The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Rascal for your additions to the list of 'Who wore which tiara'.
All your additions are correct - you must have a great photo archive!
The one I wouldn't be able to confirm myself is the Baden fringe tiara on Princess Margaretha during the state visit to Great Britain. It would be great indeed if someone could come up with a pic of it.
Two more correction to the list:
- Marianne Bernadotte did wear the Edward VII ruby tiara for the state banquet welcoming Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Sweden in 1983.
- Queen Silvia has never worn the aquamarine bandeau.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps she and Victoria could share the big pieces if the King would die before Silvia.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the post of Lilian in the cut-steel tiara, Josefine. This is the Nobel ceremony, IIRC. Do you know what year this was?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Do you know what year this was?
1985 i think

what about the cut steel tiara when was the first time she wore that one.
what tiaras does she where for official photos...
Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

The cut steel tiara was first worn by Queen Silvia for the return dinner of the state visit to Austria, November 1979.
I don't remember her wearing anything but the Braganca tiara for the most official photos, and a couple of times the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara.

Here's the link to a rare pic of Queen Silvia wearing the cut steel tiara for the very first time in public: With the Austrian Presidential couple in Vienna, November 1979.
I never was able to figure out which necklace she's wearing here - it's not one of the Bernadotte diamond collet necklaces, and of course not the choker which matches the tiara:

http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...59DFB7DD87E2F6
Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Majesty

wow a tresure of photos....
if you search for marianne and bernadotte one can see her in a few tiaras
Old 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, they have quite a few rare pics, but you have to be careful because most of their photo captions have errors.
Among others, here's the last time Marianne Bernadotte wote the Edward VII ruby tiara as a tiara (she wore it a few times as necklace later), before it went back to the King and started to be worn by Queen Silvia.
It was the Stockholm Palace banquet during the state visit of Queen Elizabeth II. in 1983 (as I mentioned before), and Marianne Bernadotte did NOT wear it well, IMO:

http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...72072AA42B4CAA
Old 01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Majesty

can I?

I have mede a closeup and need to use a uppload photo webbsite and then its not taken from the original sources webbsite...

here is the photo from the royal dinner last week

source the ibl site
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018
Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was very nice to see the Bernadotte emeralds again at the first 'representation gala' of the year last week.
For whatever reason, Queen Silvia doesn't wear this particular set very often - the last time was in spring 2007 during the state visit to Sweden.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is a gorgeous emerald necklace, any closer photo?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here's one, from a state visit from Italy to Sweden in 1999:

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

The Bernadotte emeralds used to be worn as a belt of the gala uniform of the first Bernadotte King, former Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte.
They were later set as a necklace, and the belt's clasp became the matching brooch of the set.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Nobility

Boris & Josefine, thank you both for your suggestions. I linked to the Fotoweb site and searched "Bernadotte" and came up with many pages of this family.

HOORAY! While going through the results, I was able to find a pic from the 1960s with Desiree (not Silvia) wearing the small aquamarine bandeau now worn by Madeleine. In addition, I found a 1983 pic with Lilian wearing the Connaught Forget-me-not tiara. Harald is behind her and Bertil is wearing a Norwegian order, so it might be from a state visit? The pic showing Desiree wearing the amethyst tiara is labeled as being from the 1980 Nobel ceremony. The only one I could not find was the state visit to England that shows Margaretha in the background wearing the Baden Fringe. But it may turn up sometime.

NEW REQUEST: Also while going through, I found a pic which is not a closeup but shows Lilian wearing what I believe is the 4-button tiara. If I am correct, this would be the only time that I have ever seen her wearing it. I would like to post a link to the picture but I am unfamiliar with how to accomplish this. Could you please assist by letting me know how and/or if anyone can confirm that Lilian has worn the 4-button I would greatly appreciate it. (I love researching that turns up a new mystery/question!) THANKS!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Has the photo of silvia wearing the Connaught tiara as a necklace been posted here? i trie dto look but could not find it..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Boris!! Love the matching brooch!!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Nobility

I don't recall seeing it on this thread, Josefine. But I have seen it within the last week with all my searching. You might try on the Fotoweb site, I spent a lot of time there in the last couple of days. I know that the pic has to be from the early 1990s or at least the late 1980s. Does anyone know if Silvia has worn the Connaught tiara as a necklace other than this occasion? Also, I know that Sibylla wore the pendants as earrings like Madeleine recently did. Has Silvia ever done so or used the pendants by themselves on a chain like Madde and Victoria have both done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
Has the photo of silvia wearing the Connaught tiara as a necklace been posted here? i trie dto look but could not find it..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here's the pic of Princess Lilian wearing the four button/rosette tiara:

http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...E7B1902388BFB3

Lilian has worn it but not frequently, preferring the six button/rosette tiara. On this pic, she's also wearing her pearl choker with its large diamond center and a diamond collet necklace below.
The four rosettes tiara is the only tiara from the Bernadotte jewelry 'pool' (not counting the pieces which belong personally to the ladies) which Queen Silvia has never worn. Smart move!
Rascal, in order to post a link to a picture you can simple copy the direct link to pictures which are already available on the Net from your browser and then paste the link into your message here.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

The one and only time Queen Silvia wore the Connaught tiara as necklace was during a state visit to Lithuania in October 1992.
I'm always hoping to see her one day wear the two convertible CP Margaret wedding gifts from her British relatives together: The Connaught and the Edward VII ruby tiara, in whichever tiara/necklace combination. Their similar romantic style would be a perfect match and a beautiful sight.
Queen Silvia has never worn the tiara's pendants on a necklace or as earrings.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
Majesty

from sjöbergs bilder

can she have a jewllery in her hair here?
http://arkiv.sjobergbild.se/fotoweb/...924C47D3DB68C0
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Gala tonight Connaught Diamond Tiara 'i would love to see a close up of her necklace. Here is a try to get a up close photo

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/fi...ia20090312.JPG
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Royal Highness

The brooch on the necklace is a pendant from the Bernadotte collection

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill

Tags
jewellery, queen silvia, sweden