Queen Silvia Jewellery 2: September 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said! The tiara is gorgeous, the necklace is impressive, but that gown is horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Silvia during a reception at the Swedish residence in in Brazil yesterday
ANP Beeldbank
The brooch is very beautiful.

Excellent choices. The brooch and the earrings are truly fantastic IMO!

The necklace should have been a little more important for this kind of neckline, nearer to the neck and not partly hidden by the dress-

How old is Queen Silvia? She is a very beautiful woman.:);):)

I love the diamond fringe necklace!!!!! Boris when you say her personal property, did she come into the marriage with it or was it a gift to her from her husband?

The frequently repeated tale about this necklace-tiara is that it was a 10th wedding anniversary gift from her husband.
The only source for this info seems to be an old article from Swedish mag SDT, hardly a good source, and I actually doubt it.

The design practically screams Harry Winston to me, the preferred jewelrer of the Saudi Arabian rulers in the 70s and 80s, and no jewelry gifts to Queen Silvia from a state visit to Saudi Arabia in the early 80s were ever disclosed, although they certainly were given.
The necklace is actually very similar to the King Khalid diamond fringe necklace, a gift from the Saudi Arabian King to Queen Elizabeth II during her state visit to the country in 1979, so my gut feeling is that Queen Silvia's necklace might have the same provenance. Of course I have no proof for this theory.

Queen Silvia first wore the piece in public as a necklace, during a state visit to the USA in 1988.

The necklace worn in Brazil now:
Agencja Fotograficzna BE&W - szczegóły zdjęcia

Worn with the Edward VII ruby tiara, state visit to Portugal in 2007:
Å*védsko Královský pár nabÃ*zÃ* vděčný slavnostnÃ* večeÅ™i do portugalského prezidenta a manželka fotografie | fotobanka Profimedia #0025299765

Worn as a tiara (without an additional row of diamonds at the base), state visit to Greece in 1999:
APA Picturedesk

Worn as a tiara by Princess Madeleine (with the additional diamond row at the bottom), Nobel Awards 2008:
http://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/Preview.fwx?position=75&archiveType=ImageFolder&sorting=ModifiedTimeAsc&search=prinsessan%20and%20madeleine%20and%20nobel%20and%202008&fileId=802ED1D9D4DB256956ACCE1E5C725072C488F6E34A55ABA9DED0721DC87614FC61724FB1914EE1CEF1A62D3834B29BE37A90C286BFC6C1BDFD005B4B9A5F02970F33AB2939162CD316B08416C7F83A342A1535C327F9503F8EC9A0AD125FB91AE1F9FB20216FCAE082E046A915CBFD31EB931CECA667A3115454E8DF77B6D8F9B467CBF0B90F07B747904809743C1451

Thank you Boris for all your information and photos!!

Queen Silvia at the Danish birthday dinner party, wearing her own contemporary diamond fringe tiara, with the optional bottom row of diamonds added, and one of the diamond collet necklaces from the Bernadotte collection:

APA Picturedesk

RE: Queen Siliva

I have read that Queen Silivia's Saphire Tiara can be used with pearls instead, does anyone has a picture of the tiara with the pearls instead of the saphires? Thanks.

The Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara could originally be worn alternatively with upstanding drop pearl spikes instead of the sapphire and diamond clusters, but these pearls are no longer in the royal collection.
The setting for the pearls still exists in the tiara though, sitting behind the sapphires on top.

RE: Queen Siliva

Dear Boris: Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I appreciate it. Continue your great work with our Forum! God Bless!

Here's who has worn the others
diamond rose brosch - Silvia, Madeleine
Emerald set - Silvia
Queen victorias diamnond cousage - Lilian, silvia
4-Button-Victoria, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina. madeleine

Josefine, Princess Lilian has also worn the historic Bernadotte emerald set very often.
Princess Lilian at the 1990 Nobel banquet, one of the many occasions she wore the historic emerald set. She usually combined it with her own emerald drop earrings, as seen here:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6484/tr8980.jpg

The queen has used 5 tiaras for the nobel December 10th

Connaught Diamond Tiara 1977 och 2003
Nine Prag Tiara 1976, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2008 and 2009
Leuchtenberg Tiara 1978, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 2001, 2004 and 2006
Napoleonic Amethyst Tiara 1986
Empress Josephine's Cameo Tiara 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2005

• When she use the Empress Josephine's Cameo Tiara i think she always used the necklace of Cameo
  • I also think the same goes with Leuchtenberg Tiara she has used the Leuchtenberg necklace those times
  • The sapphire, pearl and diamond necklace. The gift to the late Queen Victoria of Sweden then Crown Princess has only been worn once by silvia at the nobel
  • she has once used pearls at the nobel (2008)

Thank you for this very informative list, Josephine. That makes four tiaras which she has worn, but not for the Nobel Awards: Braganza, Ruby tiara, modern fringe and Napoleonic steel cut tiara, if I count correctly. She has never tried one of the button tiaras, has she? (Well, that was a wise decision, imho:whistling:). Has the Queen ever worn the Baden fringe? Or has it gone straight from Princess Lilian to CP Victoria?

Queen Silvia has worn the baden fringe tiara a lot to minor State Vists and also to an offivial Visit to the Vatikan around 1990. As for the button tiaras she had worn the six-button tiara one time to a Representations-Gala a few years ago. But never again. So the only tiaras she has not worn are the four-button tiara and the aquamarine bandeau.

Hi, Tilia C. I can see you are as obsessed as many of the rest of us on the use of the pieces in the Bernadotte jewelry vaults. :)

In response to your questions, Queen Silvia has worn the 6-Button tiara, but only once. It was worn during one of the King's dinner/receptions for members of the government held each spring. It was also worn by Princess Birgitta during the final gala for the King's 60th birthday celebrations, Princess Christina for one of the Nobel Prize ceremonies (I think that was the occasion) and both Victoria and Madeleine for a couple of events each. IMO while Christina and Victoria have managed to pull it off, Princess Lilian is the only one with the hairstyle, confidence, and elegance to pull off such a piece.

The Baden Fringe tiara was indeed used by Queen Silvia many times when she was younger, most famously during the Swedish Royal Family's audience with Pope John Paul II in the 1980's, as well as during a state visit to Canada. During the 1990's, to my knowledge she has only been seen wearing it once...during a state visit to Russia. More often when choosing a fringe tiara, she wrestles her own back from Madeleine's head. :lol:

If you ever see pictures of HM in the 6-Button you will understand why it was ill-advised at the time and has not been seen on her since. The overall look/placement fell far short of the style and elegance we are accustomed to from her.

Hope that answers your questions...have a great day!

Rascal

If you ever see pictures of HM in the 6-Button you will understand why it was ill-advised at the time and has not been seen on her since. The overall look/placement fell far short of the style and elegance we are accustomed to from her.
I absolutely agree, and here’s a picture from the only occasion Queen Silvia ever wore this tiara (in 2004) to check it out.
IMO the reason why the six rosettes tiara looked so bad on Queen Silvia (and others), is very easy to explain: She placed it upright instead of ‘flat’ at a backwards angle, which is the only way to make the tiara look good.
Almost every tiara of the Bernadotte collection is worn straight to a great effect, but with this one it does not work. I don’t think the Queen will repeat the experiment.
The fact that the bottom base of the tiara was still covered in grey to match Princess Lilian’s hair back then (changed by now) did not help matters either.
Pic:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3000/silvia13.jpg

As for the Baden Fringe tiara: The last time Queen Silvia wore it so far was actually as late as 2001 for the state dinner in Russia, combining it with one of her personally owned emerald sets:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9990/65a0xl4hguest.jpg

And a pic of Queen Silvia when she still wore the Baden fringe more frequently, during a 1988 state visit to Canada and with a perfect up-do to frame its shape:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8028/badencanada.jpg

Thanks for the links, Boris, as well as the correction on the dates for Silvia's last use of the Baden Fringe...LOL...I was obviously off by a few years!
And I never realized that the grey covering was on the 6-button when Silvia wore it...definitely ruins the look on her.

Thank you all for the answers and pictures! And yes, I have to admid my obsession: I am a complete tiaraholic:D.

I am really glad that Queen Silvia never repeated the 6 rosettes tiara. She usually knows better how to wear a tiara.
Whereas I usually like substancial tiaras, this is one of the few pieces I would like to see reduced: take of at least the bottom row of diamonds and lower the complete setting. That might make it more wearable for people other than Princess Lilian.

Princess Lilian has worn the Connaught tiara at least once during a State Visit from Norway many years ago (Prince Bertil was still alive) .

Hi, Bobby...you are correct. Earlier in this thread Boris was able to identify this as a state visit from Norway during the 1980s when Prince Bertil was still alive.

Later updates from many sources (including the incomparable Boris and Josefine :flowers:) revealed that Princess Lilian had also worn the 4-Button rosette tiara, also while Prince Bertil was still living...and that Countess Marianne Bernadotte had worn the Edward VII ruby piece as a tiara during a state visit from Great Britain.

Maybe someone would like to do a new complete updated list now Josefine has pointed out that Madeleine has worn both the 4-button rosette tiara and the Diamond Rose Brooch (as a hair ornament)

Along those lines, please allow me to add:

Queen Josephine's pearl, diamond, and ruby spray brooch - worn by Victoria to the final event for Queen Margarethe II's 70th birthday celebrations. (I think this is the first time someone other than Queen Silvia has worn it...can anyone confirm?)

Diamond Rose Brooch - also worn as a hair ornament by Victoria in one of the official pictures for the engagement to Daniel Westling

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara - now the property of Princess Desiree but during the late 1950's/early 1960's, in addition to being used by Margaretha, it was worn on at least one occasion by Princess Birgitta.

----------------

Wow that's a lot more updates than I thought. So maybe someone :whistling: (Tilia C.? nudge..nudge) could go back through this thread and compile a revised complete list that will hopefully need updating again in about 3 weeks after the wedding ceremony.

Thanks to everyone for continuing the interest and development of this thread. I know that we will have MUCH to discuss after the wedding and I look forward to all of your input.

Have a great Friday and weekend!

Rascal

Could someone help with a picture of Queen Louises diamond tiara? I am not aware that I have seen a picture of it yet. Thanks :flowers:

Thanks Boris.
I love Silvia's tiaras. She really does have a good collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom