The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia at a gala dinner in Wilmington on Saturday evening, with the ruby tiara as a necklace.
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandler...6-e578ed6e181e
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandler...8-94fb754e1356

Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Might be just me but I don't like it in its necklace form,just looks odd!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like it much more as a necklace than as a tiara.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Serene Highness

Aaaah, I somehow HATE this sentence, but I neither love it as a tiara nor as a necklace. It is simply un-balanced, so I am blaming the jeweler for this piece of "artwork". It should have been less huge circles, instead 5 of them and this would have been much better....

Grrr.... and the Swedish Royal Family really lacks of great ruby jewels.

Nevertheless I think it is great, that the King bought it back..... and the Q Silvia is really trying to wear it occasionally to get rid of the negative stories around it

BYe Bine
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

Given it's history I tend to overlook that it is rather un-balanced. The ruby necklace worked quite well with the necklace of the Queen's blue dress. The first time she wore it as necklace it looked much worse, because it hung over the neckline over the closth of her dress, and the busy sleeves competed with the necklace.

I really wish that there would be a photo of CP Margaret wearing the ruby tiara on her wagon-wheel hairstyle. The tiara must have been designed in order to nest on such a hairstyle.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Might be just me but I don't like it in its necklace form,just looks odd!
Maybe you should reconsider, my lord! IMO the necklace conforms with the neckline of the blue dress. The piece looks dated as a tiara if you ask me. If it hadn't been for the tiaras's provenance it would have been sold or broken up a long time ago. There's also the Connaught tiara, in itself a beautiful piece of jewellery, however it was made for the hairdos in the beginning of the 20th century. Just take a look at Princess Madeleine at the wedding of Victoria & Daniel, It didn't look right, as if it was too big for her hairdo.

viv
Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The necklace may have worked well with the neckline of the dress, but I think it looks dated in this style as well. Those medallions look too bulky and overwhelming. If I were redesigning this piece as a necklace, I'd detach the two side pieces, adding two of the smaller cross-like motifs in their place and leave the central one as a single hanging pendant. I think it would look more interesting with the one ruby medallion as the focal point.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see what you mean but I wouldn't take anything off
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I can see you just love that bling! Sometimes a little less can bring out the beauty of a piece more.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
The necklace may have worked well with the neckline of the dress, but I think it looks dated in this style as well. Those medallions look too bulky and overwhelming. If I were redesigning this piece as a necklace, I'd detach the two side pieces, adding two of the smaller cross-like motifs in their place and leave the central one as a single hanging pendant. I think it would look more interesting with the one ruby medallion as the focal point.
As a modern necklace design, what you have described would look beautiful! However this is a grand Edwardian piece in every sense of the word and is therefore not meant to look up to date today! I wonder if when new people criticised it for being modern or avant garde???
In my opinion it suits very well a lady of Queen Sylvia's years both as a necklace or a tiara - who knows if Crown Princess Victoria were to wear it !
Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

The piece may not be meant to have a more current look but given how many owners nowadays restyle royal jewels of generations past into more wearable and versatile styles i.e. CP Mary's ruby parure, it might be interesting to see how this tiara/necklace can be similarly converted.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Majesty

Rubies for Silvia tonight
Old 06-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Nobility

Her jewels worked great with that green dress but i'm still a but dissapointed at Silvia. I'm not saying that i don't like the nine prong tiara. I do but as the mother of the bride and the only Queen present she should have used something more impressive.

Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Birgitta and Princess Desirée looked more impressive then her.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Royal Highness

Noone wears the pronger like Silvia. (Remember Birgatta in 2010?) But I'm just bored to see it over and over again. It was her daughter's wedding, she really should have gone for the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara, imo.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Noone wears the pronger like Silvia. (Remember Birgatta in 2010?) But I'm just bored to see it over and over again. It was her daughter's wedding, she really should have gone for the Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara, imo.
Probably the Leuchtenberg sapphires are reserved for Carl Philip's Wedding. I was also disappointed with the pronger again. And such a simple necklace. I thought she almost looked underbejewelled next to Victoria.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Majesty

Updated

The queen has used 5 tiaras for the nobel December 10th

Connaught Diamond Tiara 1977 och 2003
Nine Prag Tiara 1976, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011
Leuchtenberg Tiara 1978, 1981, 1984, 1985, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2012
Napoleonic Amethyst Tiara 1986
Empress Josephine's Cameo Tiara 1992, 1996, 1998 and 2005
  • When she use the Empress Josephine's Cameo Tiara i think she always used the necklace of Cameo
  • I also think the same goes with Leuchtenberg Tiara she has used the Leuchtenberg necklace those times
  • The sapphire, pearl and diamond necklace. The gift to the late Queen Victoria of Sweden then Crown Princess has only been worn once by silvia at the nobel
  • she has once used pearls at the nobel (2008)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I agree. She can wear the nine prong like no one else. But she looked underbejewelled compared to Victoria and Birgitta. She could have used the emerald demi parure to this dress and tiara to make it look more impressive.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Majesty

is it the second diamond flower brosch silvia is wearing or is it a third one? it look more delicat them the two i know of
itsnot the one madeleine has used in her hair
Old 06-11-2013, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I am disappointed that she wore the Nine Prong tiara at the wedding. Not only do I dislike it, she wears it so often. I really hoped that she would wear the Sapphire parure for the wedding.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Gentry

Ive once read somewhere that it existed a identical topas demi parure as the one queen silva wears today. That it was given to a sister of the original owner of the swedish set. Does someone know if this is correct? And if so, is it known where that set is today?

Tags
jewellery, queen silvia, sweden