Old 07-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Courtier

do the Belgians posses crown jewels?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
do the Belgians posses crown jewels?
I believe there is only one piece, which is the nine Provence tiara.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
I believe there is only one piece, which is the nine Provence tiara.
That's not a crown jewel. Belgium doesn't have any. It only has a crown on paper :)
The Nine Provinces Tiara was a wedding gift from the people to Queen Astrid, wife of Leopold III. More on the piece here: The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Nine Provinces Tiara

Mathilde has only one tiara, but I hope she'll get access to some others now that she's queen!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Nobility

It may not be called that but no one also owns it. Only a queen can wear it, and when her tenure ends, she must give it to the next queen. Even Princess Lilian wasn't allowed to wear it fully as a tiara. although she was the wife of a king, she never was HM Queen of the Belgian. So there are some strict rules about this tiara.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Do you have a reference for this information? afaik this is a family-custom, not a rule..
However, it's not an official crown-jewel, as (as mentioned before) Belgium does not have those.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Courtier

for kicks...

A Tiara a Day
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Mathilde with The Nine Provinces Tiara
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rwubo8.jpg
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Administrator

more correctly, the BASE of the Nine Provinces Tiara...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jewels Nine Provinces Tiara base July 2013.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	289714  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

Do you have a reference for this information? afaik this is a family-custom, not a rule..

However, it's not an official crown-jewel, as (as mentioned before) Belgium does not have those..
No, it is not an official crown jewel, as Belgium has none. But with the restriction upon using it, I consider it a semi official crown jewel.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

I was waiting to see the Picture of Mathilde in the nine provinces Tiara AND I am happy that she is wearing only the base - I think it Looks so much better......
Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Not a fan of the tiara but it's great to see her in something new!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Niiiiice!!! I like it, I like it...
Old 07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

So it is confirmed: the 9 Provinces Tiara was passed on to the new Queen!

She looks very nice with it. I think that it is rather wise to start out with the bandeau only, given the situation in Belgium. The large version will probably come out with royal-royal state visits starting.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is the Queen's tiara. Princess Lilian was not allowed to wear it on its whole.
The first time we saw the Queen's tiara after the late Queen Astrid was Queen Fabiola on her wedding day.
First time a Queen is wearing the Sash of the Leopold's Order, wonderful Queen wearing her jewels more as Queen Fabiola did.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
No, it is not an official crown jewel, as Belgium has none. But with the restriction upon using it, I consider it a semi official crown jewel.
There is no way to know if the 9 provinces can only be worn by queens, it was a gift to Astrid and she wears it in her most famous picture. Having been the most famous/beloved queen in Belgium people didn’t quiet accept when Leopold married for the second time. The tiara must have belonged to Leopold after Astrid’s death otherwise Lilian wouldn’t be able to wear the big diamonds in her gold necklace. She might have simply decided not to wear a piece so associated with Astrid, it could have been Leopold’s decision to give his late wife’s tiara to the new queen (Fabiola) as a wedding gift.

Creating a restriction allowing only queens to wear it would be nice, as would be adding the all the jewelry to the royal trust (forbidding them to be sold or to leave the main line of the BRF).

The Belgium jewelry collection is very petit (ironical since the country’s diamonds are so famous), but maybe the collection will increase in the years to come. Queen Mathilde has the Brabant Laurel Wreath Tiara and now the Nine Provinces Tiara (and queen Fabiola’s diamond brooch). Hopefully she will get the Spanish Wedding Gift Tiara and the Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Bandeau.

There are also some jewelry that we now exist like Queen Fabiola’s diamond daisys, the big aquamarine necklace, the wolfers necklace/tiara, the v-shaped diamond necklace (Queen Fabiola), queen Fabiola’s emerald and diamond leaf brooch and other minor jewelry that we hope will stay in the main line.

The only jewelry that people are sure was sold is the Cartier Diadem, so some people believe that some old jewelry are still with the family (maybe under some kind of embargo – like in the greek situation) this would include the Stockholm Tiara (worn by Astrid and Lilian), the Cartier flower tiara (if Lilian actually bought it, I think she would have sold it..), Lilian’s famous diamond & emerald earings, Queen Astrid emerald necklace/tiara and my personal favorite the big emerald brooch.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Aristocracy

I am not a fan of the nine provinces tiara, but if you must wear it, the base does look better alone. If I were Mathilde, I would stick to the laurel wreath tiara. It's so pretty on her.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

This looks more like a bandeau tiara, but it's nice to see something different on the Queen. She looks appropriately regal and elegant in her blue gown and orders, BTW.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Nobility

Glittering Royal Events Message Board: New official portraits

Looking at the new official Pictures, I see the sapphire ring on Mathildes right Hand. Can somebody confirm, if this is the sapphire ring, she received as replacement for her Engagement ring?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rwubo8.jpg

Well, with many articles about the Belgium Jewellery in the run up to the Abdication and Inauguration I have to admit I came to the conclusion that the Nine Provinces Tiara would be best served by breaking it into nine pieces and sending one to each province! In other words . . . that is one ugly, mishmash of style and design!

However, leave it to Mathilde to create the perfect stlye to showcase the Base of the tiara to good effect. In fact she did more than that, she made it look elegant. Her smooth up do perfectly complemented the somewhat busy base and turned it into a stunning bandeau! It almost looks like a whole new tiara so, well done Mathilde and I can't wait to see how you play around with the rest of the goodies.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Commoner

These photos are terrible - are they directly official or somewhat "adulterated"

Tags
crown princess mathilde, jewellery, mathilde, princess mathilde