The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Mellerio Shell Tiara is my least favourite Spanish tiara,the rubies are very lovely but I don't like the way Queen Sofia wears them as a tiara,they seem to be lost in her hairdo and maybe need a better base.
I dont think that the rubies can be classified as 'tiara', but rather as something very versatile that can be worn as necklace, kind of tiara or even as a bracelet.
Britains Prince Charles Kisses The Hand Of Queen Sofia Of
http://dinastias.forogratis.es/los-r...-t1007-84.html

Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Maybe a Ruby bandanna would be a better description.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe a Ruby bandanna would be a better description.
It looked much better when she once at a State Visit to Luxembourg wore the big Version in 2 rows as tiara.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It looked much better when she once at a State Visit to Luxembourg wore the big Version in 2 rows as tiara.
Thanks Stefan,I must see if I can find a photo of that visit!
Old 12-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Stefan,I must see if I can find a photo of that visit!
There is a photo of it on the first page of this thread in Post 3

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Does anyone know anything about this necklace of H.M.Queen Sofia of Spain?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...0e1c580da2.jpg
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria View Post
Queen Sophia

its like the same tiara .s
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejm View Post
I don't believe Sofia is wearing a pearl necklace. It appears to be diamonds, possibly with a crucifix at the end. I haven't found out much about this necklace (whether it is Sofia's property or if it belongs to Greece or Spain), but I'll keep looking.

I remember reading years ago an extract about the wedding where it was mentioned that the jewels Sofia was wearing that day were " gifts of Their Majesties". And I think that Queen Sofia herself mentioned in a biography that she got diamonds for her Father as a gift . So I am guessing that since the tiara came from her mother, the rest of her jewellery ( earrings necklace and bracelet ) were her father's gift . BTW there is also an alternative pendant for that necklace, so if I am correct this was supposed to be a 'diamond parure" that Sofia got as a wedding gift from her on family
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Gentry

As I mentioned in another tread, I've been working lately on the tiaras worn by the Spanish Royal Family. I was surprised to notice their lack of colored gemstones. The only tiara with colored stones currently owned by the Queen Sofia are the Niarchos rubies which barely constitutes a tiara in my opinion.

Fleur de Lys Tiara
Floral Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Loop Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Tiara
Prussian Diamond Tiara
Ruby Necklace Tiara
Shell Tiara
Old 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

True about the lack of colored tiaras but.......oh they have some gorgeous pieces. I wish we go to see them more.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Niarchos Rubies

Though I don't like this as a tiara, I do love the Niarachos rubies as a necklace. I find it quite elegant and regal.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Niarchos Rubies

Though I don't like this as a tiara, I do love the Niarachos rubies as a necklace. I find it quite elegant and regal.
I'm not a fan of them worn as a tiara,but as a ruby necklace they are spectacular and a real treasure in the Spanish Jewel chest.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I never cared for the rubies worn as a tiara as well, but as a necklace they are just stunning.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Commoner

The rubies aren't bad as long as Sofia puts both pieces together as a double when she wears them as a tiara. There is a wonderful photo of just what I mean in Tiara Mania's great list of links to their blog.
I am not a fan of wearing what looks like a single row, jeweled necklace as a tiara. It just doesn't look right in most any stone. Looks better as a necklace.
The Spanish rubies are in my top three favorites. CP Mary's tiara is #1, and QEII rubies are #2. Of course, that is just rubies. No holds barred on the other bling.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Majesty

what jewllery are her own and what jewllery is connected with the crown?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Gentry

Josefine four tiaras below are definitely QS personal property - there were her wedding gifts.
1.diamond floral tiara /necklace/ brooches,
2.diamond prussian (greek key) tiara,
3.diamond pearl (la chata) tiara,
4.Niarchos diamond ruby bandeau/tiara/necklace.

The grandest of spanish collection - Fleur de Lys was left by Q Ena to be wear by future spanish queens. So it is only piece connected with crown. Probably two other "big guns" MC diamond pearl tiara (inherited by JC from his mother) and Cartier diamond pearl tiara (JC bought from his aunt) will rather goes to Q Letizia as first lady.
Personally I think all jewels will stay as a one collection to be use by all ladies of royal house of Spain with some pieces reserved only for queens.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Majesty

what about other items

what necklaces are there

long pearl necklace
lomg diamond reviere
short pearl necklace
emerald necklace
yellow diamond necklace one more photo
small ruby diamond necklace
3 row pearl necklace
multi colour necklace
art deco diamoand necklace
Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

All the jewels are privately owned. The Spanish royals don't have any kind of foundation for their jewels, nor are any jewels owned by the crown or the state.

The other three tiaras, the Cartier pearl tiara of Queen Ena, the Cartier loop tiara and the grand fleur-de-lys tiara, were either directly inherited from Queen Ena and the Countess of Barcelona, or they were bought back from other relatives by the King.

They will certainly will make sure that the new Queen has tiaras to wear. But we probably will not know if they shift the ownership or simply continue to share like now. And I do not expect Queen Letizia to pull out one of the three big tiaras soon, as Queen Sophia has not worn them lately. They most likely keep the appearance of austerity and modesty for some time.

But maybe they will publish the first official portrait of Letizia with tiara? I would love that!
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
They will certainly will make sure that the new Queen has tiaras to wear. But we probably will not know if they shift the ownership or simply continue to share like now. And I do not expect Queen Letizia to pull out one of the three big tiaras soon, as Queen Sophia has not worn them lately. They most likely keep the appearance of austerity and modesty for some time.

But maybe they will publish the first official portrait of Letizia with tiara? I would love that!
I was thinking the same thing. We won't know for quite awhile what tiaras Queen Sofia passes on to Princess Letizia because the Spanish royals have so few tiara events. I don't expect any kind of formal passing down of jewels but simply for the royal ladies to keep sharing as they do now with Princess Letizia moving up into some of the bigger pieces and Queen Sofia sticking with the smaller pieces.

I too hope that the will release an official portrait of the new queen wearing a tiara.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

What will become of Sofia's jewels post abdication,will her daughter in law get some grand pieces?

Tags
jewellery, queen sofia, sofia