Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Elisabetta wore Mathilde's wedding tiara, it seems Paola gave it to Astrid. If so, then maybe Mathilde will never wear the tiara again, which is too bad.

Now that Elisabetta wore Mathilde's wedding tiara, it seems Paola gave it to Astrid. If so, then maybe Mathilde will never wear the tiara again, which is too bad.
But Queen Paola is Amadeo's grandmother. Why shouldn't granny lend her tiara to her grandson's bride? I don't think that it means that it has gone to Princess Astrid, and I hope that Queen Paola will still wear it from time to time, eg. at lavish Skandinavian birthdays (Margrethe II will be 75 next year).

I think that Paola will keep for live and than leave it either to Mathilde or Elisabeth.

I don't think the Queen will attend other glittering royal Events anymore and give this tiara to her daughter in law the actual Queen.
What nice to see Queen Elisabeth's tiara - to Queen Astrid as present for Prince Albert's birth- unlucky to Princess Lilian who add the 9 diamonds of the Queen's tiara - to Princess Paola, Prince Albert's wife - and now to Elisabetta and later for Princess Astrid's other weddings to come( 3 daughters).
I should not be surprised this tiara will be Princess Astrid's as she has no tiara on her own.

I don't think the Queen will attend other glittering royal Events anymore and give this tiara to her daughter in law the actual Queen.
What nice to see Queen Elisabeth's tiara - to Queen Astrid as present for Prince Albert's birth- unlucky to Princess Lilian who add the 9 diamonds of the Queen's tiara - to Princess Paola, Prince Albert's wife - and now to Elisabetta and later for Princess Astrid's other weddings to come( 3 daughters).
I should not be surprised this tiara will be Princess Astrid's as she has no tiara on her own.
I'm still not convinced. Princess Margharita has to leave her jewels to someone and Lorenz is the eldest son. She would want her highest ranking daughter-in-law to continue to wear these important jewels. Maybe she already gave the tiara to Lorenzs, this might save inheritance tax.

I hope that the next wedding comes soon, because I'm curious to see if this bandeau becomes the family's wedding tiara. And I still hope that Princess Elisabeth will have this tiara in the end. She bears the name of the first owner and will be the next queen.

I hope not!! Belgium royals family is already quite short of tiaras and I hope this tiara stays with Queen Mathilde and to the future Queen Elisabeth. Astrid's 3 daughters could wear tiaras of their paternal's family or borrow the Belgium tiaras.

King Albert and Queen Poala did not attend the State Dinner of the President of China, they were on holiday.....

Who knows? In Norway Princess Märtha-Louise normally does not attend State Visits anymore. But she appeared at the banquets for befriended royals like King Juan Carlos, Queen Beatrix or GD Henri. So I have a tiny hope that Albert & Paola will attend at least some special banquets in the future. I just won't give up hope to see the art deco tiara on Paola again.;)

Although Queen Fabiola stopped wearing tiaras after her husband's death, she did not pass her personal tiaras on, so why should Queen Paola? Princess Astrid has a perfectly beautiful tiara to wear, her daughters and Elisabetta probably won't attend State Visits. She needs another tiara much less than the current queen whose four children probably will attend State Visits once they reach the appropriate age.

I would hope Queens Fabiola and Paola would eventually pass on their jewels to Queen Mathilde and that way they are preserved for the future as part of a royal collection.

I am sure and not sure ,An Ard Ri.
Queen fabiola gave anything to Queen Paola , their relationship was never good.
Now we have to wait future glittering Royal Events.
They are jewels She received for her wedding (Spain and Wolfers tiaras) and jewels from King Baudouin (aquamarines)
I hope at least seeing the 2 tiaras which will be much nicer on Mathilde's hairdo.

Concerning Queen Paola's tiaras , the deco and 2 necklaces shore wore as tiaras, I am not sure She will give them to Queen Mathilde. The relationship between the 2 Royal houses is bad for the moment !

I would hope that both Queens Fabiola and Paola leave their tiaras and important jewels to Mathilde.

I think the Wolfers tiara would look lovely on Queen Mathilde as would Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara.

I think the Wolfers tiara would look lovely on Queen Mathilde as would Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara.

I think the Spanish tiara would work well for Mathilde. The Wolfers could well be a starter tiara for the Duchess of Brabant in a few years from now.

Any which way, I do hope they return to the "main line" of the Belgian royal family to give the ladies there a bit more "tiara-power"

Yes the Wolfers would be a lovely choice for the Duchess of Brabant first tiara event.

"Tiara-power", I love that expression;), it is really needed. When do you think that Queen Mathilde will wear the full version of the 9-Provinces tiara for the first time? I think it might be at a State Visit to or from another Monarch. But as long as there is no new government, there won't be any State Visits in the planning :sad:.

The Wolfers tiara would be absolutely perfect as a first tiara for Princess Elisabeth. But I hope that she won't be stuck with just one tiara during all her years as Crown Princess. I hope that the family might do more sharing of jewels. The laurel tiara and the art deco tiara both will be lovely for a younger lady.

I've been working on the tiaras for the Belgian Royal Family. Queen Mathilde has just worn three tiaras but hopefully in the future Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola will choose the pass on the bulk of their jewellery to the current queen.

Diamond Bandeau Tiara
Laurel Wreath Tiara
Nine Provinces Tiara

"The bulk"? Queen Paola has only one diadem (Diadem Bandeau) which was already worn by Queen Mathilde on her wedding day. Queen Fabiola has only one diadem left, the Spanish Wedding Gift. There is also a necklace which can be converted into a little mini-diadem (from the jeweller firm Wolfers) but that is it. For the rest no major jewelry in the Belgian collection.

:flowers:

"The bulk"? Queen Paola has only one diadem (Diadem Bandeau) which was already worn by Queen Mathilde on her wedding day. Queen Fabiola has only one diadem left, the Spanish Wedding Gift. There is also a necklace which can be converted into a little mini-diadem (from the jeweller firm Wolfers) but that is it. For the rest no major jewelry in the Belgian collection.

:flowers:

I found these pieces of Queen Fabiola's from just a quick search through her jewellery thread but I'm sure that there is plenty more. I believe she has a couple other diamond brooches along with several sets of pearl earrings and necklaces and I didn't even include any bracelets.
Diamond Necklace Tiara
Diamond necklace
Spanish Wedding Gift Tiara
Aquamarine earrings and necklace
Aquamarine earrings and necklace
This set
Diamond daisy brooch

With major pieces is usually meant full parures, diadems, stomachers, etc. Yes, Queen Fabiola has some pieces. One brooch, the waterfall drop diamond brooch, has already been given/loaned to Queen Mathilde.

It remains to be seen what the Queen does in her Will. When she gives it to the lady who is married to the eldest son of her late husband's younger brother, then the succession taxes are hefty because there is no degree of consanguity between the deceased and the beneficiant. (In continental systems the succession taxes increase progressively with the degree of consanguity between the deceased and the beneficiant). For this reason it is also possible Queen Fabiola will leave it to those who are close to her in consanguity, her Spanish De Mora y Aragón relatives.

Princess Astrid received from TMM King Albert and Queen Elisabeth as birth present for Princess Josephine Charlotte ( 1927) a choker with a big emerald it belongs now to the Luxembourg RF
For Prince Albert (1934) she received the bandeau tiara , it belongs now to Queen Paola.

For Prince Baudouin, the Heir (1930) she received an emerald parure (worn so many times by Princess Lilian) it surely belongs to Queen Fabiola who never wore them.

For King Baudoun's 2 pre-wedding events Princess lilian had no tiara anymore and wore 2 times the same loan (Cartier ?) tiara.
(In fact she had the small version of her Cathedral tiara (1958) she loan to Princess Marie Gabrielle of Savoie for one of the pre-wedding Event.

If Queen Fabiola never wore the Emerald parure given to her mother-in-law on the birth of Prince Baudouin it can ONLY be because Princess Lilian flogged it, as she did with so much of the Jewel patrimony of the Belgian Royal House...

No she sold only Queen Elisabeth's Cartier tiaras after her husband (the owner) death.
and some of her private jewels . Queen Astrid jewels were not hers !

Why then, i wonder has Queen Fabiola [who loved her husband so] never worn jewels so closely associated with him, and his much lamented mother ?

I think because Princess Lilian was still alive !(she survived King Baudouin)
Everybody in belgium are expecting to see the emerald tiara and necklace again !

Is she really ? I thought she was long dead ! There is hope then that the emeralds will return to the Royal family [unless they are sold to pay death duties.. [or the equivalent in Belgium ?]

The outrage about the sale of the Cartier Diadem is unfair to Princess Lilian. Note that after the death of Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians (1965) it passed to her eldest son, former King Leopold III. Not to her younger son Prince Charles, not to her daughter Queen Marie-José of Italy, not to her grandson King Baudouin, etc. After the death of former King Leopold III (1983) naturally his surviving widow, Princess Lilian, could do with the diadem what she wanted. As so many other Belgian royal ladies did before her, the jewels partly dispersed.

Interestingly, Princess Lilian was related to the Cartier family by marriage. M Jean-Jacques Cartier was her brother-in-law as her sister Lydia was married to him. No doubt that a fine deal was arranged between Princess Lilian and the firm Cartier...

Note also that King Leopold III was not only the father of King Baudouin, King Albert II and Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte. He was also the father of Prince Alexandre, Princess Marie-Christine and Princess Marie-Esméralda. According Belgian law the surviving spouse and the 6 children all had the right on a fair share in the estate of the late King. Auctions often are unavoidable to make a proper division between all the heirs and to overcome succession taxes.

Last edited:
The Cartier fine deal said tiara from a royal family and Vincent Meylan wrote from the Princess de Rethy and she was angry.... but this is out of topic !

Indeed the rules of the Code Napoleon [as regards equal inheritance between all children upon death of a parent] have ensured the tragic dispersal of estates and collections of all kinds throughout the countries he invaded in Europe .. Fortunately he never made it to Britain where Primogeniture [inheritance of the eldest son] ensured the preservation of great houses and collections [at least until the dreaded 'Death Duty' taxes began to take their toll...]
Thankfully most estates and collections are now held 'in trust' for future generations thus reducing the destructive effects of these taxes, and individuals are free [in Britain] to leave their property to whom they chose, rather than have it ordered according to the dictates of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom