Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of the tiara but it's great to see her in something new!

Niiiiice!!! I like it, I like it...

So it is confirmed: the 9 Provinces Tiara was passed on to the new Queen!

She looks very nice with it. I think that it is rather wise to start out with the bandeau only, given the situation in Belgium. The large version will probably come out with royal-royal state visits starting.

It is the Queen's tiara. Princess Lilian was not allowed to wear it on its whole.
The first time we saw the Queen's tiara after the late Queen Astrid was Queen Fabiola on her wedding day.
First time a Queen is wearing the Sash of the Leopold's Order, wonderful Queen wearing her jewels more as Queen Fabiola did.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it is not an official crown jewel, as Belgium has none. But with the restriction upon using it, I consider it a semi official crown jewel.
There is no way to know if the 9 provinces can only be worn by queens, it was a gift to Astrid and she wears it in her most famous picture. Having been the most famous/beloved queen in Belgium people didn’t quiet accept when Leopold married for the second time. The tiara must have belonged to Leopold after Astrid’s death otherwise Lilian wouldn’t be able to wear the big diamonds in her gold necklace. She might have simply decided not to wear a piece so associated with Astrid, it could have been Leopold’s decision to give his late wife’s tiara to the new queen (Fabiola) as a wedding gift.

Creating a restriction allowing only queens to wear it would be nice, as would be adding the all the jewelry to the royal trust (forbidding them to be sold or to leave the main line of the BRF).

The Belgium jewelry collection is very petit (ironical since the country’s diamonds are so famous), but maybe the collection will increase in the years to come. Queen Mathilde has the Brabant Laurel Wreath Tiara and now the Nine Provinces Tiara (and queen Fabiola’s diamond brooch). Hopefully she will get the Spanish Wedding Gift Tiara and the Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Bandeau.

There are also some jewelry that we now exist like Queen Fabiola’s diamond daisys, the big aquamarine necklace, the wolfers necklace/tiara, the v-shaped diamond necklace (Queen Fabiola), queen Fabiola’s emerald and diamond leaf brooch and other minor jewelry that we hope will stay in the main line.

The only jewelry that people are sure was sold is the Cartier Diadem, so some people believe that some old jewelry are still with the family (maybe under some kind of embargo – like in the greek situation) this would include the Stockholm Tiara (worn by Astrid and Lilian), the Cartier flower tiara (if Lilian actually bought it, I think she would have sold it..), Lilian’s famous diamond & emerald earings, Queen Astrid emerald necklace/tiara and my personal favorite the big emerald brooch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a fan of the nine provinces tiara, but if you must wear it, the base does look better alone. If I were Mathilde, I would stick to the laurel wreath tiara. It's so pretty on her.

This looks more like a bandeau tiara, but it's nice to see something different on the Queen. She looks appropriately regal and elegant in her blue gown and orders, BTW.

more correctly, the BASE of the Nine Provinces Tiara...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rwubo8.jpg

Well, with many articles about the Belgium Jewellery in the run up to the Abdication and Inauguration I have to admit I came to the conclusion that the Nine Provinces Tiara would be best served by breaking it into nine pieces and sending one to each province! In other words . . . that is one ugly, mishmash of style and design! :eek:

However, leave it to Mathilde to create the perfect stlye to showcase the Base of the tiara to good effect. In fact she did more than that, she made it look elegant. Her smooth up do perfectly complemented the somewhat busy base and turned it into a stunning bandeau! It almost looks like a whole new tiara so, well done Mathilde and I can't wait to see how you play around with the rest of the goodies.

These photos are terrible - are they directly official or somewhat "adulterated"

We never saw her engagement ring (ruby) since a long time. Did the Queen lost it ?

We never saw her engagement ring (ruby) since a long time. Did the Queen lost it ?

Her original ring is a garnet. I thin she alternates between the sapphire and the garnet.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Nine Provinces Tiara

I have never been a fan of this tiara. I don't think it's horrible but I don't think it's wonderful either. I think it is too pointy and architectural for me. Though I do like the original version of the tiara. Those large diamonds on the spikes look amazing! However, I feel that those spikes are a little too tall.

Even though I do not like the tiara, I hope Mathilde will wear the full version of the tiara soon so I can see what it looks like on her.

Last edited:
Am still waiting for some billionaire to present he queen with some za za bling bling:lol:, don't know if it will happen

I really love these stunning earrings Mathilde wore at a recent event:

1 2

I really love these stunning earrings Mathilde wore at a recent event:

1 2

That is a lovely pair of diamond earrings. Are they new or have they been seen on her previously?

That is a lovely pair of diamond earrings. Are they new or have they been seen on her previously?

She also wore them on the gala on April 29, the evening before the inauguration of King Willem Alexander, and on the inauguration itself.

Last edited:
She also wore them on the gala on April 29, the evening before the inauguration of King Willem Alexander, and on the inauguration itself.

Thank you.

Queen Mathilde had two tiara appearances of 2013:

1 2

I am hoping to see her wear the full Nine Provinces Tiara, and maybe her wedding tiara in 2014.

I really really hope that Mathilde will inherit Fabiola's jewels especially the tiara given by Franco. It would put Mathilde more on a par with other royals in the jewel department.

Yes Angela ,
i hope we will see the spanish and the Wolfers tiaras on non puffy hairdo .

The ruby ring isn't lost, Maria-Olivia. :flowers: Q Mathilde still wears the ring, for ex when her husband ascended the throne on 21st July.

I am hoping to see her wear the full Nine Provinces Tiara, and maybe her wedding tiara in 2014.
Mathilde definitly needs more tiara appearances. :D
I cannot wait to see the return of glittering state visits to Belgium. It all depends on how fast there is a new government after the elections in May. The last incoming state visit took place 6 years ago and I'm confident that the new reigning couple will bring back the glitter to Belgium in 2014/15. I'm eager to see how and where they will host their guests. And since they are more open towards the press than their predecessors I'm hoping for behind the scenes coverage.
And last not least I want Philippe to buy his queen some nice jewellery.

Regarding the wedding tiara. I don't think Mathilde will ever wear the art deco tiara again. I guess Paola will give it to her daughter Astrid. Too bad that Albert and Paola didn't continue Queen Elisabeth's generous habit to gift jewellery upon the arrival of a new grandchild. Astrid, Mathilde and Claire's empty vaults would have been thankful for that. :cool:

And finally on a different note in 2011 Mathilde's sister Hélène has worn pearl and diamond earrings on her civil wedding and weeks later Mathilde wore these earrings and a matching diamond necklace to Albert and Charlene's wedding in Monaco. I cannot recall having seen these earrings again. I wonder to whom this set belongs, to Hélène, Mathilde or perhaps to their sister Elisabeth who designs jewellery? Does anyone know more about this set?
Hélène
http://oi42.tinypic.com/r94ao6.jpg
Mathilde
http://oi42.tinypic.com/30t04gp.jpg

Today at the Chinese state dinner, Mathilde wore the base of the Nine Provinces tiara:

1 2

Kind of disappointed that she did not wear the full version of the tiara, as she does not have a lot of opportunities to wear tiaras.

(Photos from Iceflower)

i think she looks really really lovely and she's quite right to play a little with this tiara, and i'm so glad to see some glitter back to the Belgian court....
Maybe she does'nt like the spikes on it, i must admit i almost prefer the simple bandeau like this : so regal and understated !

Nice compliment for our Queen Nico , but are the earrings real diamonds ??

It is the Queen's tiara. Princess Lilian was not allowed to wear it on its whole.
The first time we saw the Queen's tiara after the late Queen Astrid was Queen Fabiola on her wedding day.
First time a Queen is wearing the Sash of the Leopold's Order, wonderful Queen wearing her jewels more as Queen Fabiola did.

Did Paola and Fabiola not have the Order of Leopold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom