Queen Máxima Jewels 1: 2013 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are STATEMENT necklaces in the true sense of the meaning!! She's the only royal who gets away with such items.

She is so tall and Beautiful she can wear anything...and i love her for being natural..she is not plastic like some others....

Serious diamonds yes, but still very simple and elegant. I much prefer jewellery like this on Queen Maxima than some of the modern costume jewellery she wears.

Serious diamonds yes, but still very simple and elegant. I much prefer jewellery like this on Queen Maxima than some of the modern costume jewellery she wears.

She does not really wear costume jewelry. Costume jewelry = make-believe jewelry. Wearing glass beads looking like diamonds or sapphires. Yes, she has worn wooden necklaces, copper pendants, enamel broches, feathery bijoux and polyester earrings but they are exactly what they are: wood, copper, enamel, feathers and polyester. She is not wearing paste rubies or plastic pearls.

Costume jewelry is what you see whan an actress in a play or a singer in an opera wear a "diamond" parure, in reality all paste. So it is a matter of definition what costume jewelry is. This week Queen Máxima wore a grey coat with applications, but that is not really jewelry: it are applications to textile.

She does not really wear costume jewelry. Costume jewelry = make-believe jewelry. Wearing glass beads looking like diamonds or sapphires. Yes, she has worn wooden necklaces, copper pendants, enamel broches, feathery bijoux and polyester earrings but they are exactly what they are: wood, copper, enamel, feathers and polyester. She is not wearing paste rubies or plastic pearls.

Costume jewelry is what you see whan an actress in a play or a singer in an opera wear a "diamond" parure, in reality all paste. So it is a matter of definition what costume jewelry is. This week Queen Máxima wore a grey coat with applications, but that is not really jewelry: it are applications to textile.

I would have to disagree with you, costume jewellery is an item of jewellery made of inexpensive materials or jewellery worn as a fashion item. These can include imitation jewellery such as you mention in your post but also include pieces made from inexpensive materials such as beads, plastic, wood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costume_jewelry

I would have to disagree with you, costume jewellery is an item of jewellery made of inexpensive materials or jewellery worn as a fashion item. These can include imitation jewellery such as you mention in your post but also include pieces made from inexpensive materials such as beads, plastic, wood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costume_jewelry

It is Wikipedia... I disagree with it. An actress depicting Elizabeth I on stage wears costume jewelry, that means plastic "pearls" and glass "rubies". The word "costume" already reveals that it is meant for show.

But Queen Máxima is not pretending: what you see is what you get. She is not wearing a collier with glass beads pretending to be expensive diamonds.

What you see is what you get: delftware and gold in a collier (by Pauline Wiertz, the Netherlands) paired with Cartier golden earrings.

What you see is what you get: polished goldpainted wood, leather and lucite (by Gerda and Nikolaï Monies, Denmark)

What you see is what you get
: a double golden chain with malachite, carnelian, mother of pearl, tiger eye (by Van Cleef & Arpels, Paris)

You will be shocked to see the prize tag attached to these bijoux, (the last one around 30.000 USD!). No any of these jewels pretend anything else than what they are showing and therefore I have some problems with the term "costume jewelry" (= plastic tiaras).

:flowers:

thanks duke for the 'what you see is what you get' demonstration. maxima is one you can count on to show us how jewelry is done. i had no doubts ever since i saw her wearing this beauty. she really does not shy away from anything! well done to her. those amazing pieces need to be used!

is this necklace the same one that can be worn as a tiara?

Last edited:
What Max wears is more 'fashion jewelry' then costume. Both are made out of cheaper materials meant to be more affordable for buyers. Where costume jewelry is meant to imitate real jewels, fashion jewelry is not. While it may include less precious gems, they aren't meant to imitate real pieces. This is where you find the copper, wood, metal and even plastic jewelry. Some are quite cheap like kid's pieces, and others as we have seen with Maxima, can be quite expensive.

is this necklace the same one that can be worn as a tiara?

It looks like it is.

I think it is not the same actually. The diamonds worn in Germany seem to have a simular size while the ones in the bandeau -which can also be worn as a necklace- have various sizes. I think the necklace in Munich is the upper part of the triangular motive necklace:

I think it is not the same actually. The diamonds worn in Germany seem to have a simular size while the ones in the bandeau -which can also be worn as a necklace- have various sizes. I think the necklace in Munich is the upper part of the triangular motive necklace:

I agree. I think the diamonds in the Bandeau are more or less permanently set in a monture. The matching rivière is almost mirroring the Bandeau: picture.

I would not mind to see the beautiful big diamonds of the bandeau worn as a rivière: the effect must be awesome.

The brooch is amazing. She is lucky because this royal family has impressive pieces of jewelry

I don't know who many diamond rivieres the Dutch RF has, but I think it's more than one. The one she wore in Munich has amazing large stones, though I think that there's also one with smaller diamonds. The big one looks stunning in combination with the bandeau. Maxima also wore the combination at the gala before the inauguration, only that she had pendent attached to the necklace.

Four rivières at least, the bandeau included:
- the bandeau of old rose-cut diamonds (picture)
- the diamond rivière given to Queen Emma (picture)
- the diamond rivière from the feestoon collier given to Princess Wilhelmina (picture)
- a regular diamond rivière or more: a solitaire, of 'normal' sized diamonds (picture)

Last edited:
The Dutch royal family has a fabulous collection of natural pearls. Some of these are worn by Orange-Nassau ladies for more than three centuries.

Queen Máxima has been seen with a modern looking collier of big same-sized pearls. I thought it was a new one, but 40 years ago Queen Juliana wore this pearl collier, which looks the same to me?

They are not the same, Duc. Queen Juliana is wearing the historic pearls, while Queen Máxima is wearing her own necklace with culured (South Sea?) pearls and a diamond ball-clasp.

It must be the lighting why the pearls worn by Queen Juliana seem same-sized silver-white pearls. On Queen Beatrix it clearly are differently sized crème-coloured pearls:

Pic 1 (click once or twice for XXL)

Pic 2 (click once or twice for XXL)

It must be the lighting why the pearls worn by Queen Juliana seem same-sized silver-white pearls. On Queen Beatrix it clearly are differently sized crème-coloured pearls:

Pic 1 (click once or twice for XXL)

Pic 2 (click once or twice for XXL)

Yes it is the lighting, you can tell from the colours of the sash and the gold of the order.

Maxima wore a honking great big pair of solitaire earrings yesterday at the service of Rememberce

I love this design but I think it looks better on Laurentien than Max

Some seriously beautiful rubies were gracing Queen Máxima at the Corps Diplomatique Reception at the Royal palace in Amsterdam last night.

Wonderful picture on this link.
The poster (Gert-Jan), managed to catch the sparkle very well!

Some seriously beautiful rubies were gracing Queen Máxima at the Corps Diplomatique Reception at the Royal palace in Amsterdam last night.

The Mellerio ruby tiara is impressive, but I must say I dislike its design. It is fast becoming one of Maxima"s favorite tiaras though.

Last edited:
The Mellerio ruby tiara is impressive, but I must I dislike its design. It is fast becoming one of Maxima"s favorite tiaras though.

I think the tiara works very well for Maxima.

Not quite convinced about the brooch and pendant, but well done to Maxima for playing around in the vaults and altering the jewels yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom