The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Courtier

I suppose one could argue over the definition of a tiara, of if some necklaces are really converted into tiaras or simply worn in the hair. Either way, the effect is the same. (Remember, in the 19th century it was common to refer to almost all tiaras as "hair ornaments").

Old 08-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Gentry

it's not that small ... so why not calling it a tiara ?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1054936589

it's not that small ... so why not calling it a tiara ?
Because it's just some plastic thing she put in her hair. It looks nice but it's got nothing to do with a tiara.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathérine Bergeyck
Because it's just some plastic thing she put in her hair. It looks nice but it's got nothing to do with a tiara.
Was it really plastic !!! I didn't know that, I was thinking about a bracelet or something made of yellow gold with diamonds & rubies.

But plastic, goschie...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry maybe it was before, but does Paola's family has any jewels (tiaras, necklaces etc.)? Does she ever wore them or she wear only royal jewelry?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Sorry maybe it was before, but does Paola's family has any jewels (tiaras, necklaces etc.)? Does she ever wore them or she wear only royal jewelry?
I don'tthink that her family was that rich to have their own tiaras, diamond necklaces, etc... I think that most jewels are Belgian royal jewels.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

I have the feeling that Paola is very conscious about the fact that she has the littelest jewels from all the Queens, I have seen pictures of her nervously fingering her not so prominant necklaces and bracelets!
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

- List of the Belgian tiaras from Danjel's site (no pictures)

http://groups.msn.com/RoyaltyDanjel/belgieindexw.msnw

few of them exact provenance unknown. Pity becouse I would like to Belgiand ladies on them.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I have the feeling that Paola is very conscious about the fact that she has the littelest jewels from all the Queens, I have seen pictures of her nervously fingering her not so prominant necklaces and bracelets!
In fact the Belgian royal family has a considerable collection of nice jewels, the problem is that they do not share the jewels, like the Dutch or the Swedish royal family do.

The strange thing is that King Leopold II has set up the Dotation Royale which owns enormous possessions and is self-supporting, even so that they can fund the upkeep of many stately homes to the display of the Belgian royal family.

I have never understood why the Dotation Royale has never invested its gigantic capital in some nice cassettes of jewels for the Belgian royal family.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Maybe they think they can make-do with the jewels they have...?
I'd really like to see Paola with a new and extremly classy/elegant tiara. Not that the one's she has now are not classy and elegant, I'm just saying that if she gets any new tiaras, that they be as classy and elegant as the rest.
Paola comes from a royal Italian family...right?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Paola comes from a royal Italian family...right?
More Princely than Royal. Her father was Don Fulco, Principe Ruffo di Calabria, Duca di Guardia Lombarda.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
More Princely than Royal. Her father was Don Fulco, Principe Ruffo di Calabria, Duca di Guardia Lombarda.
Line I: Ruffo di Calabria The members of this line bear the title Don/Donna and the surname Ruffo di Calabria.
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/ruffo.html

Parents.
Principe (con Decreto Ministeriale 15-5-1928) Don Fulco (* Napoli 12-8-1884 + Ronchi di Apuana 23-8-1946), 13° Duca di Guardia Lombarda e 17° Conte di Sinopoli dal 1901, Patrizio Napoletano; Senatore del Regno d’Italia dal 6-4-1834 (convalida 4-5-1934, giuramento 5-5-1934), Questore del Senato 15-4-1939/5-8-1943 e 6-8-1943/12-7-1944 (dimissionario), Membro della Commissione per il giudizio dell'Alta Corte di Giustizia 22-9-1937/2-3-1939, Cavaliere dell’Ordine Militare di Savoia, insignito di Medaglia d'oro, 2 Medaglie d'argento e 4 Medaglie di bronzo al Valor Militare e di Croce al merito di guerra; fu un celebre pilota di caccia ed "asso" della Prima Guerra Mondiale con 20 aerei velivoli nemici abbattuti in duelli aerei.
= Torino 30-6-1919 Luisa Gazelli, figlia di Augusto dei Conti di Rossana e San Sebastiano e di Maria dei Conti Rignon (* Torino 19-5-1896 + Roma 27-4-1989) (v.), Dama di Palazzo della Regina d’Italia.
http://www.sardimpex.com/Ruffo/RUFFO-SCILLA.htm
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw that the Queen fabiola has a very beautiful tiara. Is this jewelle is somtime load to the Queen Poala?

I fear not, but may be I'm wrong.

In fact I don't undersatnd how the Belgian Royal Family wear not very much jewelles because we can think that with theirs owners in the Belgian Congo the could have a lot of diamands.

But it's true that the belgian monarchia as it exist toay is not very ancient and, may be, don't have a lot of jewelles. Actually I don't know.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Queen Fabiola does not share her personal jewelry with Paola or any other member of the family. The tiara she received from Franco is only used by her (and not very frequently)., as is the tiara she received from jeweller Wolfers.

The Belgian RF owned a lot more jewels in the past, dispite being 'new', but many went to Queen Marie-Jose of Italy, GD Josephine-Charlotte or were sold by Princess Liliane. Of other jewels the whereabouts are unknown to, but they are generally considered to be sold (like the floral diademe of Queen Marie-Henriette).
Old 11-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Administrator

The Belgian Queens have an unfortunate and depressing history of dispersing their collections rather than passing them down. Only a few major pieces appear to have come into Paola's possession; courtesy of King Leopold III, many jewels were "lost" to the Princess de Réthy, which have subsequently been auctioned off.

Time will tell if Queen Fabiola leaves her collection (the extent of which is unknown) to Paola or Philippe/Mathilde, or if it too will be dispersed.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Story about 1907 year scandal at the BRC, and why the family has so little historic jewels.

http://groups.msn.com/RoyaltyDanjel/belscandalw.msnw
Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Commoner

Queen Paola was so beautiful and elegant in her younger years but she is still elegant today. Fit to be a Queen. I wish she had more tiaras to wear, she is a Queen and should be adorned with proper jewels, especially during big gatherings of royals. Just my opinion...
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Courtier

It's sort of odd that there hasn't been a tiara purchased for her. At least not recently. There must be a reason, either that the family won't spend the money or she doesn't want another. **shrugs** Anyone have some insight?

The 1907 scandal explains why some of the jewels are gone...but it's been a century. New purchases? I think it's time. It also doesn't explain why there are so few, because usually the queen of a country leaves most of her jewels to her eldest son's husband (the future queen). Strange.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, Queen Marie-Jose of Italy received a lot of jewels from her mother (Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians). Leopold III gave most jewels to his second wife. Many were sold by the couple, so that leaves very little for Paola.

There is no known reason why the Belgians didn' t purchase mor jewels. Perhaps they do not have enough money to buy expensive jewelry or they simply don't think it is that important and are ok with the collection as it is now. Considering the modesty of both Queens I suspect the last explanation is closest to the truth.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Courtier

Perhaps the political situation in the country (lack of unity) contributes? Maybe the RF does not want to appear wasteful?

Tags
jewellery, paola, queen paola