen sofia, sofia


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Jewellery Josefine Royal Jewels 249 11-01-2016 01:51 PM
The Queen Sofia Foundation Avalon King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 58 04-12-2016 09:21 PM
Queen Sofia's Visit to Brazil: October 5-8, 2003 xicamaluca King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia 6 10-09-2003 06:29 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grahamm grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament photo picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess eugenie eveningwear princess ingrid alexandra princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania revolution royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises