Queen Silvia Jewellery 2: September 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Boris. Thanks for the information. I have looked everywhere for provenance on these and have never seen anything referring to them as belonging to Queen Desideria, only referred to as "The Bernadotte Diamond Earrings". I am curious to the source of your information and does it include other info such as carats, maker, etc.? Thanks again for clarifying the "name" of this pair.

Rascal

I am curious to the source of your information and does it include other info such as carats, maker, etc.? Thanks again for clarifying the "name" of this pair.

Rascal
The source of information about the earrings is the book by Cay Bond and Göran Alm about Queen Silvia's Nobel dresses (written by Bond) and the Bernadotte jewelry (the part written by the longtime Stockholm Palace conservator Alm).

Thanks for the quick answer, Boris. I was going to ask if it was Goran Alm but couldn't remember his name. I hope to start my "royal jewelry" library soon. I see Munn's book referenced quite a bit, but as my interest is primarily with the Swedish (for now), do you think this is a better book to start with?

Thanks again!

As wonderful as Munn's book is, the author's focus lies very much on British tiaras, and from the Bernadotte collection, there are only the cameo tiara and the two tiaras with a British connection (The Connaught and the Edward VII ruby tiara) included.
Unfortunately, there is only a Swedish edition of the book by Bond and Alm, the fact that Alm is a historian and not a jewelry expert is a disadvantage which shows, and it doesn't deal with every piece we know.
But it is the only really detailed work about the Bernadotte jewels so far, there are a few rare photos and many great ones of the jewels worn by Queen Silvia at the Nobel Prize throughout the years, and if you're particularly interested in the Bernadotte collection, it's certainly worth buying.

As wonderful as Munn's book is, the author's focus lies very much on British tiaras, and from the Bernadotte collection, there are only the cameo tiara and the two tiaras with a British connection (The Connaught and the Edward VII ruby tiara) included.
Unfortunately, there is only a Swedish edition of the book by Bond and Alm, the fact that Alm is a historian and not a jewelry expert is a disadvantage which shows, and it doesn't deal with every piece we know.
But it is the only really detailed work about the Bernadotte jewels so far, there are a few rare photos and many great ones of the jewels worn by Queen Silvia at the Nobel Prize throughout the years, and if you're particularly interested in the Bernadotte collection, it's certainly worth buying.

Thanks for the review. Even though I don't speak or read Swedish, I think I'll get this one and muddle through on-line translators when needed rather than getting Munn's book. I appreciate your help.

Oh Rascal, Geoffrey Munn's 'Tiaras - A History of Splendour' may not be comprehensive, but it's the best tiara book going. Fabulous photos, 430 pages, and very entertaining to read. Ever heard of spun glass farmyard settings, or models of coaches and horses as ladies hair decorations? Or this, on the fashion for themed head adornments: "In 1778 there appeared a certain headdress of prodigious height which represented precipitous hills, enamelled fields, silver streams, foaming torrents, symmetrical gardens, and an English Park." Camp and absurd or absurdly camp? With diamonds aglitter, definitely both! :)

Have a second look at Mr Munn, you won't be disappointed.

Hi, Warren. Thansk for your inputs as well. I didn't mean to exclude Munn's book, only that my initial purchase will be the one specific to the Swedes, as that is where my greatest interest is.

I definitely will be looking to add Munn's book in the future as I know there is a great deal of information (some of it possibly incorrect but most of it useful) as well as the aspects you described.

Thanks for the suggestion and helping me (and others) become more knowledgeable in our royal discussion. :flowers:

Oh Rascal, don't discount the Munn "bible", I understand your interest in Swedish jewels, but Munn is fabulous and it doesn't contain incorrect information to the extent that some other jewel books have. Please consider it. You won't regret it.:flowers:

Please don't get me wrong, everybody: Munn's 'Bible' is an absolutely fabulous must-buy for everyone interested in (royal) jewelry.
But the point here is that someone like Rascal will find virtually nothing about the Bernadotte collection in the book which he doesn't already know.

link to the photo
can this be the best photo we have of silvias engamentring?

Original images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• silviasengamentring.jpg
    silviasengamentring.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 361
Yesterday in Munich, Queen Silvia wore a new diamond and ruby pendant, suspended from her modern V-shaped necklace of graduating diamonds, which she has also worn without pendant, and with its original diamond and emerald pendant.
She combined the new pendant with her small diamond and ruby earrings (first seen last year) and her modern diamond bar brooch (which she has had for about five years).

Pics:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9488/hbgnjheu762x428.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/104162533/DPA

I am so used to seeing Queen Silvia in big pieces I forget she has so many wonderful more modern things. I love this necklace! I also am a big fan of bar brooches!

Very pretty, but it's a bit much in the accessories department - earrings, necklace, brooch, multiple braceletes and rings on both arms. I'd take off the brooch and all the bracelets except for one on the arm opposite her wedding rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belgium Nov. 2010-
pic

^ I prefer the one with the colourful pearls and in fact, I'm having a deja vu at the moment. Queen Sofia wore exactly the same necklace yesterday in NY.:blink:

The two-row necklace with very white pearls and diamond clasp originally belonged to Princess Sibylla, the King's mother.
One of his very first gifts to Silvia after their wedding.

:previous:That's a beautiful necklace and I love the clasp. The milky sheen of the pearls is also very interesting and unique.

I have always loved the way this clasp is worn with this necklace. These pearls look as if someone tried to clean them and ruined the luster.:eek:
I'm sure this isn't the case there probably just antique and natural pearls that have lost some of there sheen.:cool:

Lovely panel, Josefine! Thank you for posting it.
The nine-prongs tiara seems to be her favourite, closely followed by the Leuchtenberg sapphire parure, while the amethyst tiara was only once worn at the Nobels.
Now I wonder which tiara you may add onto your panel next Friday!?

The Leuchtenberg sapphire parure goes amazingly well with the emerald green dress. But how nice would it be if there were an emerald tiara in the SRF!

the merald necklace could be to much
i still would like to see if the big emerald necklace could make a good convertble tiara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom