The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Thanks again, very interesting information! But as you might expect, such replies only give more questions, such as: the Emerald necklace seems to be from the Napoleontic period too, so I suppose it also came from a Beauharnais or Clary?
As we name the steel tiara ´the Napoleontic Steel tiara´, I suppose it has a french provenance too?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Regarding the cut steel tiara, please check out Hannah Reginas post # 80, Marengo!
The story surrounding the tiara of the cut steel parure (there's a matching choker necklace and earrings) is amazing as it seems it was FOUND by Queen Silvia in some Stockholm Palace cupboard in the late 1970's. It was 'lost' until she re-discovered it by accident.
There's no 'Clary' inheritance among the Bernadotte jewels - the Clary family wasn't nobility but fabric traders...
The historic Bernadotte emerald necklace and brooch used to be part of the first Bernadotte King's jeweled sash, so it was originally men's jewelry! Pic:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
As for sharing jewelry or not: After all, Queen Silvia IS the Queen... and as a matter of fact, there are 'only' five tiaras left which Queen Silvia wears exclusively these days: The Braganca, the Leuchtenberg sapphire, the cameo, the Edward VII ruby and the nine prong tiaras. All the other tiaras are being shared with the Princesses, also the King's sisters.
I actually like the concept that while some tiaras are shared, others do stay with one Royal lady as their signature pieces. Better than everybody grabbing everything (like in The Netherlands) or everybody clinging to what's theirs (Great Britain). Seems like the best of both worlds to me in Sweden.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

I have to say that I am enthralled by the jewels of the Swedish Royal Family--in all truth, I've only ever really paid attention to the jewels of the BRF. My mistake--Queen Silvia wears these pieces so beautifully! I am going to enjoy educating myself about these pieces.
That story about the Cut Steel tiara being "found" is wonderful! I think it is safe to say that we never know what we have in our houses!
Also, are there any books that can be recommended about the SRF Jewels?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

A definite book about the Bernadotte jewels has yet to be written... the best so far is a combination about Queen Silvia's Nobel gowns and the Royal Family's jewelry, 'Drottning Silvias festklänningar & det kungliga smyckena' by Cay Bond and Göran Alm, published by Atlantisbok in 2006. It's highly recommendable - although the main focus lies on the Queen's gowns, it provides lots of background information and gorgeous photos of the jewels - but it's available in Swedish only, unfortunately.
I hope that one day someone will write a whole book devoted to the jewels only. IMO, they are not only one of the historically most interesting Royal collections but also esthetically the most beautiful one - never mind a 'Jeep tiara' or two...
As a treat, one of the very few times that Queen Silvia wore the whole cut steel parure, early this year:
And a peek at the most beautiful sapphire parure of the world:
Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
As for sharing jewelry or not: After all, Queen Silvia IS the Queen... and as a matter of fact, there are 'only' five tiaras left which Queen Silvia wears exclusively these days: The Braganca, the Leuchtenberg sapphire, the cameo, the Edward VII ruby and the nine prong tiaras. All the other tiaras are being shared with the Princesses, also the King's sisters.
Don't forget the beautiful Connaught-tiara!
I don't mind that Queen Silvia keeps the grander tiaras to herself, but I do think she could let the Crown princess wear the ruby or Connaught tiara when she herself is wearing the incredible sapphires or the Braganca tiara. Perhaps I would be more content if they had the button-tiaras reset. At prescent, they look rather cheap compared to the Queen's jewellery. The buttons would look much better if they were mounted somewhat like the roses in the British Strathmore rose-tiara or the top part of the Palffy-tiara.

I wonder why Victoria doesn't wear the Cut steele tiara more often? Together with the fringe and amethyst tiaras, she wouldn't have to wear the buttons, or her own invisible tiara.

It must have been year's since we saw the king's sisters wear something other than the button-tiaras, but they don't attend tiara events that often, so I don't mind that since they have their own tiaras. Their private tiaras aren't very grand, but both bigger and more beautiful than Victoria and Madeleine's private pieces.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't include the Connaught tiara in the list of Queen Silvia's 'exclusive' tiaras because Princess Christina continues to wear it from time to time, for example at the 2001 Nobel banquet:
Regarding the two 'Button' tiaras, their label is misleading: Those diamond flowers were originally not buttons at all but rosettes adorning the crown of King Erik XIV (1553 - 1577) and removed by the first Bernadotte King when he remodeled this crown. This makes them the oldest items of jewelry worn by the Bernadotte ladies today.
I totally agree about their present ugly setting. It's not historic but recent - the six rosettes tiara was first created in the early 1970's. Therefore it wouldn't exactly amount to heresy to have them reset in a more appealing style, just like you suggested. I pray that someone out there gets the idea!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

I really enjoy reading your posts, Boris. You seem to have a lot of information!
I hadn't seen that picture of Princess Christina, but I'm glad to see her wearing it. After all, it belonged to her mother, who worn it so often that it is now known as Princess Sibylla's diadem in Sweden (not historically correct at all, and that's a shame, I think).

Where did you find the information about the "buttons". I have read several different theories about their history, but no one seems to really know. Perhaps you have found the answer!
I wonder what people thought about the six-button tiara in the 70s, maybe it was modern at that time? I think both tiaras look as if someone thought:
"Hey, we have a lot of princesses right know, we need more tiaras. Let's wipe the dust off those round button-flowery things from the back of the safe and glue them on to some wires"

To make something of those buttons they will need more diamonds, but if the King could afford the tiara he gave his wife as well as expensive cars and boats, he can afford some diamonds!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Regarding the two 'Button' tiaras, their label is misleading: Those diamond flowers were originally not buttons at all but rosettes adorning the crown of King Erik XIV (1553 - 1577) and removed by the first Bernadotte King when he remodeled this crown. This makes them the oldest items of jewelry worn by the Bernadotte ladies today.
I totally agree about their present ugly setting. It's not historic but recent - the six rosettes tiara was first created in the early 1970's. Therefore it wouldn't exactly amount to heresy to have them reset in a more appealing style, just like you suggested. I pray that someone out there gets the idea!
Do you have a picture of the way it was at the time of King Erik XIV?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't have a picture of the original Erik XIV crown, but the crown as remodeled by Bernadotte is still the present King's crown, pictured here on the left next to the Queen's crown:
Regal symbols - Kungahuset [NS4 version]
The book by Bond and Alm (see my post # 84) contains the information about the rosettes being part of the ancient crown. This book is really the best and most reliable source, but two things about it can drive you crazy: There is no index, and trying to translate special Swedish jewelry vocabulary is some challenge...
In the 70's, they really might have felt the need for more tiaras especially with the King's and Prince Bertil's impending marriages, so I guess you're totally correct about throwing in the 'button-flowery things', Hanna Regina!
As for a resetting, any uneven number would help, and I believe there are enough diamonds around to create a new tiara. The Bernadottes have many similar diamond-only collet necklaces which could be used to frame the rosettes, plus the six rosette tiara already has two (badly positioned) diamond bands at the base:
Fingers crossed for a new beautiful 'flower tiara' one day...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The book by Bond and Alm (see my post # 84) contains the information about the rosettes being part of the ancient crown.
Now you make me feel quite a shamed of myself, since I have read the Alm/Bond book and should have known that! I'll be happy to help you with any translation problems, although some vocabulary is really difficult even for native speakers of Swedish!

What are your opinions of the Edward VII ruby tiara? It certainly was made for an other time and hair fashion, but so was the Connaught tiara and the Queen wears that one so beautifully. Has she only worn it twice? At Prince Joachim's wedding to Alexandra and to a foreign (state) visit?

< directly-attached thumbnail image removed as it breaches both the Forums rules and the copyright law >
Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Hanna Regina for your offer to help translate Alm - I might take you at your word!
The Edward VII ruby tiara is not a favorite piece of mine simply because of the proportions - not wide enough to be so high in the center - but I still think it's a pretty, delicate tiara. There was a matching ruby necklace among the wedding gifts of CP Margaret, given by the then Prince of Wales couple, but this was unfortunately sold.
Queen Silvia has worn the tiara exactly three times: Once as a necklace for the return dinner during Queen Betrix' state visit to Sweden in 1987, and twice as a tiara, for Prince Joachim's 1995 wedding and for the state visit to Japan early this year. On that occasion, she attached a ruby & diamond brooch as a pendant to her collet necklace for the first time:
What I would really love to see is the two wedding gifts of CP Margaret combined - the ruby tiara and the Connaught tiara. Both are convertible to necklaces, so that makes for a few opportunities, and they would nicely complement each other!
It's a pity that Queen Silvia's modern ruby demi-parure, supposed to be a gift from the Sultan of Brunei, is so different in style from the ruby tiara that they can hardly be worn together:
ANP Beeldbank
If the modern rubies had a more neo-classical design, Queen Silvia would have a complete ruby parure... btw, maybe you could post the pic you tried to attach again, as a link?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

I would love to post the picture again, if I knew how to do it! It was a close-up of the tiara that I have photographed off a book.

It's a shame that the matching necklace is gone. Considering the price of rubies, the stones have probably been removed and sold individually. They might even have been re-cut.
I have read parts of the autobiography of Count Carl-Johan Bernadotte, were he wrote about finding some of his mother's jewellery in a shop in New York when he and his first wife were newly-weds. He borrowed money from a friend to buy some things back, but couldn't afford all of it, since he had just lost his title and apanage. I think the ruby necklace was among the items he didn't buy. I read it years ago and don't remember the details, perhaps someone else does?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
maybe you could post the pic you tried to attach again, as a link?
There's no need to repost it as the same pic appears just two pages back, here.

NB.. This picture was posted prior to the introduction of the revised copyright rules. Following legal advice in November 2006, the direct posting of copyright images in the Forums is no longer permitted.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Royal Highness

I LOVE that ruby tiara when I see it in a picture like the one Warren linked us to, but when I see it on the Queen it looks a little cumbersome. I imagine that back when women had more substantial hairstyles it was a vision to behold, and even in sixties with beehive hairdos it may have looked good. I do wish the necklace was in the family--the design of the tiara is so delicate, I'm sure the necklace was as beautiful. I suppose there were earrings, too? Brooches? Bracelet? Was it a complete parue? As for the Saudi rubies--they're lovely, but I vastly prefer a more classic style. But, she wears these well, too.
I have to say that Queen Silvia is a beautful woman who wears these pieces so well!
Oh, and the emerald necklace--OH MY GOODNESS!!!! That is one serious necklace, the size of thoe emeralds are just beautiful. Is is such an interesting contrast to Queen Elizabeth's Emerald necklace she generally wears (Delhi Durbar) that has cabochon emeralds. Such a different effect here with Queen Silvia's necklace---I think it is a breathtaking piece--and the color of the emeralds is so rich and vivid. THey must be worth a fortune.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Among the many jewelry wedding gifts to CP Margaret, the ruby tiara and the necklace were a perfect match, but there were no earrings or bracelet so it wasn't a complete parure. The necklace had five ruby pendants and was very delicate and romantic as well, with the motifs above the pendants matching the lower elements of the tiara.
I remember the story told by Hanna Regina about Prince Carl Johan trying to buy the jewelry back, though I believe it was at a New York auction. Prince Carl Johan happened to be in New York and found out about the auction by chance, borrowed as much cash as he could but not enough to purchase the necklace.
As jbcode 99 seems to be drooling over the Bernadotte emeralds, here are two other pics. Originally, the necklace was a bit longer - Queen Silvia shortened it about ten years ago, probably by removing two of the clusters (I'm waiting for them to re-appear as earrings!). Shorter version:
Original version:
Seems Queen Silvia is drooling over emeralds as well...! I guess I mentioned it once already, but all in all, she has three complete modern demi parures of emeralds and diamonds by now, more classical in style than her rubies.
# 1, emerald cut, gift from her husband ca. 1986:
Förhandsvisning av ' lfi1567.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
# 2, cabochon, first seen in 2000 (long dangling errings hidden):
# 3, another cabochon set, first seen in 2006:
ANP Beeldbank
Must be Queen Silvia's favorite colored stone.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

Do you know how the ruby-necklace turned up at an auction? Was it left to Sigvard along with the tiara, and in that case, did he sell it??

It's such a pity there's no emerald tiara in the Bernadotte-foundation. It holds so many beautiful pieces, but no emerald or pearl tiara (unless you count the cameo tiara, but I don't). And to think that Queen Silvia could have been wearing the norwegian emerald parure today, if only Queen Sofia hadn't been such a fair and generous mother-in-law..

Here's a picture of the tiara from viola's album at webshots.com. There are lots of goodies there for royal jewellery lovers! Check out the other emerald tiaras, perhaps we could recommend one to Silvia!
Emerald & Diamond Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots

I don't know whether this link has been posted here before, if so I'm sorry for re-posting it.

This is a great site about the jewellery of the Swedish royal family and there are lots of photos of the Queen and the Princesses wearing them. It's in Dutch, but the pictures speak for themselves. Just click the links in the list of jewellery on the left.
ZweedseJuweeltjes
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

CP Margareta's ruby necklace is reported to have been among the jewels sold at the New York auction.
I never really liked the emerald parure which is now with Queen Sonja... the design of the tiara is somehow awkward with all those geometric motifs, and the removal of two emeralds from it in order to create matching earrings didn't help to make it more elegant either.
By the way: The emerald parure is going back to Empress Joséphine but was inherited by Empress Amelie of Brasil before finding its way to Sweden.
Among the emerald tiaras in Viola's great album, this beauty would look splendid on Queen Silvia, IMO (in theory):
Emerald & Diamond Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots
Regarding the pearl and diamond combination: Of course there once was a grand diamond tiara with swinging drop pearls in the Bernadotte collection, owned by Queen Lovisa - but this crowns the head of Queen Margrethe these days. I mourn its 'loss' far more than the one of the emeralds:
Förhandsvisning av ' 0234684.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
Originally, the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara could be worn alternatively with large upstanding pearl spikes on top. I always wondered what happened to those pearls. Someone should alert Queen Silvia!
Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

I knew I would find the french emerald tiara of Empress Eugenie when I clicked your link! That one is my favourite as well. I actually like Sonja's tiara, but they should have changed it a little when they removed the stones for the earrings. They could have used only one or two geometric themes and placed the big central emerald in the same way as the other square stones.

This picture shows Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden wearing the emerald parure for the coronation of her cousin, George V. Here the stones have not yet been removed from the tiara and the necklace is also different, it's much grander than today.
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs3...tain1882-3.jpg
from left: The Duke of Connaught, Princess Patricia of C, The Duchess of C. Prince Arthur of C. and the Crown Princely couple of Sweden.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Nobel Prize 2007

Queen Silvia 1
polfoto
Queen Silvia 2
anp

The necklace and tiara are stunning!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Majesty