Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No we saw before (Prince Albert's Wedding pearl earrings) but they are others.
She wore Queen Fabiola's earrings for the first time in Sweden for the Wedding.

I just stumbled about this blog entry, saying that they are from Queen Fabiola!
L’hommage de la reine Mathilde à la reine Fabiola
She has already worn them while Queen Fabiola was alive, so they were a gift and not inheritance. Mathilde has also worn them at Carl-Philip's wedding.

edit: I noticed that we were discussing the very same earrings on the top of this page, and I was wrong: there is no proof that Mathilde has worn them before Queen Fabiola died.

Last edited:
This is good news ; a late Royal giving his jewels to the main Branch.

We had the sad story of Queen Elisabeth giving her Cartier tiara to her Son Leopold III, instead to King Baudouin with the result that Princess Lilian sold this tiara.

A lot of Queen Elisabeth and the Countess of Flanders jewels went to Queen Marie José whose daughter Marie Gabrielle sold them.

So far we know that Mathilde was given the beautiful diamond brooch, the emerald and ruby earings and these diamond earrings. But it is still not known if she received anything else or if this is it. Let's hope that more jewels or the late Queen will be seen soon.

So far we know that Mathilde was given the beautiful diamond brooch, the emerald and ruby earings and these diamond earrings. But it is still not known if she received anything else or if this is it. Let's hope that more jewels or the late Queen will be seen soon.

The Spanish wedding gift tiara is somewhat controversial in the sense that, if I understand it correctly, it was actually a gift from the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. Queen Fabiola wore it often though, not least because she didn't have many other alternative items to choose from and the Spanish tiara itself is very versatile as it can be worn in different configurations.

I suppose it would be natural for Queen Fabiola to leave the tiara to Mathilde. Unfortunately, we don't know if that was the case, or if Fabiola gave it away for charity (like most of her personal wealth), or left it to some other family member.

The Spanish wedding gift tiara is somewhat controversial in the sense that, if I understand it correctly, it was actually a gift from the Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. [...]

It was a gift of Spain to a fellow citizen, engaged with the King of the Belgians.

Yes, Madame Franco had a (very good) hand in choosing a nice diadem but it still was not a gift "from Franco" but from Spain.

:flowers:

[...] We had the sad story of Queen Elisabeth giving her Cartier tiara to her Son Leopold III, instead to King Baudouin with the result that Princess Lilian sold this tiara.

[...]

Isn't it normal that Queen Elisabeth gave her jewels to her eldest son? For tax reasons alone that was the wisest thing to do anyway.

That Princess Lilian sold the diadem on her turn, tja... The diadem never belonged to her stepdaughters-in-law Queen Fabiola or Princess Paola. It was Princess Lilian's very own right to do with it what she wanted. Maybe there were urgent financial needs. Who knows?

So many jewels have been dispersed, auctioned off or left to heirs outside the royal family. There are only two diadems inherited from previous generations; all the rest of the jewelry of Queen Louise-Marie, Princess Charlotte, Queen Marie-Henriette, Princess Louise, Princess Stéphanie, Princess Clémentine, Queen Elisabeth, Princess Marie-José, Queen Astrid and Princess Joséphine-Charlotte passed to other hands, so what Princess Lilian did was a tradition pre-dating her by far.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I have never heard that the Belgian people the Spanish gift tiara as controversial. Actually I doubt that many peope know about the provenance. If Queen Mathilde started to wear it they would probabaly only say it's 'Queen Fabiola's tiara'.

Queen Fabiola wore her Spanish tiara a few times and change it completely without conserving its base.
The red stones , were I read not rubies.

I don't remember if on tiara version 2 we saw the red stones ??

I have always be surprised how Queen Elisabeth since the beginning really liked Princess Lilian.
When she died in 1965 she knew that nevermore King Leopold III and Lilian would attend royal glittering events in Belgium. I am sure Princess Lilian asked her husband to be the owner of the Cartier tiara , so Queen Fabiola will never have it. When King Leopold III died she sold the tiara. She had absolutetly no need of money.
When she died her children Alexandre (who had to wait years to annouce his wedding to his mother) and Princess Maria Esmeralda had to sell a lot because Princess Marie Christine living in the USA had money problems and waited her 1/3.

Another question to me : How was the relationship with Queen Astrid and the Widow Queen after King Albert I died in an unexpected way..
She gave to Astrid her own Cartier tiara when her third Child Albert was born.

Last edited:
Queen Fabiola wore her Spanish tiara a few times and change it completely without conserving its base.
The red stones , were I read not rubies.

I don't remember if on tiara version 2 we saw the red stones ??

She also the second vErsion a few times with the red stones. But very long ago probably in the 1960's or 70's. But i think the same goes for the Version with the green stones.

Queen fabiola received aquamarines from her husband and the tiara was so often seen with them and a huge diamond necklace and a big pendant

Mathilde seems to be wearing the Wolfers tiara for the first time tonight:

1 2

It's wonderful to see her wear a different tiara. The Wolfers tiara is very elegant and regal. It's also my favorite tiara in the family.

Hurrah.. perhaps wonderful Queen Fabiola has bequeathed her jewels to the sadly depleted Belgian Royal collection ?

This is the news we have been waiting for! It means that there is a good chance that also other piece from the late Queen Fabiola's collection are still in the family. It is now likely that we will see Queen Mathilde with the Spanish tiara as well. :D

Mathilde seems to be wearing the Wolfers tiara for the first time tonight:

1 2

It's wonderful to see her wear a different tiara. The Wolfers tiara is very elegant and regal. It's also my favorite tiara in the family.

absolutely wonderful! I love that she now has at least three tiaras in her collection, though she has few opportunities to wear them these days. She looks lovely tonight.

Hurrah.. perhaps wonderful Queen Fabiola has bequeathed her jewels to the sadly depleted Belgian Royal collection ?

Let's hope that Mathilde also gets to wear in the future Fabiola's Spanish tiara and that she also inherits the art deco tiara from Queen Paola. She will then have a more respectable personal collection fit for the queen consort of a wealthy European country and former colonial power like Belgium.

Let's hope that Mathilde also gets to wear in the future Fabiola's Spanish tiara and that she also inherits the art deco tiara from Queen Paola. She will then have a more respectable personal collection fit for the queen consort of a wealthy European country and former colonial power like Belgium.

I'd imagine that Paola will retain hold of the Art Deco until her death. I don't know if she'll ever attend another gala, but only time will tell.

Queen Paola's deco tiara will be for Princess Astrid who owns no private tiara

It is a possibility that Queen Paola leaves the art deco bandeau directly to her granddaughter Elisabeth. But as long as it stays in the main line of the family, I'll be very happy.

If Queen Mathilde also has the Spanish tiara, that means she has four tiaras, one of them being extremely flexible. That is already more than the two previous Queens had.

It was the great news that I've been waiting for a long time. Though the pictures are blurry, it seems that the Wolfers tiara looks very beautiful on Queen Mathilde

Wonderful to see Queen Mathilde wearing the Wolfers Tiara tonight,the late queen Fabiola had some beautiful jewelry and hopefully its been left to queen Mathilde!

Queen Paola's deco tiara will be for Princess Astrid who owns no private tiara

Eh. Astrid seems comfortable in her husband's family's tiara. There's no need for her to have the Art Deco to own. Her own daughters will have little need of tiaras in the future besides their weddings. Belgium doesn't do tiara events often outside of state visits & the children of Astrid are not likely to attend many outside events.

At last another tiara for the Queen. Wonderful, beautiful tiara. Let's hope see and spanish tiara to Mathilde.

Agree. The laurel tiara as necklace is not so good but now Mathilde she can wore it anything she want because has new tiara.

:previous: I have to admit to being totally underwhelmed. I wish she had worn her Laurel Leaf as a tiara and the Wolfers as a necklace because the Laurel Leaf has an elegance and purity of line that the Wolfers lacks.

Agree. But I think because it was the first time wore it preferred to do so wearing as tiara. I guess we will see as necklace combined perhaps with 9-province tiara as did Fabiola.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Wolfers tiara belong to the Royal family? I thought Queen Mathilde uses only the Nine Provinces tiara.

Does the Wolfers tiara belong to the Royal family? I thought Queen Mathilde uses only the Nine Provinces tiara.

One can assume, since she's wearing it, that the tiara was either left to Mathilde personally, or to the royal family. I don't think we'll know specifics unless the royal family confirms anything.

Mathilde still has her laurel tiara, which she wears as a necklace today. She hasn't worn it for the few tiara events she had since she is Queen, but it was clear that it is still available for her.

The Wolfer's tiara has belonged to Queen Fabiola. After her death it was not known if it was still in the family, or if it had gone to Fabiola's foundation, together with the bulk of her estate. Today's banquet shows that it still belongs to the Royal family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom