Queen Mathilde Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of disappointed that she did not wear the full version of the tiara, as she does not have a lot of opportunities to wear tiaras.

(Photos from Iceflower)

Yes it was indeed a pity ,maybe the full version was a bit heavy.On the plus side Queen Mathilde looked radiant & we got a Belgian tiara event!

Yes it was indeed a pity ,maybe the full version was a bit heavy.On the plus side Queen Mathilde looked radiant & we got a Belgian tiara event!

I'm guessing it has to do with respect being shown toward the guest country and it's recent political history. Choosing a smaller tiara when it's a given that the visitors will not be so attired shows respect, IMHO.

I hope so ! They scream "Far East gift" imo.

I don't doubt at all that these are real. If you enlarge the pictures the clarity of the stones is very apparent. I would also guess that they have been a gift from a foreign dignitary.

Does Belgian have no vaults, long lost bits and pieces or those previously deemed too OTT, too old or ugly or, just former Queen's who were not comfortable wearing serious bling and liked to fly under the radar so to speak?

Mathilde has such innate grace and elegance that seeing her wearing any jewellery always looks just right.

Today at the Chinese state dinner, Mathilde wore the base of the Nine Provinces tiara:

1 2

Kind of disappointed that she did not wear the full version of the tiara, as she does not have a lot of opportunities to wear tiaras.

(Photos from Iceflower)

Do you have a picture of the full version of the tiara?
This is a lovely piece on Mathilde and I love her earrings.

Chinese state dinner

images have been cropped and are not subject of copyright

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 330
  • 766.jpg
    766.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 299
Is there possibility to wear arches with big diamonds of the provincess tiara in a necklace form or as a "third option provinces tiara". I think Queen Mathilde will also looks lovely in just upper part of this tiara.

Is there possibility to wear arches with big diamonds of the provincess tiara in a necklace form or as a "third option provinces tiara". I think Queen Mathilde will also looks lovely in just upper part of this tiara.

So far the arches have never been seen without the tiara base.

But the diamonds have been seen in a necklace (Princess Lilian who could not wear the tiara in its whole as she was never Queen)

I do think that "only Belgian Queens are allowed to wear the full version of the Nine provinces tiara" is more or less a myth. Lilian wore the base of the tiara and if she didn't wear the full version was maybe a simple matter of taste (it's not a delicate piece of jewellery let's face it, the spikes are quite challenging). The base was used as a tiara, necklace and bracelet by Lilian and the big diamonds cleverly reset on another pieces : well that's i call using a jewel !
Mathilde seems to have the same refined and understated tastes and i'm not surprised to see this simple Art deco bandeau used like this, without those pesty arches !

I agree, there is no such a rule: "You are no Queen, you can not wear the Nine Provinces in full". Princess Lilian was the spouse of King Leopold III and had access to beautiful jewels. She made maximum use of these sparkling things. The Nine Provinces is not very beautiful, it is a strange clash of two total different designs. It is very well possible Princess Lilian simply did not like the full setting with those arches.

She could not wear the Queen's tiara. Queen Astrid wore it in her last Official Portrait !
Princess Lilian wore the bandeau tiara for President Coty's State Dinner (1958) and it was criticized.
Queen Fabiola wore it on her wedding day, it was the first time we saw it since 1935.
For the 2 pre-weddings royal events, Princess Lilian borrowed a tiara she wore 2 times !

Well, from what I know about Princess Lilian she was the type who wanted as much glitter as she could get. So her not using the full setting most likely had something to do with her predecessor. The picture of Astrid with the 9 provinces tiara was and is very iconic. A bit like the pearl tiara was for the late Princess of Wales. But indeed, it is no rule set in stone, more a fear for public opinion as maria olivia says.

I love the 9 provinces actually, but I love the art deco style in general.

Queen Mathilde in Norway on April 30th.

Close-ups of the jewels:
*Images have been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original versions, and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Queen Mathilde in Norway on April 30th.

Close-ups of the jewels:
*Images have been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original versions, and are not subject to copyright

That is one gorgeous set. What are the stones used for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what those stones are, whatever they are they are gorgeous!

That is one gorgeous set. What are the stones used for it?

I think they're lavender jade, combined with amethysts. Princess Martha Louise also has a pretty earring and necklace set in the same shade of jade. I think Mathilde might've been wearing a matching ring in her left hand as well but I couldn't find a good picture of it.

Never knew there was such a thing as lavender jade. Stunning!

Actually jade comes in several shades. My mom has an earring and pendant set in green jade and one in lavender, they're both lovely.

Neither did I. The stuff I learn around here is amazing at times. :). It really is a stunning set.

Indeed on both counts. You do learn amazing stuff on here, and it is a stunning set. I think I like lavender jade better than green jade. But then purple is my favorite color.
And those amethysts!:D

Here's a picture of Princess Martha Louise in the set I mentioned before. I'm pretty sure it is lavender jade as well and the earrings are quite similar in design to Queen Mathilde's.

*Image has been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original, and is not subject to copyright

Attachments

• MarthaLouise.jpg
    MarthaLouise.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 324
Looks like it to me. That set is even more stunning than Mathilde's.

Such unusual gems, but I love Mathilde's bracelet with the mixture of jade and amethyst with the smaller stones in between. A very vintage look and just so eye-catching.

Here's a picture of Princess Martha Louise in the set I mentioned before. I'm pretty sure it is lavender jade as well and the earrings are quite similar in design to Queen Mathilde's.

*Image has been heavily cropped, comprising less than 20% of the original, and is not subject to copyright

I would have sworn due to the lighting that Martha Louise's necklace were Opals. A shame, as my birthstone is so beautiful, but gets so little Royal love.

I love both her necklace and Mathilde's set. I think because they look antique and also the cabochon look. I adore cabochon jewelry like this for a formal daytime look. It gives you a good zing of bling, but w/out it being too flashy and in your face, if that makes sense. I hope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom