Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always fake jewels.
A fake Jewel well known shop just received their Nomination as "Fournisseur de la Cour"

I think costume and fake jewels can be a very good alternative for daily events which are not too formal, such as meetings or visits to charities and things like that...they makes you look elegant without looking like you're showing off your wealth.

That necklace would work very well as a tiara,I never knew that Mathilde borrowed jewels.

I don't think she has worn it since became queen, but she wore it several times as Duchess of Brabant, which makes it unlikely that it was a loan.

Queen Mathilde has loaned several pieces of jewellery when she was a princess. For instance the big necklace she wore at WA's 40th birthday party, or the one she wore for Victoria's wedding. But I really hope it wasn't the case for this one, because it is really regal.

......*sigh* I hope Marchesina is right, they are not the same piece. It's indeed a very regal piece.

I don't mind fake jewels as long as it's a refined work.:flowers:

Agree! This brooch is so regal and so majestic!

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board

Here is a list of jewellery Mathilde has borrowed in the past (as both princess & queen).

There are quite a lot. It seems that Mathilde borrows quite often for fancy occasions, especially before she inherited Fabiola's collection.

I guess she and Philippe are not very interested in investing in jewellery. Some of those pieces are not expensive at all (in royalty terms).

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board

Here is a list of jewellery Mathilde has borrowed in the past (as both princess & queen).

There are quite a lot. It seems that Mathilde borrows quite often for fancy occasions, especially before she inherited Fabiola's collection.

I guess she and Philippe are not very interested in investing in jewellery. Some of those pieces are not expensive at all (in royalty terms).

Have all those items been verified to have been borrowed ? I am surprised to hear for example that the butterfly brooch she wore at the Danish state banquet was borrowed. Everybody on this forum assumed it was a new piece she had acquired.

Anyway, the Belgian Royal Family is not particularly wealthy. Most of the family's formerly privately owned assets, including their amazing castles and royal residences, are now part of the Royal Trust created by King Léopold II, or have been transferred to the Belgian state directly. They have also lost much of their jewelry to marriages to foreign princes, robberies, or simply family feuds. It is very sad indeed !

Last edited:
Have all those items been verified to have been borrowed ? I am surprised to hear for example that the butterfly brooch she wore at the Danish state banquet was borrowed. Everybody on this forum assumed it was a new piece she had acquired.

Anyway, the Belgian Royal Family is not particularly wealthy. Most of the family's formerly privately owned assets, including their amazing castles and royal residences, are now part of the Royal Trust created by King Léopold II, or have been transferred to the Belgian state directly. They have also lost much of their jewelry to weddings with foreign princes, robberies, or simply family feuds. It is very sad indeed !

I remember there was some discussions about the butterfly brooch back then. Apparently there was some auction house (or jeweler?) saying that the brooch belonged to them, I don't remember the exact details though. Someone with info can help here?

The only detail I recall is the price tag being 8400 euros, so not that much comparing to the wardrobe expenses.

As Elisabeth approaching adulthood soon, I imagine she will at least need some smaller pieces that can go with most outfits for important occasions.

Last edited:

Anyway, the Belgian Royal Family is not particularly wealthy. Most of the family's formerly privately owned assets, including their amazing castles and royal residences, are now part of the Royal Trust created by King Léopold II, or have been transferred to the Belgian state directly. They have also lost much of their jewelry to marriages to foreign princes, robberies, or simply family feuds. It is very sad indeed !

The king bought a helicopter of his own when he was a crown prince. The previous king has (had) expensive yachts. I suspect that if they wanted to they could have afforded to buy some jewelry. It just does not seem to be a priority to them.

The loss due to inheritance and feuds is clear to me but I forgot the story about the robbery.

Thgerefore it would make even more use to create a Trust or foundation (held by the King for example) for the Jewels and other Artworks who are still owned by the different Family members (like the late Queen Fabiola, King Albert and Queen Paola).

