The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
You are right, hard as it is to believe. I would think they would want to set up a fund to buy things like this but I guess I'm stuck back in time when building up a collection was an important thing to do. Most seem OK with what they have, or would rather have a Hermes croc bag than to save some history.
I'm glad the old jewelry houses have bought back many things to keep them intact. I guess if I had the dough I would want to buy something royal giving it that cache' and upping the price.
Yes but on the other hand the jewels of Queen Ingrid where also shared between her 3 daughtes. If the same is done with the Jewels Queen Margrethe private owns there will be lesser pieces and at some epoint they have to buy new pieces for the new daughters-in-laws or daughters.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Did the royal collection loose countess Alexandra's tiara ?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Heir Apparent

As far as we are aware, yes it has. Unless handed back to the Queen by the countess, or bequeathed back to the immediate royal family by one of her two boys in the years to come.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

well i think she , Alexandra, should to give the itara to the first boy future wife!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

- Princess Mary received a new tiara at her wedding as a gift (well, it is antique, but a new acquisition). So it seems that she owns it, as it was officially announced that it was a gift from the queen and the prince consort. But it is not a family heirloom.
- Princess Marie got a tiara from the royal family, but at the wedding it was announced that it belongs to the queen. It might be some kind of long-term loan, but no gift.
So to me it looks like the Queen has learned a lesson from the past (the divorce?) and changed the policy for handing out jewellery. She seems to be more careful to keep important jewellery in the family.
I remember reading somewhere that countess Alexandra and the royal family struck an agreement that her tiara would be left to her sons. So the beautiful thing will move away from the main line of the family, but at least it will not be sold. Also the countess does not seem to be the type of person who sells out a royal tiara. As she always took her royals duties very serious, she might take a lot of pride in leaving it to her sons.
Anyway: I can’t find the article where I read this anymore, and don’t know if it was a reliable source. So much is guesswork when it comes to royal jewellery!
As for Princess Elisabeth’s sapphire tiara I only hope that she will leave it to the royal family. But she might leave it to her nieces who are her closest relations. After all this is also guesswork since the are not going to show us her will Well, for the time being I wish her a long and happy life!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Serene Highness

Does anyone have a behind the head shot of the tiara QM wore last night?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Royal Highness

I looks like it was the floral wreath type thingy - made up of a bunch of brooches(?) that goes around her hairstyle.
I don't know what to say about her look except I'm surprised to see her wearing a turquoise brooch.

http://www.ppe-agency.com/
click on the photo to get the gallery, then click on the fourth photo in the second row (CP Frederick & CP Mary with CP Haakon of Norway) for the gallery of the event.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was thinking the same thing about the turquoise brooch. I have never seen it before. Does it have any other matching pieces?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the turquoise brooch. I have never seen it before. Does it have any other matching pieces?
I hope it has friends!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Nobility

http://www.thepeerage.com/101255_001.jpg

Hope it's not posted before...

A photo of a stunning young Margrethe with an extremely beautiful set of jewels.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have it in colar this extrardinary set in emeralds may be seen in castle Rosenberg and may never leave Danemark . They are crown jewels.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
http://www.thepeerage.com/101255_001.jpg

Hope it's not posted before...

A photo of a stunning young Margrethe with an extremely beautiful set of jewels.
Yes they are extremly beautiful Emmeleia. Here is a color photo of QMII wearing the emeral jewles:

Queen margrethe emerald jewels image by fraxales on Photobucket
Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
So to me it looks like the Queen has learned a lesson from the past (the divorce?) and changed the policy for handing out jewellery. She seems to be more careful to keep important jewellery in the family.
She has indeed, but I suppose that back in 1995 noone, least of all HM could imagine what would happen some nine years down the road!
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that countess Alexandra and the royal family struck an agreement that her tiara would be left to her sons. So the beautiful thing will move away from the main line of the family, but at least it will not be sold.

I don't remember seeing anything on print! While it would be a logical outcome, .it's just a tad impractial with one tiara between two daugthers-in-law !
I have always wondered why the RF didn't suggest a compensation for Alexandra in return for the tiara? She won't have much use for it in the future.
Quote:
As for Princess Elisabeth’s sapphire tiara I only hope that she will leave it to the royal family. But she might leave it to her nieces who are her closest relations.

She will leave the jewellery to the main line, if she is very forgiving and generous, however she has no obvious reason to! The nieces are closer to her, but they won't be attending many RF events in the future!

Viv
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

What has she to forgive ???
Old 07-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I would like to know that as well?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Sorry, I took it for granted that you knew:
The way her father and elder brother were sidetracked in connection with the chance of the succession law in 1953!

At the bottomline, the change was the best for the prospects of the Danish monarchy, but it was a bitter process for the prince Knud-line of the family!

Viv
Old 07-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
The way her father and elder brother were sidetracked in connection with the chance of the succession law in 1953!

At the bottomline, the change was the best for the prospects of the Danish monarchy, but it was a bitter process for the prince Knud-line of the family!

Viv
I think there has always been a sore spot with how they were treated during the years since the succession change. QEII's cousins and children are so much a part of the British royal life and events, this is something we can all learn from.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
I was wondering if that was what you were thinking about
Do you think this still is a problem? After all it is 56 years ago. I don't hope for her that this is an issue for bitterness so many years after.

And honestly I really don't think so . But the tiara might go to a niece of hers anyway for reasons......such as nearness and love.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Do you think this still is a problem? After all it is 56 years ago. I don't hope for her that this is an issue for bitterness so many years after. .
Whatever Princess Elisabeth thinks and feels about the matter today, she has no apparent reason to bequeath her private jewellery to her cousins in the main line of the family; jewellery, some of which could possibly fetch a substatial sum at at an international auction because of its Russian IF provenance.

However should she decide to bequeath i.e. her sapphire tiara to the main line, she will have her private reasons for doing so! IMO a good reason would be that the tiara remains in Denmark rather than ending up with the wife of some instant oil millionaire in the proverbial Timbuktu!

The obvious choice would be to bequeath it to one of her three nieces. But as mentioned earlier, they won't find much use for tiaras in the future: To prove my point, they weren't invited to cousin Fred's wedding (well, they were at the cathedral, but not at the dinner-dance at Fredensborg) and none of them were invited to the recent wedding of Prince Joachim!

Viv
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I think there has always been a sore spot with how they were treated during the years since the succession changes. QEII's cousins and children are so much a part of the British royal life and events, this is something we can all learn from.
Indeed! Outwardly the children of Prince Knud have always been reasonably loyal to the main line, trying to keep up appearances, dusting off their finery when they got the odd invitation to some RF event.

However I remember that several years ago one of the brothers - Christian if I remember correctly - admitted in an interview that the relationship between the King Frederik and his brother had suffered after 1953.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
QEII's cousins and children are so much a part of the British royal life and events, this is something we can all learn from.
Prince and Princess Michael being the exception to the rule ??

Viv

Tags
jewellery, margrethe, queen margrethe