The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2018, 02:49 AM
Majesty

I still not understand "the whole estate of the late Queen is transferred to the foundation Hulpfonds van de Koningin". That is a charity of the Queen. It enables Queen Mathilde to help people in crisis with some cash, with hand-outs.

But... the estate of Queen Fabiola was also her personal properties, her dresses, hats, shoes, jewels. Her cars. Her art collection. Her porcelain, her silverware, her crystalware. Her library, her archives. Her countless gifts, her Orders, her souvenirs. But also her real estate in Belgium, France and Spain. Her investments and her savings.

It is lovely that the Hulpfonds van de Koningin received it all, but WHAT can they do with it? They provide Queen Mathilde with cash to help people in need. You can not hand over Fabiola's handbag or salad bowl or diamond collier to a homeless begging for money. That is the unclarity in this story. Has the Hulpfonds to sell the properties, amongst these the Spanish Wedding Gift (offer it to the family first?) to obtain cash which they need?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Apparently he'd rather have a boat than a tiara.
It seems the belgian royals are not much interested in Jewels and therfore not in buying back peaces that have left the Family (like King Juan Carlos and King CArl Gustaf have done it).
Otherwise Queen Mathilde could also do like Crown pricness mary and byuing a unknown antique peace at an smaller auction instead of borrowing Jewels from jewellers.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Majesty

I don't know how rich King Philippe is. The bulk of the private wealth will be with his father, King Albert II. We tend to forget that. The same with Princess Beatrix, Grand-Duke Jean and King Juan Carlos. They have adbicated but are very much alive of course. The main wealth of the family will be with them, not with the new monarchs.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe if King Albert still has his yacht he bought and is not using it at this stage of his life then perhaps he could sale it and help fill the vault of missing jewels that should be in the Belgium Royal Family, after all in the future there will be an heir, Princess Elizabeth who will need some jewelry.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 AM
Majesty

I agree. Albert II has children, grandchildren and a great-grandchild. Fabiola has no any descendants. It lies more in line that Albert "cares" for sparklers for his issue than Fabiola had to care about glittering diamonds for the daughters to the children to one of her late husband's siblings.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:02 AM
Courtier

I am no expert, but judging by the constant polemics (at different levels) going on in Belgium against royalty, especially when it comes to dotations and spending of the public money, I think Philippe and Mathilde want to avoid any complain from their subjects or any attack from political parties (NVA in particular). It's not a bad thing to borrow jewellery after all, IMO: it allows Mathilde to sport every time something different as well as "advertising" Belgian jewellers all over the world. If only they would lend her some proper tiara occasionally....
As for Queen Fabiola's tiara, I hope it has been put aside specially for Elisabeth to wear on due time, when she'll come of age. Pity though that Q. Paola seems to have given her beautiful bandeau to Astrid's family, when she has a granddaughter who will be queen herself one day. It speaks volume of the bad relationship among the members of this pretty dysfunctional family.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 AM
Majesty

Queen Mathilde's Cartier Diamond Earrings | The Court Jeweller

These earrings are amazing. One of the most wonderful I have seen.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Please stay on topic. The discussion of the Savoy-Aosta jewels has been moved to this thread: Princess Astrid Of Belgium Jewellery

Old 03-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Pearl Drop Earrings on February 20th are stunning,I'm not sure what sort of design is on the brooch.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I hadn't noticed the golden maple leaf before.

If she followed through with the Canada theme, she would wear the Spanish wedding gift tiara with the red stones tonight, but I'm 100 % sure that will not happen !
Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I hadn't noticed the golden maple leaf before.

If she followed through with the Canada theme, she would wear the Spanish wedding gift tiara with the red stones tonight, but I'm 100 % sure that will not happen !
It turned up halfway through the day, so perhaps a gift.
ETA:
Correction, Mathilde wore a dress, a coat AND a cape. The brooch was on the coat, so we saw it inside when she took of the cape. I assume she had the brooch on the whole time.
Now I’m wondering if it’s a costume piece or real gold.

I would be thrilled to see the Spanish gift tiara worn as a necklace or a brooch, just to know it’s alive and well.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XEVqaqs7dW...1600/_Wed4.jpg
Old 03-13-2018, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
It turned up halfway through the day, so perhaps a gift.

I would be thrilled to see the Spanish gift tiara worn as a necklace or a brooch, just to know it’s alive and well.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XEVqaqs7dW...1600/_Wed4.jpg
YES PLEASE.

I don't expect Mathilde bring it out again as a tiara, but please, at least wear it as a brooch so we can know where it is now.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:45 AM
Majesty

I think we will not see a diadem at all. This is no visit to a "colleague" King or Queen and also not white tie.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mathilde did wear a tiara: https://queenmathilde.blogspot.be/
Old 03-13-2018, 04:48 AM
Majesty

Ow I am lagging behind, the State Banquet has already passed... time flies.

Yes now I see: her the laurel leaf diadem of the Belgian Nobility.

Thanks. Nice surprise.

Too bad that the Queen did not opt for a real collier, but ach... we can not always have what we desire.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 AM
Aristocracy

Nice look from Mathilde, except for that hideous necklace/collar thing...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

That's no necklace, that is part of the gown, and I actually quite like it. It's nice to see Mathilde with the laurel tiara again, and I think she placed it well. TBH, I'm not surprised that she wore a tiara, since Queen Maxima also wore one in Canada and Mathilde wore one at the black tie banquet in Poland.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 AM
Majesty

I preferred a real necklace or a naked neckline.

The collier-like part of the gown mismatched a bit with the beautiful diadem and earrings, in my personal opinion.

Tags
crown princess mathilde, jewellery, mathilde, princess mathilde