Now it has become clear that the communication "the whole estate of the late Queen Fabiola has gone to the Foundation Hulpfonds van de Koningin / Œuvres de la Reine" is not accurate.

Villa Astrida in Motril seems to have been inherited by Queen Fabiola's blood relatives. That opens the question: what happened with the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem ? We can not exclude that also this piece has "escaped" the named Foundation, like the villa...

Now it has become clear that the communication "the whole estate of the late Queen Fabiola has gone to the Foundation Hulpfonds van de Koningin / Œuvres de la Reine" is not accurate.

Villa Astrida in Motril seems to have been inherited by Queen Fabiola's blood relatives. That opens the question: what happened with the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem ? We can not exclude that also this piece has "escaped" the named Foundation, like the villa...

I think Queen Mathilde has it, but has chosen not to wear it, either because it is too soon, or because she doesn't like it, or whatever. If the tiara had been sold or auctioned off, I think we would have heard about it.

It would be nice if Queen Mathilde wore Fabiola's tiara for the first time on a state visit to Spain for example. Or maybe she can use some of Queen Fabiola's jewels like her set of aquamarines to commission a new tiara.

Personally, I don't care too much about the Spanish tiara, but I'd be really disappointed if Queen Paola didn't leave the Art Deco to the main line of the Royal Family. It may not be a big gun, but it is a diadem that was worn by 3 Belgian queens and was also Mathilde's wedding tiara. Princess Astrid doesn't really need it and it would be mean not to leave it to Mathilde or Princess Élisabeth (who will certainly need it when she starts attending state dinners and events like that).

Last edited:
On the GEMB board there is a thread about her jewels. Some of them are alas loans and one is sold now by Wolfers.

I think Queen Mathilde has it, but has chosen not to wear it, either because it is too soon, or because she doesn't like it, or whatever. If the tiara had been sold or auctioned off, I think we would have heard about it.

It would be nice if Queen Mathilde wore Fabiola's tiara for the first time on a state visit to Spain for example. Or maybe she can use some of Queen Fabiola's jewels like her set of aquamarines to commission a new tiara.

Personally, I don't care too much about the Spanish tiara, but I'd be really disappointed if Queen Paola didn't leave the Art Deco to the main line of the Royal Family. It may not be a big gun, but it is a diadem that was worn by 3 Belgian queens and was also Mathilde's wedding tiara. Princess Astrid doesn't really need it and it would be mean not to leave it to Mathilde or Princess Élisabeth (who will certainly need it when she starts attending state dinners and events like that).

When you have so little choice, like or dislike is not really an option. Moreover as the Spanish Wedding Gift is extremely versatile: as coronet with fleurons, as diadem with floral motifs, as collier, with all diamonds, or with red, green or aquamarine centre gemstones. In the meantime Her Majesty The Queen of the Belgians has to borrow from jewellers. I find that strange. Why borrow a collier when Fabiola's diadem can be worn as such?

It is also possible that Queen Fabiola left the Spanish gift tiara directly to Princess Élisabeth and we will only see it once she starts attending gala events in two years.

The Spanish Wedding Gift would be a great treasure to Belgian royal family, a tiara can be worn in two different way and as a necklace and brooch with three interchangeable gemstones. Very practical and very useful. I don't expect Mathilde wears it in tiara/necklace form (considering Belgium doesn't have too many white/black tie events) but I hope to see Mathilde wear the leaf as a brooch so we can at least know that this piece is still in Belgium.

It is also possible that Queen Fabiola left the Spanish gift tiara directly to Princess Élisabeth and we will only see it once she starts attending gala events in two years.

"De erfenis van koningin Fabiola is volledig overgedragen aan de universele erfgenaam ‘Hulpfonds van de Koningin’. Ook is de overdracht van het kasteel waar Fabiola verbleef (Stuyvenberg) aan de Koninklijke Schenking afgehandeld. Hierdoor is het “Huis van Hare Majesteit Koningin Fabiola formeel ontbonden”, klinkt het in een mededeling van het koninklijk paleis."

