Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There may be a few pieces. Her father's family is pretty minor nobility, he himself a younger son. Her mother may have inherited the necklace and some pieces from her own mother Princess Zofia. But Zofia not only came from a pretty minor branch, but a family with large families. If the jewels were not maintained in the family with the eldest son (which often in aristocratic/royal families the main pieces would be), they would be pretty dispersed. Zofia had six children, her father had 8, her grandfather 10.

Fortunately Mathilde has access to the Belgian royal jewels and tiaras (besides perhaps any personal pieces her MIL may pass to Astrid if she chooses).

Both her sisters seemed to have worn tiaras on their wedding. Helene's was pretty tiny and the picture was bad, speculated possibly was a necklace being used as a tiara. It may have been a family piece. Elisabeth wore one as well, but she married a Margrave, and the tiara was likely from his family.

Queen Mathilde: Flashback: wedding of countess Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz & markgraf Alfonso Pallavicini

Queen Mathilde with diamond earrings during The National Day in Brussel. I took this photo when I was outside the Cathedral.

What a beautiful and elegant brooch!!

Yes its a very beautiful piece and goes very well with her pearl earrings.

Does anyone know,about the brooch she wore,for her arrival in japan?

She has worn it before, it looks like a decorative 1920's broche with enamel and glass.
Picture on Tumblr.

I've just seen photo on twitter from state banquet and it seems that queen Mathilde was wearing Wolfers diamond tiara...I'm a bit disappointed I must say.

Yes, it was definitely a good occasion to wear this wonderful piece for the first time or at least full ninie provinces tiara. But maybe at state banquet in Netherlands

Did you expect to see Queen Fabiola 's Spanish tiara ?

I was actually hoping she would wear Queen Elisabeth's art deco diamond bandeau, which would be perfect for the state dinner in Japan. I hope Queen Mathilde gets the opportunity to wear the art deco again, but I doubt it since Queen Paola will probably leave it to Princess Astrid.

As for the Spanish tiara, nobody knows what happened to it and with all the controversy about it being a fake tiara, it is possible that we never see it again. Let's hope not though.

I was hoping that she would wear the full nine provinces tiara today with either the wolfers or the laurel wretath as necklace. And perhaps the waterfall broosh.
Quiet strange at a black tie dinner in a Republic she wear 2 tiaras (one as necklace) and a State Banquet in another monarchy only a relatic small tiara.
Anf this when the japanese imperial ladies almoist always wear full Parues with the exception of the Empress

It is not only the choice for a converted necklace which is a bit disappointing. The Queen also did not wear a broche to spice it all up a bit. The Cascade Broche comes to mind. Remarkable jewelry choices for an imperial State Visit.

[...]
As for the Spanish tiara, nobody knows what happened to it and with all the controversy about it being a fake tiara, it is possible that we never see it again. Let's hope not though.

The diadem was not fake, the centrestones apparently were. The rumour was that a Catholic convent owned the diadem before it was acquired for Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. It seems the nuns sold the centrestones to raise money for charity, and replaced these with fakes. Supposedly this was not discovered until the tiara was in Doña Fabiola's possession. Hard to believe, but we will never know...

Also hard to believe is that a crown which topped the Virgin was taken off from the statue and given to the future Queen of the Belgians. Plenty of jewellers in Madrid! Why taking away a crown from a statue? There are many stories around this and no one will know the truth.

:lol:

Last edited:
Queen Paola's Deco tiara will never go to Queen Mathilde . It is for Princess Astrid who stole the show wearing it for the last State visit and the Queen wore her small wedding tiara.

The Wolfers was a good compromise IMO.
A tiara like the other royal ladies as it was a state banquet, but her smallest as she knew her Japanese colleague can't wear one.

If she has the Spanish tiara, the next state visit would be a good time to wear it for the first time as her Dutch colleague seems to like big guns.

I disagree. She could have used a nice broche to fasten her riband. She is the Queen of the Belgians on a State Banquet in the imperial palace of Tokyo. Come on, show it.

:lol:

I don't agree. The embroidery in the dress is quite busy, adding a brooch would have been too much.

Reactions: eya
The earrings the Queen wore with the Wolfers tiara are diamonds and Citrine.
For the 5 others I wonder if these were real stones ??

The way of wearing Neckace , earrings and Brooch are defintely over except for Queen Maxima.

The earrings the Queen wore with the Wolfers tiara are diamonds and Citrine.
For the 5 others I wonder if these were real stones ??

The way of wearing Neckace , earrings and Brooch are defintely over except for Queen Maxima.

The Danes, the Swedes, the Norwegians, the Dutch and the British still wear full sets. Really not only Máxima.

Look at this picture.

You are always behind me....
I thought about daytime and about the new Queens.

A discussion in the Tiara & Jewels guessing thread set me off on a path where I compiled a list of all of the tiaras some of the ladies have worn for state (and official visits when called for) visits.

Here is Mathilde's. I think everything is correct.

Before becoming Queen, she only wore her Laurel Wreath Tiara, wearing it 9 times. Since becoming Queen, she wore the Laurel Wreath Tiara once, the Nine Provinces tiara twice, and the Wolfers Tiara twice.

Last edited:
A discussion in the Tiara & Jewels guessing thread set me off on a path where I compiled a list of all of the tiaras some of the ladies have worn for state (and official visits when called for) visits.

Here is Mathilde's. I think everything is correct.

Before becoming Queen, she only wore her Laurel Wreath Tiara, wearing it 9 times. Since becoming Queen, she wore the Laurel Wreath Tiara once, the Nine Provinces tiara twice, and the Wolfers Tiara twice.

Thank you for the link. The overview however is not complete I believe.
Here is a complete list:

December, 4th, 1999: Art Deco Diademe
May 16, 2000: Laurel Wreath
May 8, 2001: Laurel Wreath
May 10, 2001: Laurel Wreath
May 28, 2002: Laurel Wreath
May 29, 2002: Laurel Wreath
May 20, 2003: Laurel Wreath
May 13, 2004: Laurel Wreath
May 14, 2004: Laurel Wreath
October 26, 2004: Laurel Wreath
April 30, 2006: Laurel Wreath
June 13, 2006: Laurel Wreath
June 20, 2006: Laurel Wreath
February 24, 2007: Laurel Wreath
March 20, 2007: Laurel Wreath
June 19, 2010: Laurel Wreath
July 2, 2011: Laurel Wreath
October 19, 2012: Laurel Wreath
April 29, 2013: Laurel Wreath
---
March 31, 2014: Nine Provinces
April 15, 2015: Nine Provinces
June 13, 2015: Nine Provinces
October 13, 2015: Wolfers
March 8, 2016: Laurel Wreath
April 30, 2016: Wolfers
May 18, 2016: Nine Provinces
October 11, 2016: Wolfers

Thank you for the link. The overview however is not complete I believe.
Here is a complete list:

December, 4th, 1999: Art Deco Diademe
May 16, 2000: Laurel Wreath
May 8, 2001: Laurel Wreath
May 10, 2001: Laurel Wreath
May 28, 2002: Laurel Wreath
May 29, 2002: Laurel Wreath
May 20, 2003: Laurel Wreath
May 13, 2004: Laurel Wreath
May 14, 2004: Laurel Wreath
October 26, 2004: Laurel Wreath
April 30, 2006: Laurel Wreath
June 13, 2006: Laurel Wreath
June 20, 2006: Laurel Wreath
February 24, 2007: Laurel Wreath
March 20, 2007: Laurel Wreath
June 19, 2010: Laurel Wreath
July 2, 2011: Laurel Wreath
October 19, 2012: Laurel Wreath
April 29, 2013: Laurel Wreath
---
March 31, 2014: Nine Provinces
April 15, 2015: Nine Provinces
June 13, 2015: Nine Provinces
October 13, 2015: Wolfers
March 8, 2016: Laurel Wreath
April 30, 2016: Wolfers
May 18, 2016: Nine Provinces
October 11, 2016: Wolfers

:bang:

since this is a different thread, I guess I can say it again: this particular list that I did was for State (and Official) visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom