The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Courtier

You haven´t got the ruby tiara, even though one can wonder if it is still in the possetion of the RF since we only have seen Silvia wear it once - at Prince Joakim & Alexandras wedding in 1995, atleast that´s the only time i can recall seeing the queen wearing it. But maybe she has it locked up in the vaults beacuse of the dispute with prince Sigvard a few years ago

Old 10-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Serene Highness

ok thaks!
but good image of that tiara is really hard to find, because, I found only photoshopped version and on other photos it vas very blury. *sigh*

Old 10-07-2006, 05:44 AM
Majesty

small photos of the tiara can be found in my blogg
Old 10-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
... good image of that tiara is really hard to find, because, I found only photoshopped version and on other photos it vas very blury. *sigh*
mims, is this what you're after?

Diamond & Ruby Tiara

courtesy Wartski tiara exhibition and P de V, March 1997
Old 10-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Courtier

Ye Gods and Little Fishes,

Talk about an ugly piece of jewelry, no wonder the marvelous Sylvia does not wear it. I used to think those button thingies were the living end, next of course to the QMII poppy queen of outer space horror but this really is the living end. Right up there with the Wurtemburg Ruby Good Witch of the East State Fair Tiara. Why is it that people have such a hard time with rubies. But they do.

The best thing they could do with this monstrosity is to have a raffle and raise money for the poor starving people of Dafour with that plug ugly as the door prize. The people of Sweden would find that right up their alley. cheers.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Courtier

That was a gift from King Edward VII of England to Margaret of Connaught when she married the future King Gustav VI Adolf in 1905. In fact, it was part or an entire ruby parure. The shape in particular does not go with our current ideas of fashion, but at the time, perched above the "Gibson Girl" hair, it looked lovely.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Had the Queen ever worn the Baden Fringe tiara? I have yet to see a picture where she is wearing it.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia has worn the Baden Fringe tiara frequently until CP Victoria started wearing it. For several years she shared it with Princess Lilian. There are a few pics on Josefine's blog
http://swedish-royal-jewlery.blogspot.com/
and also in the first part of this thread.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

I believe the last time Queen Silvia wore the Baden fringe tiara was at the gala during thde state visit to Russia in late 2001, I believe. It's the pic with the green velvet dress on your blog, Josefine.
Coming up with the exact number of how many times she wore it is quite an impossible task as she wore it continously from 1976 on, both in Sweden and on state visits, though never for the Nobel. Generally, it was reserved for slightly 'less grand' occasions.
These days it's the tiara that suits CP Victoria best IMO, but I also like the way Queen Silvia wore it - less close to her head and more part of her great upswept hairdos.
There are so many fringe tiaras around in Royal collections, but the shape & design of this one is my favorite.
I also appreciate the way how the Swedish RF considers some tiaras as strictly being worn by one member, lending a personal touch, while certain others (like the unfortunate button tiaras) are being shared. The six button tiara might be the only one worn by Princess Madeleine, Princess Lilian, CP Victoria and Queen Silvia.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

The six button tiara might be the only one worn by Princess Madeleine, Princess Lilian, CP Victoria and Queen Silvia.

Don't forget Princess Birgitta, Boris. She wore the 6-Button to the King's 60th birthday celebrations. That makes five living Swedish royal women who have worn that tiara.

Here's who has worn the others:

Baden Fringe - Silvia, Lillian, Victoria, Desiree, Christina.
Braganca Diamond - Silvia (I think only the queen may wear this one).
Connaught Forget-Me-Not - Silvia, Desiree, Christina.
Aquamarine Bandeau - Madeleine, Silvia, Christina.
4-Button-Victoria, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree, Christina.
Cameo Tiara-Silvia, Birgitta, Desiree. (maybe soon Victoria, Madeleine, & Emma?)
King Carl XVI Gustaf Fringe-Silvia, Madeleine, Victoria (only as a necklace).
King Edward VII Ruby-Silvia, Countess Marianne Bernadotte (as a necklace).
Leuchtenberg Sapphire-Silvia, Birgitta.
Napoleonic Cut-Steel - Silvia, Christina, Victoria.
Queen Josephine's Amethysts-Silvia, Victoria, Christina, Margaretha.
Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara-Desiree, Margaretha, Christina.
Queen Sophie's Nine-Prong-Silvia, Lillian, Margaretha.

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anyone, unless someone is still alive that I am unaware of.

Mapper
Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Great list, 'Mapper'!
Just a few additional notes:
The cameo tiara and Leuchtenberg sapphire tiara have only been worn by Queen Silvia since her marriage.
Countess Marianne Bernadotte also wore the Kingward VII ruby tiara as a tiara once, in the early 1980's when invited to one of the New Year's galas at the Palace.
Both Queen Silvia and Princess Lilian have stopped wearing the Baden fringe tiara since it became CP Victoria's 'Trademark'.
Princess Lilian stopped wearing the Nine-Prong-tiara in the 1980s, leaving it exclusively for Queen Silvia.
And finally, it's totally new to me that Queen Silvia ever wore the aquamarine bandeau tiara! As you obviously have a great overview, do you remember when and on what occasion?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Not about Silvia but about Lilian's jewellery http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Sweden/Lilian/lilian.htm

and rest ladies http://swedish-royal-jewlery.blogspot.com/
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Aristocracy

And finally, it's totally new to me that Queen Silvia ever wore the aquamarine bandeau tiara! As you obviously have a great overview, do you remember when and on what occasion?

Okay, total brain cramp! It was Desiree not Silvia who wore the aquamarine bandeau. Thanks for your other updates as well, Boris!

Mapper
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Majesty

Silvia wore her ruby necklace in the US last night is there any good close uo on the necklace
Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Attending the "bambie-award" (30-11-2006)

Wearing a red necklace and matching earrings

red necklace
another view

(ANP)

Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Majesty

So silvia wore the Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara at the nobel 2006
Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
So silvia wore the Leuchtenberg Sapphire tiara at the nobel 2006
Yes, Josefine, and she looked ravishing. Those jewels are one of my favorites. Absolutely breathtaking.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 AM
Majesty

At last night gala silvia wore the cut steel tiara and a necklace we have not seen in many years
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
At last night gala silvia wore the cut steel tiara and a necklace we have not seen in many years
Here's a picture of Queen Silvia wearing the Cut Steel Tiara:
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...=4567769&pos=2

Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty
Attending the "bambie-award" (30-11-2006)

Wearing a red necklace and matching earrings

red necklace
another view

(ANP)
It's rare to see a new grand set of jewelry appearing on any Queen these days, so what's your take on this demi-parure, dear fellow posters?
There was never any definite opinion given on Queen Silvia's new set featuring necklace, matching earrings, a very large ring... and I bet there might be a matching bracelet out there as well.
I wonder if the red stones are cabochon rubies or mere garnets? Are they set in yellow gold plus diamonds? Also, at first glance I thought it might be a vintage 1930's design but of course I might be wrong -ideas, anybody?

Tags
jewellery, queen silvia, sweden