The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Majesty

i still hope we will see it more in close up in the future. As for now i am not to keen on the new set of jewllery.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

For the first time since Prince Joachim of Denmark's wedding in 1995, Queen Silvia has worn the Connaught ruby tiara again. The occasion is the gala dinner during the Swedish Royal couple's state visit to Japan. She also seems to wear a (new?) ruby & diamond pendant on her diamond necklace. Link to pics, thankfully posted by Marianne on the Royal Jewels MB:

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Silvia in the ruby tiara!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I like it much better now, perhaps the present hairstyle is better suited to match the tiara? It is the first time that I look at it and I don't get the feeling that it should have stayed a necklace anyway...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
For the first time since Prince Joachim of Denmark's wedding in 1995, Queen Silvia has worn the Connaught ruby tiara again. The occasion is the gala dinner during the Swedish Royal couple's state visit to Japan. She also seems to wear a (new?) ruby & diamond pendant on her diamond necklace. Link to pics, thankfully posted by Marianne on the Royal Jewels MB:

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Queen Silvia in the ruby tiara!
Is this the Tiara that the king has a fight about with one of his uncles? another thing, Why is Sylvia wearing a tiara if the Empress isn't? It seems to me that QSylvia has a knack at being the only royal wearing a tiara at certain events, please comment if this is true.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is the one. I believe he had a fight with his uncle Sigvard about it.
-
As others stated in other threads, the empress might have scaled down her appearance due to the earthquake that hit a part of Japan.

Here a picture of Sylvia on her second day in Japan, wearing more lovely jewels from the swedish collection.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Queen Silvia, October 2007

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/256...1137963wr7.jpg
Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

This has to be one of the largest crowns I've seen from a royal. This must give her a headache.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1046296690

Does anyone have coronation pics of the King and Queen of Sweden?

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Princess View Post
Does anyone have coronation pics of the King and Queen of Sweden?
The King's Enthronement thread can be found in the Swedish Forum.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Silvia wore the cameo tiara last night at a state banquet during a state visit to Austria.

Corbis
Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Silvia is so elegant! I love seeing her in all these jewels. But, I can't seem to find any pics of her in the amethyst tiara--can anyone share?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here are two pics of Queen Silvia wearing the amethyst tiara she created. IMO it looks definitely better on her than on CP Victoria, with whom she shares it these days... Enjoy:
Nobel awards ceremony 1986:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Crown Princely wedding in Denmark:
Old 11-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Boris,
Many thanks! I do agree, the amethyst tiara looks much better on Queen Silvia; it sits a little better on the head or something. It just works better for her, I think.
And that necklace--its so pretty. I like seeing Royals wearing amethysts. They're beautful stones, we dont' really see them a lot.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love amethysts too. The Bernadotte amethyst parure is really unique since the stones are so large and rich in color. You might know that the tiara was originally a (rather chunky) necklace before Queen Silvia had set in on a frame in the late 1970's. The frame isn't too pretty though; it needs the right hairstyle to cover it, and CP Victoria's hairdresser never seems to get it right, with the tiara also ending up at weird angles.
In its present form, the necklace comes apart in two bracelets and there are two different brooches with an additional detachable amethyst drop.
These days, the only comparable Royal amethyst sets are Queen Elizabeth II's Kent demi-parure (far too rarely worn), the modern Norwegian parure (not as beautiful) and the Luxemburg amethysts which unfortunately have a rather brownish shade.
Queen Silvia showing the new parure in 1980:
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

As you are saying ´her new parure´ does that mean she bought the it new or were the stones already there? If it is a Bernadotte piece, do you have any idea about it´s provenance?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am sorry that I didn't express myself clearly. By 'new parure' I strictly meant the jewelry's present form with the tiara that Queen Silvia has created from what was originally the suite's larger necklace. In fact, it's among the old Bernadotte jewelry and has an interesting provenance:
Like many other jewels, it came to the Swedish Royal Family through Queen Josefina, born of Leuchtenberg (1807 - 1876).
Her paternal grandmother was Empress Josephine, Naboleon's first wife. The amethyst parure is of Napoleonic origin, made in the early 19th century, and Empress Josephine herself probably left it to her son Eugène, Josefina's father.
He gave the amethysts to his daughter when she married Swedish Crown Prince Oscar in 1823... Oscar being the son of the first Bernadotte King and his wife Desiree, born Clary - who happened to be Napoleon's first love.
Maybe it's complicated but absolutely fascinating, IMHO. If only these amethysts could talk...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the interesting story about the provenance Boris, it gives me the perfect excuse to shamelesly promote the article on Eugene´s sister Hortense But does Queen Silvia have other pieces that came from Queen Josefina? The Topaz necklace maybe? I believe the emerald parure of the Norwegian RF comes from Josefina too, or did it belong to Desiree?

I was also wondering about the provenance of the Braganca diademe, esp. as I don´t recal any anscestors of the King ever married a Braganca...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Not the pink topaz necklace. It was a gift to Grand Duchess marie of Russia by her father Tsar paul I. she left it to her daughter the german Empress Augusta, who left it to her daughter Grand Duchess Luise of baden who left it to her daughter Queen Viktoria of Sweden,

But the Leuchtenberg sapphire parure and the Cameo's come both from Queen Josephine.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

You're absolutely correct, Stefan.
Regarding Marengo's question about the Braganca tiara: Brazil comes into the play here because the tiara belonged to Empress Amelie of Brazil (1812-1873) born Leuchtenberg, Queen Josefina's sister. The tiara is even older though, from the end of the 18th century, and was remodeled for Empress Amelie who left it to her sister along with more diamonds, all of them called by Josefina 'The Brazilian parure'. Among them were this brooch, worn here with the Braganca tiara:
Förhandsvisning av ' tr2430.jpg ' - Sjöberg bild +46 (0) 940 360 14 *|*registrera dig eller e-posta
and the diamonds in these earrings, which were created by Queen Silvia by using the old stones (note the size of the lower single diamond!):
The Norwegian emerald parure again dates back to Empress Josephine, were given to Empress Amelie and later found their way first into the Swedish and then the Norwegian Royal Family.
The Leuchtenberg jewelry vaults ca. 1820, before Josefina's and Amelie's marriages, must have been an amazing sight!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

PS, I just had to post the following picture:
Queen Elizabeth II being (almost?) out-glittered by awesome Queen Silvia before the gala dinner at Stockholm Palace during the state visit from Great Britain to Sweden in 1983.
As far as I know, this is the very first time Queen Silvia ever wore the Braganca tiara in public. During her first seven years as Queen, she only wore it for official portraits - maybe due to the tiara's immense weight.
Pic:
Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Leuchtenberg jewelry vaults ca. 1820, before Josefina's and Amelie's marriages, must have been an amazing sight!
It sure must have been amazing! The Napoleonic cut steele tiara also came to Sweden with Josephine, it was once worn by her aunt Hortense, Queen of Holland and mother of Napoleon III. The Norwiegan diamond tiara also belonged to Josephine, I think she left it to her only grand daughter, Queen Lovisa/Louise of Denmark, who also inherited Queen Desideria's rubies and her mother's Orange-Nassau pearls.

I agree with you that the amethyst tiara looks better on the Queen in its present form, but I think the colour of the stones suits Victoria better. I think they should have the tiara reset for the CP, she doesn't have that many tiaras. The queen has so many beautiful pieces to choose from, but she doesn't seem to keen on sharing them with her daughters and Princess Lilian. Several years ago we could see Princess Lilian wearing both the Baden fringe and the nine prongs tiara, but now a days she has to fight the Princesses for the horrible button tiaras unless she wears her own. Such a shame. Imagine the sight if the ladies would wear the more important pieces of the collection all at once!

Tags
jewellery, queen silvia, sweden