The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Do not complain, Queen Mathilde was -finally- amongst the best bejewelled ladies of the night. But as this is about discussing royal jewels, we can discuss why there were visible wires wrapped around the base, where the arches come from (according Vachaudez still unknown) and why the eleven large diamonds have a yellowish tint which is surprising given the reputation of Antwerp as "diamond capital". Exactly because of tht reputation one would expect the Queen of the Belgians having the purest diamonds in her best diadem. That is all.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Aristocracy

There are no "visible wires", Henri.The gaps in the bandeau are there to allow flexability. As you must know, the tiara can be worn as choker and as a pair of bracelets, so it has to be flexible. The gaps are where the hinges are, which allow the curving of the jewel.
As for the yellowish tint in the solitaires... Yellow diamonds have been among the highest priced stones at auctions for years and they help for a more interesting design. :)

Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I am so glad that I am not alone in thinking that those lines in the tiara base are gaps and not wires. If they were wires, wouldn't they go streight over the jewel? But instead they curve around the stones, the stones never seem to be covered by them, imo.

I dont think that looking at old photos can help solving this question. It is only recently that these amazing high resolution pics are possible due to advanced technology. Old pics wouldnt show the details good enough, imho.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good point. I've had a careful look at the closeups and if those were wires, they wouldn't be so meticulously placed, they'd inevitably cover a stone or two. Plus they'd have a slightly raised texture. Instead those gaps sort of fit together like a puzzle so they must be there for flexibility.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It are wires because the intervals are irregular in the very regular design.

When you concentrate on the S-motifs, then you see most of the S are not 'covered' by a wire but some have a bit in the bottom 'tail' of the S . The S-motif under the third arch clearly suddenly has two of these wires. Under the central arch you see a meander "cut" in half by a black line, this is not repeated by the other meanders. Under the second arch (at the left) you see a straight wire from top to bottom of the bandeau. Yes, of course the bandeau is flexible but as this is no floral design or one with an irregular scroll motif, but a very geometric design with repeating patterns: meander motifs with S-motifs as intervals, these irregular black lines must be wires.

We will see when more pictures pop up.

math1.jpg Photo by trfh | Photobucket
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

The meander under the second arch (L-R) is halved in two because this is just where the bandeau breaks to form a bracelet. There is the same line from top to bottom of the exact same place on the other side. I have seen such close-ups from 2004, when it was worn as choker and there was not base to fix with wires.
I'll try to explain the gaps in another way - the meanders of the bandeau are fixed to one another and form a solid construction. They are not connected by hoops and the meanders are placed at an angle (unlike the Swedish sapphire tiara). So, the jeweller had to come with some solution for the bending of the jewel when it was in use as choker or bracelet. The solution was to 'break' the meanders in places convinient for the bending/curving of the jewel around the neck/wrist and place the hinges there. If you look closely, you'll notice that there is a kind of patterrn in the gaps, so it follows the shape of the bandeau.
Why the hinges were placed exactly where they are I can not tell. I know for sure, though, that the jeweller did not expect some people from all over the world to muse over his decision and to wonder why he did what he did. HD photos were not known then and you have to be very close to the royal head to see gaps... So it was a non-issue at the time of Leopold and Astrid's wedding.
BTW, I also agree that this is not the most pleasing efect to the eye in HD photos, but I still like the bandeau :)
Old 04-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Majesty

This necklace is very beautiful:

Princess Mathilde of Belgium and Prince Philippe of Belgium attend... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Yes it is,didn't she also wear it at the Wedding of Albert II and Charlene Wittstock?
Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

It's two different necklaces, I have made a comparison:
right: pre-wedding in Luxembourg, left: wedding in Monaco
View image: be ma comp

I wonder if these necklaces were loans, because I can't remember that she has repeated them.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Tilla for its comparison.
I think also they are loans.
We have to wait wich one we will see again. Mathilde did not wear necklaces since she is Queen. But she may wear her Princess tiara as necklace with the Nine Province tiara.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Two more necklace that to my knowledge have not been worn again, from the 60 birthday of King Carl Gustaf and from the wedding of Victoria & Daniel:
View image: be ma 2006
View image: be ma 2010

Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Two more necklace that to my knowledge have not been worn again, from the 60 birthday of King Carl Gustaf and from the wedding of Victoria & Daniel:
She also wore a great necklace in 2007 for the 40th birthday of then Priince Willem-Alexander. i believe this one was also not worn again.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
She also wore a great necklace in 2007 for the 40th birthday of then Priince Willem-Alexander. i believe this one was also not worn again.
Yes, I don't think this one was repeated.
Crown Princess Mathilde Of Begium Attends A Festive Reception At Het... Nachrichtenfoto | Getty Images

I think the only diamond necklace she has repeated was her laurel tiara-necklace.

In the future she could also wear the base of the 9 provinces tiara as a choker. And if we are very lucky, maybe some necklace of Queen Fabiola?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It's two different necklaces, I have made a comparison:
right: pre-wedding in Luxembourg, left: wedding in Monaco
View image: be ma comp

I wonder if these necklaces were loans, because I can't remember that she has repeated them.
I guess the necklace on the right (Monaco) belongs to Mathilde's family. The matching earrings were also worn by Mathilde's sister Hlne on the day of her civil wedding in 2011.
Hélène D'Udekem D'Acoz, la soeur de la Princesse Mathilde de Belgique, se marie avec le Baron Nicolas Janssen | ImageBuzz
I somehow doubt that Hlne who was marrying into one of Belgium's richest families and isnt a pauper herself would wear jewellery which was given to her as a loan by a jeweller on such an important day. I assume these are jewels that belong to one of the d'Udekem sisters, perhaps they were designed by Mathilde's sister Elisabeth Pallavicini.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The first necklace is hers. Mathilde wears it as bracelet most of the time, e.g. on the day her husband took the oath in 2013.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Mathilde.jpg
And as necklace in Stockholm in 2012.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...thuset-392.jpg

The second necklace probably was loaned to her by court jeweller Leysen. IIRC it was on display at Leysens homepage.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I can wait to see her to wore some jewells of Queen Fabiola.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:34 AM
Majesty

Saturday Sparkler: The Brabant Laurel Wreath Tiara | The Court Jeweller

I love this tiara. It's very elegant and lovely.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes that tiara is very beautiful.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I also love to see the laurel tiara as a necklace and hope to see it more often worn as such. Now that the Queen has the nine-provinces-tiara to wear as well and she doesn't have to wear the laurel as a tiara all the time.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

It was boring to see Mathilde ten years with the same tiara.

Queen Paola keeps her own tiaras , deco and small necklaces/tiaras.

Tags
crown princess mathilde, jewellery, mathilde, princess mathilde