The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Commoner

Queen Maud Jewellery

Queen Maud received many jewels as wedding gift but some of them disappearing from public long time

Princess Maud's Wedding Jewels | Queen Maud of Norway (Maud of Wales)

anyone know the jewels detail information(who gave Queen Maud) and who own them now

Old 09-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Majesty

Here are some links to the tiaras that she wore:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maud's Pearl and Diamond Tiara

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: Queen Maud's Diamond Tiara

The Queen Maud Vifte Tiara | A Tiara a Day

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Gentry

I've recently updated my post on some Scandinavian tiaras and I would love some feedback. Here the tiaras that Queen Maud has worn.

Diamond Tiara
Maltese Cross Tiara
Pearl & Diamond Tiara
Turquoise Tiara - but I don't have a picture of her wearing this one
Vifte Tiara

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Majesty

Saturday Sparkler: Queen Maud's Diamond Tiara | The Court Jeweller

This tiara is incredibly stunning. It's absolutely regal.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Wouldn't it be wonderful too see it worn again by a Norwegian royal...possibly at Prince Carl Philips wedding ?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wouldn't it be wonderful too see it worn again by a Norwegian royal...possibly at Prince Carl Philips wedding ?
Quite right. I would especially love to see MM wear it - divine justice for all the negative comments from Ragnahild re MM!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

There seems to be only one picture of Queen Maud wearing this bandeau. It hasn't been seen by any other wearer and nothing is known about this mysterious jewel. It looks a very interesting belle epoche style to me and I'd love to see it again.

copyright expired
Old 11-18-2015, 01:09 AM
Majesty

All My Tiaras: Queen Maud of Norway | The Court Jeweller

Maud definitely has a stunningly collection of tiaras. My favorite is her diamond tiara.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful collection. I prefer more the Turquoise tiara.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

It is a pity that there are no decent pictures of Queen Maud with the turquoise tiara. For official portraits she definitely preferred the diamond tiara or the pearl tiara.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maud and Carl (Haakon VII) had only one child, a son. Did ALL Maud's jewellery (some of it of course wedding gifts) get left to her daughter in law, Martha? Why are so many tiaras, necklaces etc supposedly tucked away in the vaults since that time? Wouldn't Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid have been given one or two pieces each?
Old 11-18-2015, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

I don't follow necklaces and other jewels so much, but Queen Maud's tiaras haven't been tucked away in the vaults. Queen Sonja has worn the bandeau with the crosses, the vifte tiara and the pearl tiara.

Princesses Astrid and Ragnhild each received one of her tiaras for life: Astrid got the turquoise tiara, Ragnhild the diamond tiara. Both Princesses have worn the jewels from time to time. Princess Astrid even wears the two aigrettes, which were never publicly seen on Queen Maud.

The only missing tiara is a small bandeau of unknown origin. It possibly wasn't very valuable, or it could have been broken up to re-use the material.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I don't follow necklaces and other jewels so much, but Queen Maud's tiaras haven't been tucked away in the vaults.

The only missing tiara is a small bandeau of unknown origin. It possibly wasn't very valuable, or it could have been broken up to re-use the material.
Also missing is the diamond and pearl necklace she wore at the coronation in 2006 and i think also in the second pic in the Blog entry (where she is in mourning for Queen Victoria)
Old 11-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is a pity that there are no decent pictures of Queen Maud with the turquoise tiara. For official portraits she definitely preferred the diamond tiara or the pearl tiara.
The reason is probably that she inherited the turqiose tiara only after the death of her mother in 1925 and most officail pics in Gala where made before that. But there is also a official pic where she wears the Malteser Cross tiara.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

I think that necklace was one of the wedding presents, wasn't it? Somehow I can't imagine that it is still lying in the vault, more likely it was dismantled. Did the NRF have to sell jewels during the years of exile and occupation?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think that necklace was one of the wedding presents, wasn't it? Somehow I can't imagine that it is still lying in the vault, more likely it was dismantled. Did the NRF have to sell jewels during the years of exile and occupation?

Most of Queen Maud's jewels are said to have spent the years between the coronations of George VI and Elisabeth II in a vault in London so even if they did need to sell something to make ends meet they couldn't. Queen Maud had brought them to London to get them cleaned and when she died they stayed there and wasn't brought back until Olav and Märtha went to London for the coronation.
Märtha got her mother Ingenorgs Emerald tiara at Stockholm's Central station before going to USA which her mother intended for her to sell if in need of money. Since she didn't I guess they were ok financially.
Märtha did get her hat sold while visiting the milliner where Margarethe of Bourbon-Parma worked in New York but that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I also beleive it was one of the Wedding gifts. Really strange about the remains of the necklace. I also think if it would be still in the Vaults Queen Sonka would have worn it. But if it was dismalteld i wonder what Jewels they made o it. For most of the norwegian Jewels we know the background. And of it they could have made quiet a few pieces. Perhaps it was with Princess Ragnhild and she never wore it.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:36 PM

I know that princess Astrid inherited some of queen Mauds wedding presents.She has worn both the bow broach given by Lord and Lady Rothschild and the diamond pin given to her by prince Carl (Later king Haakon VII).
Old 11-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

That is interesting. Usually it is said that Queen Maud had all her jewels with her in England when she died shortly before WWII. Because of the war the jewels stayed in England, and the NRF only retrieved the jewels in 1953 at the coronation. At the time CP Märtha was already too sick to wear the jewels.

So if Märtha wore some of Maud's jewels, it must mean that she either received them as gifts during Maud's lifetime, or Maud left some of her jewels in Norway when she went to visit her family in England.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Commoner

I am wonder did King Haakon give any tiara to queen Maud? It seems all of her jewels come from England.