The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Gentry

Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wonder if there are any jewels which Queen Sofia has not worn in decades? Perhaps some pieces left to her by her mother or mother in law?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

There are a few sets of turquoise and diamond jewellery that HM has not worn in many years. Also some of the collet necklaces have been collecting dust in their boxes for ages (I believe Doña Sofia last used the largest one 10 years ago in Copenhagen). I'm not 100%, but IIRC, the Fleur-de-Lis tiara was last used in 2006, in Thailand.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.
I don't know the inheritance-taxation in Spain, but maybe the Family might consider to set up a foundation. Thus avoiding that the collection can ever be dispersed.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

The legacy of Queen Victoria Eugenia jewels passed to Head of House, for use of the queen.

Probably other historical gems buy by the king, inherited from his mother and property of Queen Sofía will join the collection of royal jewels owned by the king, but that are available for the family. It would not be surprising if they create a foundation to maintain that legacy.

Queen Sofia has a good collection of personal jewelry ... has a large collection of earrings, necklaces, brooches ... many of pearls or semiprecious stones, not of such high quality, but much more practical for her daughters to inherit. Also personal gifts like Niarcos, some from the king or pieces inherited from her mother.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post
[...] because the Spanish royals have so few tiara events.[...]
The Spanish monarchy receives the same amount or even more State- and Official Visits than most other monarchies. It is not that they have fewer events for grand jewels. The Spaniards can pack out with grand jewels as well, see this picture from a State Visit by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus to Madrid:

Source ANP Historic Archive: http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/ima...21-800-794.jpg
Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post
Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.
The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."
Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A jewel foundation doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."
Thank you for the very informative answer! I'm American and we don't have any of these sorts of rules over inheritance so it's all new to me. I could leave my possessions divided amongst my children equally, everything to one of my children or nothing at all to any of my children. A family foundation certainly sounds like a good solution that I hope they will use to keep the jewellery collection intact.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Gentry

The long diamond riviere towards with diamond earrings belongs to Fleur de Lys parure. As I remember this piece was worn by QS only twice (at Danish wedding & Pavlos of Greece pre wedding gala).
As I know there is only one big pearl necklace which Queen Sofia sometimes "pins" under her hairdoo to make it shorter (you can see this trick at some photos). It was given to her by countess of Barcelona who had inherited four row big pearl necklace from Q Ena and than remodeled it to single necklaces and shared between Q Sofia, infanta Pilar, infanta Margarita and herself (later inherited by infanta Elena).
The emerald demi parure was an anniversary gift from King JC and besides necklace it consists of bracelet and earrings.
The ruby necklace comes from countess of Bracelona demi parure, there are also bracelet, two brooches, earrings and two clasps (worn by Letizia at Fred&Mary wedding).
Unfortunatelly I don't know anything about other necklaces you asked.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Majesty

Should you wish to see what Queen Letizia might look like in some of the Spanish tiara's, pl follow the weblink below to see some fab photoshop images posted by Her_Majesty some time back on the Photoshopping Royal tiara's thread. It is post number 86 on the thread.

Photoshopping Royal Tiaras and Jewels 3
Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Gentry

Queen Sofia wore the Fleur de Lys Tiara during the gala dinner of the state visit from Mexico. It is mostly likely the last time she will wear a tiara as the current Queen of Spain.

Spanish Royals and President of United States of Mexico Attend Dinner Gala | jose gegundez | photographer
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Sofia looks so pretty and she pulled out the big guns of her jewels!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

One of the most exquisite pieces in the Spanish Royal collection,was really nice to see being worn again after a few years in the vaults.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

She has worn all the pieces that have to "pass" from one queen of Spain to the next one: the Fleur de Lys Tiara, the long necklace, the earrings, the Fleur de Lys brooch and the "twins" bracelets (sorry, I don´t know if they have specific English names)

She looks INCREDIBLE on her last Gala dinner. Her "reign" couldn´t have ended with a more memorable photo. I´m kinda sad imagining her putting on all the jewels and looking at herself in a mirror thinking: "this is the last time I wear the Tiara of the Queen of Spain"

Now, all these jewells will be Letizia´s property. But I think no one will never wear them like Sofia has done

Old 06-10-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
She has worn all the pieces that have to "pass" from one queen of Spain to the next one: the Fleur de Lys Tiara, the long necklace, the earrings, the Fleur de Lys brooch and the "twins" bracelets (sorry, I don´t know if they have specific English names)

She looks INCREDIBLE on her last Gala dinner. Her "reign" couldn´t have ended with a more memorable photo. I´m kinda sad imagining her putting on all the jewels and looking at herself in a mirror thinking: "this is the last time I wear the Tiara of the Queen of Spain"

Now, all these jewells will be Letizia´s property. But I think no one will never wear them like Sofia has done
Well said ,and sadly given the fact that Letizia doesn't really wear any jewelry we might not see these jewels for a long time.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For me it came across as a strong message - Im the rightful Queen of the Spain and will be until the King dies, Sofia is not the kind of royal to support abdiction at all and is being forced into the awkward position by her husband.

Great last 'Queen' appearance in terms of jewellery - she can wear the regal statement pieces so well

Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maria Christina’s Cartier Loop Tiara

This is no doubt one of my favorite tiaras! I find this tiara exquisite and the design is just breathtaking. A very grand and regal tiara.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maria Christina’s Cartier Loop Tiara

This is no doubt one of my favorite tiaras! I find this tiara exquisite and the design is just breathtaking. A very grand and regal tiara.
Yes its very beautiful and worn by so many generations of the royal family,I always assumed it belonged to the Infanta Pilar but I was wrong there!

Tags
jewellery, queen sofia, sofia