Queen Margrethe II Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I included it because she did wear it (and it is gorgeous!).

The Khedive tiara should have remained in Denmark.

As a royal observer, I'm not parituclarly impressed with the way in which jewellery has been divided up in Denmark. Some fabulous pieces of jewellery will now be passed on through a deposed royal dynasty which will only continue to have very little need for tiara's in future years to come, and a relatively unimportant princely house.

But I'd imagine the issue of jewellery to be a relatively basic undertaking with minimal fuss for those involved.

I would suggest though that the floral tiara now owned by Margrethe to be left to the Crown, for use of the Queen Consort/Regnant, that way ensuring it's permanent place in the Danish royal jewellery collection.

Of course, now another question is raised--if Alexandra's tiara will go to her children, what do Marie and Joachim's children receive? Perhaps that lovely floral will one day pass from the main branch as well--which is much sadder to me than the Alexandrine tiara. I hope that foundation gets created soon!
That is a good question: What will the other grandchildren receive? No. 6 and 7 are on the way, more may come. It will be completely impossible to provide a royal tiara for each of them, or Mary will only have the emerald parure left:eek:!

As for the poppies, this could perhaps be considered 'somewhat' of an improvement...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/21.jpg
WONDERFUL:flowers:
It is sooo much better than the original setting! The golden flowers look lovely on Mary's dar hair, and you chose the perfect dress to match them.

The poppies would look gorgeous in Mary's dark hair if she wore a few as hair pieces.

IMO..so what if C Alexandra was given the tiara as a gift, she should give it back. Its not a gift to me in the traditional sense because if she wasn't a princess at the time she wouldn't have been given it. These are the jewels of Denmark...not some diamond from auntie set in a ring for her. Nobody would ask for her other jewelry pieces but the tiara to me goes in a whole different catagory!!!Anyone agree?:):)

I really don't think that she should return it back. First of all, IMO it would perhaps make the Royal Family look back - imagine the tabloids writing about how petty ther are that they want the tiara back :eek: (even if this is clearly not the case, they could still look bad). Besides, there is nothing wrong with ensuring that at least one of her royal sons will get a royal heirloom, because if she gave it back to Margrethe and not Joachim, the tiara could end to Frederik's descendants. So I guess she is acting as a good moteir in at aspect ;).
Anyway, thinking about these poppie things - why doesn't the Quuen make a modern parure out of it? Make a nice golden wreath with the poppies and some matching leaves , create a matching necklace, brooch and pair of earring with the rest and add it to her collection or give it to a daughter in law? This way the poppies could be of some real use to the family IMO.

Snowflower, she already has a necklace & earrings and trust me they are not good! lol They're so hideous all of the poppies, Idk why she still insists on wearing them, maybe if they weren't so bright yellow they would be better like red?? :flowers:

Know discussing Alexandras tiara, maybe Queen Margrethe can do what Queen Elizabeth did with Diana, the jewels she had given to her as gifts became life time loans to revert back to the sovereign when she died, which i think was a great idea, b/c or else they would lose the Emerald Choker and lose part of the emerald parure. Alexandras should be hers to wear for her whole life with the regulation she can't sell it or lend it to anyone and when she dies it goes to whoever is sovereign at the time. What do you guys think about that idea?

A Royal Foundation such is in place in the Netherlands would work well for their Danish counterparts.

A foundation would be a good idea, but I confess, I wouldn't like to see the jewellery shared around as they do in the Netherlands or in Sweden.

I think the use of jewellery can (and certainly does in Denmark) distnguish between rank and I quite like that. The prominent pieces of jewellery such as parures or suites should imo, be reserved for the use of the monarch, consort or the crown princess.

I hope that doesn't change.

Even though they do have a foundation in the Netherlands they are still some jewels that are only worn by the Queen. Maybe its just out of courtesy but it does give those jewels a specialness.

But what they do in Denmark does seem to work for them, and the Queen seems to give pieces to the princesses. (brooches, etc).

I didn't mean the the Countess should have to give back the tiara, I just think it would be proper manners. So it doesn't sit for 20 years until one of her sons gets married. (its selfish of me, because I would love to see it used!)

Even though they do have a foundation in the Netherlands they are still some jewels that are only worn by the Queen. Maybe its just out of courtesy but it does give those jewels a specialness.

But what they do in Denmark does seem to work for them, and the Queen seems to give pieces to the princesses. (brooches, etc).

I didn't mean the the Countess should have to give back the tiara, I just think it would be proper manners. So it doesn't sit for 20 years until one of her sons gets married. (its selfish of me, because I would love to see it used!)

The same in Sweden: the braganca tiara, the leuchtenberg sapphires and the cameo Parure (except for Victoria's Wedding) have been exclusive worn by Queen Silvia since her marriage. And also before the braganca tiara and the leuchtenberg sapphires have been worn only by the First Lady. (the only exception was Princess Birgitta with the leuchtenberg sapphires at the 1976 pre-Wedding Gala)

Though Denmark doesn't have such a variety to choose from. Their jewellery collection really isn't as large as their Ducth and Swedish counterparts. Certainly not to our knowledge.

Though Denmark doesn't have such a variety to choose from. Their jewellery collection really isn't as large as their Ducth and Swedish counterparts. Certainly not to our knowledge.

Ofcourse and exactly therefore they should stop to divid their jewels in inheritances.

I entirely agree, but that really wasn't the point I tried (though perhaps failed) to make.

I was talking about the sharing of jewels within a possible foundation. I am all for at least some form of jewellery foundation, but I'd still like to see the current system maintained so that we don't see either the Crown Princess or Princess Marie wearing any of jewellery used by the incumbent monarch, as we so often see in Sweden and the Netherlands.

I don't much like that.

I entirely agree, but that really wasn't the point I tried (though perhaps failed) to make.

I was talking about the sharing of jewels within a possible foundation. I am all for at least some form of jewellery foundation, but I'd still like to see the current system maintained so that we don't see either the Crown Princess or Princess Marie wearing any of jewellery used by the incumbent monarch, as we so often see in Sweden and the Netherlands.

I don't much like that.

But what would have aginst it if the for example could use the baden palmette tiara or the turqiose bandeau? And that Margrethe could use for the ruby Parure.

So true, Stefan. Some of the lesser pieces could be used by the Crown Princess and maybe some by P Marie, but hold the majors just for Queen Margrethe!

But what would have aginst it if the for example could use the baden palmette tiara or the turqiose bandeau? And that Margrethe could use for the ruby Parure.

The Baden Palmette has only ever been used by Margrethe thus far and I don't think it should be worn by the Crown Princess until she is Queen. Nor should Princess Marie wear it unless it is left to her at the Queen's bequest.

The Tourqoise suite I've never liked so I'm not overly excited by the propsect of it being worn by Margrethe let alone, Mary or Marie. Though I acknowledge it's 'significance' of sorts.

And as for the Desiree parure, if the late Queen Mother Ingrid had wanted her daughter to wear it, she'd have left it to her and not the prospective wife of Frederik.

With the (changeable) alterations which have been made, I don't think the parure would suit the Queen at all anyhow.

I like how they do things in Denmark for the most part. "What's 'mine' is 'mine' until I die and you inherit it's use". They just need to now leave it as it is, perhaps even acquire the odd piece here and there.

I don't much like that.

I agree! I hate the fact that in the Netherlands it's a free for all when picking jewelery! No one has any one piece that only thy have worn that's why I like when each person has their Jewelery and don't share, but between Mary & Marie I wouldn't mind seeing them trade their wedding tiaras but deff not the ruby Parure! Now onto losing/inheriting Jewels, I think it was established that even if Joachim & Alexandra didn't divorce that tiara was hers to go to her kids unlike Marie's tiara. Secondly they lost Alexandra's tiara but since Mary got a tiara it's still the same number of Tiaras so not to horrible, so I hope HOPE, that Marie's tiara doesn't get inherited, I doubt it will or else Margrethe would of given it as a wedding gift. :)

As we know, Marie's wedding tiara is a loan so it's as much a part of the royal collection today, as it always was.

I quite agree with you about each lady having pieces of jewellery that are, identifiable with them personally. A sense of continuity that I for one, quite like.

So true, Stefan. Some of the lesser pieces could be used by the Crown Princess and maybe some by P Marie, but hold the majors just for Queen Margrethe!

I agree wholeheartedly. There are major jewels in each of the European Royal collections that are identified with the Queen of the country and these should be left for them.

I agree wholeheartedly. There are major jewels in each of the European Royal collections that are identified with the Queen of the country and these should be left for them.
I agree that it is nice if the Queens and Princesses have "signature piece" which they can be identified with. But imo it's great if there is an additional pool of jewellery which is chared. Like in Sweden: some tiaras are worn exclusively by the Queen, the Baden fringe is only worn by Victoria, other piece are chared between the royal ladies.
For Denmark I would suggest that the Palmette and turquoise tiaras should be shared as well, while the other tiaras are should be only worn by their current wearers.

I am not very keen on the idea of royal jewellery being shared too much across members of the family. I do like the way that in certain countried like the UK and Denmark, specific pieces are identified with specific individuals. One might argue that in the case of the BRF, too few jewels are available to people other than the Queen, but that, IMO, is a separate debate.

I was looking for photos of Queen Alexandrine's sapphire parure, of which the brooch was worn by Princess Marie on a chain as a pendant during the New Years' celebrations. One of my tiara books said QM owns this parure now, or does she only own a part of it? Does anyone have a picture of the original parure?

I found this website Sapphire Royal Jewels for September | The Royal Universe which says:
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark has, in her private collection, a necklace of sapphires and diamonds which was a wedding gift to her grandmother, Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, when she married Christian X. This necklace is said to have a Russian origin.
and contains the following photo http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2007/07/13/margrethe-queen-sweden-cp-2940098.jpg . I can't wait to see which daughter-in-law gets to wear it.

Is it possible that this necklace was once part of the one that held the Queen Alexandrine sapphire brooch Queen Margarethe loaned to Princess Marie as a necklace pendant?

Royal TIARA of the Hellenes Greece |Greek royal Jewels
This diamond necklace is a gift of Queen Indrid and orginally belonged to Queen Alexandrine, who wore it with a sapphire corsage. It was made in Russia, and it belonged to her mother Grand Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (née Grand Duchess of Russia). When Queen Alexandrine died, Queen Ingrid cut the long necklace made into two short necklaces. She gave one to her daughter Princess Benedikte of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and one to the other daughter Queen Anne-Marie.

:previous:
The necklace which includes now the sapphires is a different one then the one Queen Alexandrine wore with them. The diaomdond necklace of Queen Alexandrine was splitted in two by Queen Ingrid and one given to Queen Anne-marie and one to Princess Benedikte. And the sapphires where resetted in a different necklace which was given to the then Princess Margrethe.

Last edited by a moderator:
:notworthy: I bow to your supreme web browsing skills! But that necklace doesn't look long enough to split into two necklaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom