The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
On the glittering royals Evnets MB there is a good clos up of the nive provinces tiara as worn yesterday by Queen Mathilde
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Two special tiaras......
After seeing it i think it should be possible to wear the tiara in it's original Version like it was when it ws gioven to Queen Astrid. One would only need to remove the arches around the top diamond's.
Those close ups are gorgeous. But I'm not sure about wearing it in the original version. To me it looks as if the large dimonds have not connection with the base. They seem to be fixed inside the shapes of the top part. For the original version one would still need to attach the old prongs for the large diamonds.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Those close ups are gorgeous. But I'm not sure about wearing it in the original version. To me it looks as if the large dimonds have not connection with the base. They seem to be fixed inside the shapes of the top part. For the original version one would still need to attach the old prongs for the large diamonds.
But the diamonds are seating on little diamond prongs. Would that not be enough to hold them.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

To me it seems that the little diamond prongs are part of the top arches. I can't see any gaps for hinges of breaks between the prongs and the arches. But on many other places of the tiara you can see that kind of gaps. That's why I think that prongs and the arches can't be separated and one would still need separate prongs to wear the tiara in the original version.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

On HD pics one can see thin wiring being wrapped around the diadem in a rather clumsy way. It has nothing to do with the top arches. Also when only the base is worn, the wiring is visible. It looks like the wiring is done to fix it to a haircomb/base. I have the idea, for a lady in such a position, that the renowned jewellers im Brussels or Antwerp really can make a better fixation without any visible wiring...

See piture: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e0573a9230.jpg
Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
To me it seems that the little diamond prongs are part of the top arches. I can't see any gaps for hinges of breaks between the prongs and the arches. But on many other places of the tiara you can see that kind of gaps. That's why I think that prongs and the arches can't be separated and one would still need separate prongs to wear the tiara in the original version.
But was the tiara not worn once by Queen Fabiola or was it Paola with the arches but without the deamonds inside the arches?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
On HD pics one can see thin wiring being wrapped around the diadem in a rather clumsy way. It has nothing to do with the top arches. Also when only the base is worn, the wiring is visible. It looks like the wiring is done to fix it to a haircomb/base. I have the idea, for a lady in such a position, that the renowned jewellers im Brussels or Antwerp really can make a better fixation without any visible wiring...

See piture: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e0573a9230.jpg
Sorry, but I am not convinced. I don't think that those are wires, but think that those are gaps of the hinges. We know that the base must be flexible because it can also be worn as bracelet and necklace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But was the tiara not worn once by Queen Fabiola or was it Paola with the arches but without the deamonds inside the arches?
You are right. Also Princess Lilian has been seen with the diamonds attached to a necklace. So the diamonds can surely be detached. What I think is that they can't be attached to the base without either the arches or the old original prongs.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry, but I am not convinced. I don't think that those are wires, but think that those are gaps of the hinges. We know that the base must be flexible because it can also be worn as bracelet and necklace.

[...]
I thought that too, but I tried to find a pattern in the "gaps" and could not find any while the bandeau has a logic geometric pattern. I have seen this picture in HD, five times bigger and then you really can see strange things.

The original base:
http://www.allthingsroyal.nl/assets/...ieen/tiara.jpg

The same base, compare and see the wiring:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e0573a9230.jpg
(click on the picture to enlarge)
Old 04-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Astrid wore the huge diamonds as necklace with her ( now lost ??) emerald tiara.
Princess Lilian wore the diamonds on top of the deco tiara (now Queen Paola's tiara).
Princess Lilian who was not allowed to wear the tiara in its whole wore the base as tiara for President René Coty State Visit in 1958 and got critics.
Queen Fabiola wore for the first time the 9P tiara as wedding tiara since 1935
Queen Fabiola wore the 9P tiara with empty arches and its base as tiara.
Queen Paola never wore the base of the 9Ptiara but wore it as choker necklace.

Queen Mathide and Queen Astrid are the best wearers of the 9p tiara.

I agree with Duke comments about the wirings.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Saturday Sparkler: The Nine Provinces Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Interesting tiara but I dislike it.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I made a blogpost about the history of this tiara, if you'd like to find out more: Queen Mathilde: Jewels: The tiara of the nine provinces
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Well done Hannelore - congratulations !

I never knew how was the Reaction at that time from the Belgians who give the tiara or from Queen Elisabeth seeing their present completely changed because the new Princess did not like it.

I think Astrid changed the tiara bedore 1934 , she wore it for Princess Marie-Josée Wedding in Rome in 1930.

The same is for her Stockholm tiara. She wore it once and then only the pear as brooch.

Who paid the Arches ?? Where is the base of the Stockholm tiara ??
Old 04-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The arches maybe are a "left over" from a broken-up collier or bracelet and added to the diadem. Princess Astrid was right to dislike the diadem. What were the designers thinking? A beautiful band with eleven ugly bare sticks topped with a diamond?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've never noticed the round diamonds inside the losenges before,they look a little bit lost inside and would make a lovely necklace for Queen Mathilde.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

What surprises me is that the eleven big diamonds in the Nine Provinces Diadem are not top class. Together they are 100 carat, which is nice but... in a white diamond, the presence of a yellow tint will significantly lower the price of a diamond. The less body color in a white diamond, the more true color it will reflect, and thus the greater its value.... Think about the four C's: Carat, Cut, Colour and Clarity.

The eleven big diamonds all have a clear yellow tint. See this picture. The colour difference is clear. The surprise is that a country like Belgium, with diamonds from (then) Belgian Congo, and with worldfamous diamond industries in Antwerp actually gave their new Queen (Princess Astrid of Sweden) eleven eye-catching diamonds which are not superior. Not that they are less lovely but it significantly drops the value and isn't a Queen worth the best of the best to represent her great country?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

I actually think the yellow diamonds in the tiara are quite a lovely contrast. Maybe the idea was not especially to go for the highest value but for a different "look". As you said they certainly could have provided the clear diamonds. Maybe they went for a distinctive look instead.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a few close-ups of the tiara. Click on the magnifying mirror to see the image in the original size.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I actually think the yellow diamonds in the tiara are quite a lovely contrast. Maybe the idea was not especially to go for the highest value but for a different "look". As you said they certainly could have provided the clear diamonds. Maybe they went for a distinctive look instead.
According the book Koninklijke Juwelen by Christophe Vachaudez this diadem (the geometric bandeau with eleven spikes topped with large diamonds, to be worn low on the forehead à la the mode of those days) was a national gift to Princess Astrid of Sweden and it was by Nationale Intekening / Souscription Nationale (National Inscription). This means: anyone was free to contribute to the gift by inscription on the post office or town hall.

The eleven bigger diamonds came from the Belgian Congo and were cut by craftsmen from the Antwerp diamond industry. It is not clear to me if Belgian Congo was able to provide purest diamonds of the highest quality or that it was a matter of the prize tag attached to it. (Were the funds from the Nationale Intekening enough?) The diadem (in the original design) was designed by Jeweller De Bever and completely set in platinum.

About the arches, Christophe Vachaudez wrote: "Before Princess Astrid became Queen, she requested a change of the diadem. Around each of the eleven diamonds, lozenge-shaped arches were added. On base of a portrait from Queen Joséphine of Sweden, wearing a hairband with a similar motif, one can think about a far inheritance, but nothing is mentioned in the lists with presents received by the Princess. When one would have the chance to have a closer look to the setting, then it will reveal if older pieces were used for the change, or not."

Old 04-18-2015, 04:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Here's a few close-ups of the tiara. Click on the magnifying mirror to see the image in the original size.
Thank you. The close up definitely shows irregular gaps which look something like black (needle) wires indeed, which are not visible on older pictures.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

you are right about the wires. I see them too. Less disturbing than one of these ugly bases that some other tiaras have to attach it to the hair though.

Interesting that a jewel Josephine of Leuchtenberg served as an inspiration for the new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Thanks Humera! Those close ups are great! Lovely to see the details of the tiara up close.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope reading one day something more positive about our best jewels (100 carats !, if they were that bad, the Anwerp's craftsmen should have complain), the surroundings of the schools of our royal princes etc... from a very clever Dutch Gentleman living in France ?
May I add that the Elephant Order it to be seen on its side and not on its front...

Tags
crown princess mathilde, jewellery, mathilde, princess mathilde