Translation:

The estate of Queen Fabiola has been completely transferred to the universal heir 'Hulpfonds van de Koningin'. The transfer of the castle where Fabiola was staying (Stuyvenberg) was also handled by the Donation Royale. As a result, the "House of Her Majesty Queen Fabiola has been formally dissolved", it sounds in a notice from the royal palace.

Apart from this communication, note that, for Queen Fabiola, Princess Élisabeth is the daughter to a son to a brother of her late husband. There is no any blood relationship between Queen Fabiola and Princess Élisabeth. Assuming that the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem will have a value of more than € 100.000,--, this means that Princess Élisabeth, a citizen of Brussels Region, will be taxed for 60% of the value because the relationship to Queen Fabiola is remote. Is the diadem worth more than € 175.000,--, the taxation is even 70%!

https://www.notaris.be/erven-schenk...lijk/tarief-voor-ooms-tantes-en-neven-nichten

When King Baudouin died, it was claimed he left his spouse 300 million Euro in private wealth. Apparently this wealth is now in hands of the Hulpfonds van de Koningin. No idea how wealthy King Albert II and King Philippe are but I assume a nice collier for the Queen must be possible...

Apart from this Queen Fabiola was rich as well. She inherited the city palace in Madrid of her uncle Don Fernando de Aragón y Carrillo de Albornoz, Marqués de Casa Torres (see picture in the link below). And of course the estate with the villa in Motril, an office building in Paris, four lots of unbuild property in Guetaria, two office buildings in Madrid, a lot of unbuild property in Pamplona and an estate in Aiguamúrcia (Tarragona). According to journalist Thierry Debels the Spanish estate was safely set aside in Fundación Ineis, established in 1999. It looks like this foundation went to her Spanish relatives.

The mystery around the jewels of the late Queen will remain for some time, I am afraid. Was the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem also placed in the Spanish Foundation, and therefore now with the De Mora family?

Het echte paleis van Fabiola - De Rijkste Belgen

Last edited:
When King Baudouin died, it was claimed he left his spouse 300 million Euro in private wealth. Apparently this wealth is now in hands of the Hulpfonds van de Koningin. No idea how wealthy King Albert II and King Philippe are but I assume a nice collier for the Queen must be possible...

Apart from this Queen Fabiola was rich as well. She inherited the city palace in Madrid of her uncle Don Fernando de Aragón y Carrillo de Albornoz, Marqués de Casa Torres (see picture in the link below). And of course the estate with the villa in Motril, an office building in Paris, four lots of unbuild property in Guetaria, two office buildings in Madrid, a lot of unbuild property in Pamplona and an estate in Aiguamúrcia (Tarragona). According to journalist Thierry Debels the Spanish estate was safely set aside in Fundación Ineis, established in 1999. It looks like this foundation went to her Spanish relatives.

The mystery around the jewels of the late Queen will remain for some time, I am afraid. Was the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem also placed in the Spanish Foundation, and therefore now with the De Mora family?

Het echte paleis van Fabiola - De Rijkste Belgen

Why would Fabiola place her tiara in the Spanish Foundation ? I find it unlikely.

Why would Fabiola place her tiara in the Spanish Foundation ? I find it unlikely.

To make sure that her Spanish relatives would receive her estate without hefty succession taxes? Then her jewels are not inherited, but donated by the Queen to a legal vehicle (the foundation).

We don’t know if the Spanish tiara was still in her estate at the time of her death. She could have gifted it to anyone between the long time she last wore it and her death.

We don’t know if the Spanish tiara was still in her estate at the time of her death. She could have gifted it to anyone between the long time she last wore it and her death.

That is true indeed. Belgium has a long period (three years before a death) in which it considers donantions as part of an inheritance and thus taxable for succession taxes. This period is very long (in neighbouring Netherlands only donations within 180 days before a death are seen as part of an inheritance). The Queen could have donated it before 2011 to be sure to escape succession taxes (she passed away in 2014).

To make sure that her Spanish relatives would receive her estate without hefty succession taxes? Then her jewels are not inherited, but donated by the Queen to a legal vehicle (the foundation).

Fabiola's jewelry pieces that have been worn by Mathilde over the last years (like the waterfall brooch, the diamond and pearl earrings, the ruby bracelet, and the Wolfers necklace/tiara) were allegedly given to Mathilde while Fabiola was still alive. She could have done the same with the Spanish tiara. In any case, I don't see a reason why Fabiola would leave a tiara she wore as the Belgian queen to her Spanish relatives. Leaving them real estate in Spain is a different matter.

Like everybody else, I have no idea on who now owns the Spanish tiara, but, if I were to guess, I would say it is either with the Hulpfonds van de Koningin , or it is now personally owned by King Philippe or Queen Mathilde. If it had gone back to Spain, I assume Fabiola's relatives would have already sold it or broken it off by now as they have no need for tiaras.

Last edited:
Mbruno , you forget Queen Fabiola's huge aiguemarines. Where are they ??

Fabiola's jewelry pieces that have been worn by Mathilde over the last years (like the waterfall brooch, the diamond and pearl earrings, the ruby bracelet, and the Wolfers necklace/tiara) were allegedly given to Mathilde while Fabiola was still alive. She could have done the same with the Spanish tiara. In any case, I don't see a reason why Fabiola would leave a tiara she wore as the Belgian queen to her Spanish relatives. Leaving them real estate in Spain is a different matter.

Like everybody else, I have no idea on who now owns the Spanish tiara, but, if I were to guess, I would say it is either with the Hulpfonds van de Koningin , or it is now personally owned by King Philippe or Queen Mathilde. If it had gone back to Spain, I assume Fabiola's relatives would have already sold it or broken it off by now as they have no need for tiaras.

Hola! regularly reports about weddings in the Spanish nobility. And then you often see the bride wearing a diadem. So this sort of jewels still come handy in Spanish aristocratic families...

A Spanish aristocrat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/47/3a/88/473a88da180da3ccd1769ff0e83affcc.jpg

Another Spanish aristocrat: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a0/6c/1a/a06c1a59d1c1609a931289cc4b1802cc.jpg

And another Spanish aristocrat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fa/77/a4/fa77a433c58e8e06c485d567c28e0a39.jpg

Etc. Etc. So Queen Fabiola's diadem could be a nice addition. But who knows it is in a box under Queen Mathilde's bed...

Last edited:
Hola! regularly reports about weddings in the Spanish nobility. And then you often see the bride wearing a diadem. So this sort of jewels still come handy in Spanish aristocratic families...

A Spanish aristocrat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/47/3a/88/473a88da180da3ccd1769ff0e83affcc.jpg

Another Spanish aristocrat: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a0/6c/1a/a06c1a59d1c1609a931289cc4b1802cc.jpg

And another Spanish aristocrat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fa/77/a4/fa77a433c58e8e06c485d567c28e0a39.jpg

Etc. Etc. So Queen Fabiola's diadem could be a nice addition. But who knows it is in a box under Queen Mathilde's bed...

As a matter of fact, we don't even know in what state the Spanish tiara is right now. Maybe it is not wearable and needs major repair.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, we don't even know in what state the Spanish tiara is right now. Maybe it is not wearable and needs major repairs.

Why would it not be wearable? It is an extremely versatile diadem and -in the course of 60 years- relatively seldom worn.

The complete setting worn as a ducal coronet with seven fleurons

The complete setting as floral motif diadem with seven fleurons

The last outing as diadem (with five of the seven fleurons)

The last outing (three fleurons as pendants to a diamond necklace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom