The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for this very informative list, Josephine. That makes four tiaras which she has worn, but not for the Nobel Awards: Braganza, Ruby tiara, modern fringe and Napoleonic steel cut tiara, if I count correctly. She has never tried one of the button tiaras, has she? (Well, that was a wise decision, imho). Has the Queen ever worn the Baden fringe? Or has it gone straight from Princess Lilian to CP Victoria?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Queen Silvia has worn the baden fringe tiara a lot to minor State Vists and also to an offivial Visit to the Vatikan around 1990. As for the button tiaras she had worn the six-button tiara one time to a Representations-Gala a few years ago. But never again. So the only tiaras she has not worn are the four-button tiara and the aquamarine bandeau.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Nobility

Hi, Tilia C. I can see you are as obsessed as many of the rest of us on the use of the pieces in the Bernadotte jewelry vaults.

In response to your questions, Queen Silvia has worn the 6-Button tiara, but only once. It was worn during one of the King's dinner/receptions for members of the government held each spring. It was also worn by Princess Birgitta during the final gala for the King's 60th birthday celebrations, Princess Christina for one of the Nobel Prize ceremonies (I think that was the occasion) and both Victoria and Madeleine for a couple of events each. IMO while Christina and Victoria have managed to pull it off, Princess Lilian is the only one with the hairstyle, confidence, and elegance to pull off such a piece.

The Baden Fringe tiara was indeed used by Queen Silvia many times when she was younger, most famously during the Swedish Royal Family's audience with Pope John Paul II in the 1980's, as well as during a state visit to Canada. During the 1990's, to my knowledge she has only been seen wearing it once...during a state visit to Russia. More often when choosing a fringe tiara, she wrestles her own back from Madeleine's head.

If you ever see pictures of HM in the 6-Button you will understand why it was ill-advised at the time and has not been seen on her since. The overall look/placement fell far short of the style and elegance we are accustomed to from her.

Hope that answers your questions...have a great day!

Rascal
Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If you ever see pictures of HM in the 6-Button you will understand why it was ill-advised at the time and has not been seen on her since. The overall look/placement fell far short of the style and elegance we are accustomed to from her.
I absolutely agree, and here’s a picture from the only occasion Queen Silvia ever wore this tiara (in 2004) to check it out.
IMO the reason why the six rosettes tiara looked so bad on Queen Silvia (and others), is very easy to explain: She placed it upright instead of ‘flat’ at a backwards angle, which is the only way to make the tiara look good.
Almost every tiara of the Bernadotte collection is worn straight to a great effect, but with this one it does not work. I don’t think the Queen will repeat the experiment.
The fact that the bottom base of the tiara was still covered in grey to match Princess Lilian’s hair back then (changed by now) did not help matters either.
Pic:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3000/silvia13.jpg

As for the Baden Fringe tiara: The last time Queen Silvia wore it so far was actually as late as 2001 for the state dinner in Russia, combining it with one of her personally owned emerald sets:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9990/65a0xl4hguest.jpg

And a pic of Queen Silvia when she still wore the Baden fringe more frequently, during a 1988 state visit to Canada and with a perfect up-do to frame its shape:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8028/badencanada.jpg

Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the links, Boris, as well as the correction on the dates for Silvia's last use of the Baden Fringe...LOL...I was obviously off by a few years!
And I never realized that the grey covering was on the 6-button when Silvia wore it...definitely ruins the look on her.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you all for the answers and pictures! And yes, I have to admid my obsession: I am a complete tiaraholic.

I am really glad that Queen Silvia never repeated the 6 rosettes tiara. She usually knows better how to wear a tiara.
Whereas I usually like substancial tiaras, this is one of the few pieces I would like to see reduced: take of at least the bottom row of diamonds and lower the complete setting. That might make it more wearable for people other than Princess Lilian.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Lilian has worn the Connaught tiara at least once during a State Visit from Norway many years ago (Prince Bertil was still alive) .
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Nobility

Hi, Bobby...you are correct. Earlier in this thread Boris was able to identify this as a state visit from Norway during the 1980s when Prince Bertil was still alive.

Later updates from many sources (including the incomparable Boris and Josefine ) revealed that Princess Lilian had also worn the 4-Button rosette tiara, also while Prince Bertil was still living...and that Countess Marianne Bernadotte had worn the Edward VII ruby piece as a tiara during a state visit from Great Britain.

Maybe someone would like to do a new complete updated list now Josefine has pointed out that Madeleine has worn both the 4-button rosette tiara and the Diamond Rose Brooch (as a hair ornament)

Along those lines, please allow me to add:

Queen Josephine's pearl, diamond, and ruby spray brooch - worn by Victoria to the final event for Queen Margarethe II's 70th birthday celebrations. (I think this is the first time someone other than Queen Silvia has worn it...can anyone confirm?)

Diamond Rose Brooch - also worn as a hair ornament by Victoria in one of the official pictures for the engagement to Daniel Westling

Queen Louise's Diamond Tiara - now the property of Princess Desiree but during the late 1950's/early 1960's, in addition to being used by Margaretha, it was worn on at least one occasion by Princess Birgitta.

----------------

Wow that's a lot more updates than I thought. So maybe someone (Tilia C.? nudge..nudge) could go back through this thread and compile a revised complete list that will hopefully need updating again in about 3 weeks after the wedding ceremony.

Thanks to everyone for continuing the interest and development of this thread. I know that we will have MUCH to discuss after the wedding and I look forward to all of your input.

Have a great Friday and weekend!

Rascal
Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Could someone help with a picture of Queen Louises diamond tiara? I am not aware that I have seen a picture of it yet. Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Boris.
I love Silvia's tiaras. She really does have a good collection.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Queen Louise's tiara

Hi Countess Felicitas. I'm not sure that a picture of Queen Louise's tiara by itself actually exists. But if you review the thread on Swedish jewels, the tiara is now the property of Princess Desiree. Although she has in the past borrowed the Baden Fringe (for the pre-wedding festivities of the King and Queen) and the Amethyst tiara (for the 1980 Nobel ceremonies), Queen Louise's tiara is now only worn by her.

In many of the pictures the tiara appears small, but it is actually substantial in size, it is usually just hidden in her rather bouffant hairstyle. The tiara itself consists of all diamonds rising from the ends to a central point almost in a triangle shape. Between the top and bottom rows of the tiara are diamond scrolls decreasing in size as they reach the edges. Queen Louise wore the tiara low on her forehead (between her eyebrows and hairline) as was the style of the time. I have only seen one photo of her wearing it. As she was rather young, I believe it was before she married and became Crown Princess of Sweden.

Hope you understand my description. Have a great day!

Rascal
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Nobility

Sorry about my ignorance - but are we talking about this one?
Princess Birgitta of Sweden Pearl and Diamond Tiara |Perlen Diadem - Hochzeitsgeschenk an Prinzessin Birgitta
Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
No. this is a differnt one. It was a Wedding gift to Princess Birgitta from her paternal grandparents. It was worn by Birgitta's daughter Désirée of Hohenzollern on her first Wedding and also at the 60th birthday Gala of King Carl XVI. Gustaf.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Nobility

So my plea again - anybody has a picture or a link to the Princess Louise tiara? Thanks so much.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
So my plea again - anybody has a picture or a link to the Princess Louise tiara? Thanks so much.
Here you are, Countess - worn by Queen Louise and by Princess Désirée at the state banquet for The Japanese Emperor in 2000. I have a clear photo but can not post it due to copy right issues.

ETA - here's another one - Link

Bobby
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

...and one more -
Princess Désirée wearing the tiara at King Harald of Norway's 70th birthday gala three years ago:

ANP Beeldbank
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator

A clearer picture of the tiara...
-> Princess Désirée 1995
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

A clearer picture of the tiara...
-> Princess Désirée 1995
Hi, Warren. Thanks for the pic. This may be slightly off-topic but is in regards to the brooch Princess Desiree wears in this photo. The center stone looks pink to me. Is it possibly borrowed from the pink topaz collection of the Swedish house or is it her own personal brooch?

Thanks in advance for any info and thank you again for the picture.

Rascal
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

A collection of Silvia's tiara's.
Queen silvia image by cilililingi on Photobucket

Does anyone know the name of this tiara? It's my fave.
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7083/s17ra.jpg
Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness

It looks like the Braganza tiara but I'm not sure.
http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/Braganza1.jpg

Tags
jewellery, queen silvia, sweden