The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I must say, although I love Queen Margrethe dearly, those poppies... Those poppies need to go. Permanently. Without a chance of return. Ever.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Hopefully she won't be taking them to any of the upcoming diamond jubilee celebrations for HM. But then again, we never know.... Lol :)

Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

I never liked the poppies I would rather see her in a different piece but the poppies.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish girl View Post
According to the paper edition of BT the Queen has been given a new tiara from Greenland's parliament, Greenlandic Government and five private companies.

It is not finished yet, but will be made from 200 flowers of Greenlandic gold and diamonds. The Queen herself will be involved in deciding on the look of the tiara that is being made by goldsmith Nicolai Appel.
It should be finished in March.
Quoting myself here...

It's late April now. Has anyone heard more about this tiara?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Margarethe at Queen Elizabeth II's banquet wearing her gorgeous sapphires

http://i47.tinypic.com/ofsgox.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2dsvm9.jpg
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank heaven she opted for sapphires rather than poppies, and how beautiful they are. It looks like she's wearing a jeweled ornament in her hair, too.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Majesty

here is a good close up of earings and brosches but also diamond reviere and baden tiara

and a pearlnecklace with the pearl tiara

emerald set
Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Aristocracy

Well here is the new tiara: Dronningen fik grønlandsk guldgave - Nationalt | www.b.dk

Not my idea of beauty, but I will wait until I see it on to judge.

Melted coins and rubies

Queen's new tiara weighs about a quarter kilogram and consists of melted gold coins and diamonds and rubies, all of Greenlandic origin. Nicolai Appel is a goldsmith and the man behind the DKK 300,000 work. He likes that the materials have a background.

- Ordinary gold may seem a bit like particleboard. We do not know what the plate is put together by. The gold for this tiara has its own history, says Nicolai Appel to b.dk.

- It comes from the mine in Kirkespirdalen in South Greenland. There was made coins in connection with the International Polar Year, which went from first March 2007 to 1 March 2009. The motif was a little polar bear, says Appel.

May be divided into five brooches

- Some of the coins have since remained in the vaults. I had such a good dialogue with the National Bank. They thought it was a good idea to use some of them to the Queen's jewelery. When you now have gold from Greenland's mines, why not use it?, Says Nicolai Appel.

The piece may also be divided into five pins. The motifs are impressions of Greenland flowers and other plants. It all comes in a box, designed by Ina Rosing in cooperation with the cabinetmaker Rasmus Fenhann. The gift is sponsored by the Greenland government and home rule, and five companies with relations to the Greenlandic business.

More pictures:
http://sermitsiaq.ag/node/128433
Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

wow,a lot of gold and poppies! i gues she loves poppies! stunning piece!!! i wonder how heavy uis to carry it?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure what's my opinion of the tiara.
With the right gown and hairstyle it has the potential to look quite stunning.
For some reason though, I can image Princess Mary wearing this tiara - but not Queen Margrethe.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Melted rubies? Or why don't I see any rubies on the design? I thought you couldn't melt rubies very easily at least. It looks like Golden Poppies number II. Lovely design but not sure I like it like that.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Royal Highness

I think I like this new tiara - love that it is made of gold from Greenland and depicts Greenlandic flowers.

Most of all I love that QMII is adding to the royal house's tiara collection; with tree young granddaughters growing up, the family need to replenish.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

More pictures:
Dronningen modtager diadem af grønlandsk guld - Kongehuset

I don't think the rubies are melted. Just the gold are melted coins.
(Sorry if my english/translation isn't that good)

I don't see the rubies either, but I guess they are there somewhere.

Apparently there are earrings to go with it too.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm going to have to reserve judgment until this tiara is worn; it certainly is a mass of gold and may have possibilities. And there is a picture of Margrethe trying on the dangling earrings; it's in Danish Girl's post.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Nobility

I wonder if this tiara might turn out to be something of a surprise and, with the right gown, shine a little...?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

It's a magnificent tiara and an imaginative, clever way to use gold. I am sure Margrethe loves it because it is an unusual design being bright and bold and will be a "suitable" alternative to the golden poppy jewellery.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Gentry

I'd say it's a small step above the Poppies by simply not being a UHO (Unidentifiable Head Ornament). Still, I'll wait until it's worn before giving it my full judgement.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I think I like this new tiara - love that it is made of gold from Greenland and depicts Greenlandic flowers.

Most of all I love that QMII is adding to the royal house's tiara collection; with tree young granddaughters growing up, the family need to replenish.
Me too! The Swedes have a 'cut steel' tiara, so why shouldn't the Danes have a 'cut gold' tiara

I think it is quite lovely. Something special.

I should hope that this tiara will one day be left to the crown foundation and not so Mary can wear it in particular, but so that it stays within the main branch of the family for each generation to come.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I miss the art deco jewelry period. This reminds me of all the other tiaras that are rather "new". Not enough funds to make it really special. Not that the goldwork isn't beautiful, I can see wearing a couple of the brooches but not my idea of a tiara!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

It's a slight improvement over the Poppies, but not by much. And the fact that it can be broken into five brooches screams 'head ornament' to me. She probably will at some point wear the brooches in her hair. I just hope she doesn't wear the two pieces togethor!

Tags
jewellery, margrethe, queen margrethe