The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Majesty

The diadem, the necklace, the big brooch, the small brooch and a pair of earrings connected to this parure have been seen on Queen Juliana, Princess Irene, Queen Beatrix, Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme and Queen Máxima. That seems to indicate that the cassette with this set indeed is part of the Orange-Nassau Foundation. For sure is that the jewels are not lost, as we can see now.

The statutes of the Orange-Nassau Foundations have as principle: "to provide the descendants of H.M. Queen Wilhelmina, Princess of Orange-Nassau all the means which are neccessary for the execution of the royal dignity."

That is a possible reason why we do not see the Guillermo and Van Vollenhoven ladies with these glittering treasures, but we do see the Bourbon-Parma descendants of Wilhelmina with jewels: so now and then they indeed "execute the royal dignity".

Old 02-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
i think it will looks too much maybe the version that princess irene wore it without the base would look much better and not over the top .
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
What a surprise,I'm not a fan of it but it is great to see it still in the family and not sold off!
The diadem has an awesome sparkle on tv. I bet the necklace even more. It is completely detachable. The base can be worn as a diamond-and-rubies collier, with or without the central airgrette. The swirls can be removed and worn as a two large brooches, or as a central corsage, or as haircombs. It is a mystery why all the ladies "overlooked" this piece of master-craftmanship.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How did it go back to the main line of the family then ? If it was owned by Princess Irene, did she sell it back to Queen Beatrix or King Willem-Alexander ?

I understand there is no way to know that for sure, but I'm just curious.
I think the parure was bought back from Irene by Beatrix or Max in the last decade or so. The tiara reemergedcin 2010, th the necklace only now.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Majesty

2009. Max wore it to the Swedish state visit in May 2009. But things likevthecearringsvand brooch had been seen earlier.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Majesty

A Ruby Surprise from Queen Maxima | The Court Jeweller

A very beautiful necklace. The next surprise should be the Stuart parure hopefully.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

What a lovely surprise, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the collier. I'm thrilled to pieces, the Peacock Parure is a favorite of mine. It's my preference I know, but the pieces are gorgeous.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
A Ruby Surprise from Queen Maxima | The Court Jeweller

A very beautiful necklace. The next surprise should be the Stuart parure hopefully.
The tiara hasn't been worn. But the Stuart brooch has been, in its smaller forms. Both maxima and Laurentien have worn it in the last years.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The necklace was presented to Irene by her mother. I do not believe the necklace, or other bits of the parure, are owned by the foundation.
The entire parure was not presented to Princess Irene by her mother but by her grandmother Queen Wilhelmina...And to be more precise,Wilhelmina presented Irene with the baubles on Beatrix's 18th birthday...who ofcourse at first thought it would be a present for her,but no...A Princess could do with a lesson in modesty according to Wilhelmina at the time...

Queen Juliana only wore some pieces on loan from her mother,like on her Inauguration in 1948 when she too wore the necklace.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Majesty

El Excelentísimo Señor Don José María Ruiz de Arana y Baüer, XVI Duque de Baena, XIV Marqués de Villamanrique, Gentilhombre Grande de España (1893-1985) was Ambassador of Spain in The Hague from 1957 to 1963. In 1967 he wrote about his years in The Hague The Dutch Puzzle. An excerpt from Google Books:

Page 183

It was Princess Beatrix's birthday on January 31st, and her grandmother Wilhelmina had announced her intention to visit Soestdijk Palace for the occasion. All measures were taken so that nothing could displease her. Wilhelmina arrived to join the family party and quite suddenly at tea time produced a present. Now it was, as I stated, the birthday of Princess Beatrix, but the small sized box, wrapped in brown paper, was pushed into the hands of Princess Irene. Everyone was baffled but of course Irene had to accept it. She opened the box and to her joy she saw a splendid parure of rubies and diamonds, worthy of a Queen. There was no doubt about it: the present was meant for Irene and there was nothing for Beatrix. Everyone put on a brave face; Irene was radiant, though somewhat abashed. Beatrix stoically generous in her praise and the others agreed with her. But after Wilhelmina had left, rumour broke out.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Majesty

The rumour which started when the old Queen left was that Princess Beatrix was left without any present, humiliated in front of all attendees, with a baffled Princess Irene finding herself with a magnificent parure in her hands on her sister's birthday.

It is assumed that the parure was given to Princess Irene. But was it a gift into ownership or a loan? In the late 1960's Queen Juliana created several family foundations to keep the estate of her (then late) mother -a single child and heiress- and after herself -a single child and heiress as well- complete and together.

This pro-active policy "robbed" Queen Juliana's four daughters of a the bulk of a gigantic personal inheritance but saved a magnificent historic collection of artworks, archives, inventories, jewels, carriages, estates, etc. from fragmentation and dispersion. That is why Queen Beatrix, King Willem-Alexander and the future Queen Catharina-Amalia have all the means at their disposal "necessary for the execution of the royal dignity" as the statutes of the foundations word it.

How Queen Máxima can wear this parure? Various options:
- it was given to Princess Irene and she decided to donate (?) or sell (?) it back to the Foundation
- Princess Irene maybe did need money after the costly marriage to the Duke of Parma and returned it for part of her parents' inheritance?
- it was never Princess Irene's property but has been collecting dust in the cassettes

The story of the Duke of Baena about the humiliating of the Princess does fit in the impossible character of her grandmother, herself already Queen at the age of 10. Apparently Princess Beatrix did succeed the harsh test: she kept her stiff upperlip, her royal composure and was "happy" for her sister Princess Irene and that magnificent gift. Possibly Queen Wilhelmina wanted to teach her granddaughter a hard lesson, with the best intentions. What can we say? Since then Princess (Queen) Beatrix is known as a lady who managed her royal façade under all circumstances.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The diadem has an awesome sparkle on tv. I bet the necklace even more. It is completely detachable. The base can be worn as a diamond-and-rubies collier, with or without the central airgrette. The swirls can be removed and worn as a two large brooches, or as a central corsage, or as haircombs. It is a mystery why all the ladies "overlooked" this piece of master-craftmanship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the parure was bought back from Irene by Beatrix or Max in the last decade or so. The tiara reemergedcin 2010, th the necklace only now.
I don't believe that the jewels were so much 'overlooked' or bought back at different dates. Of course I can only imagine what happened, but to me it looks like deliberate 'salami tactics'. So they re-introduce this parure in a low-key way. It might be out of courtesy to Princess Irene that they didn't flash it around in one go. But of course we jewels watchers are now eagerly waiting for the Queen to wear the full parure.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The jewels are in a foundation. The foundation has a board that decides on what to do. I suspect they have a -limited- budget for reparations. That is perhaps why we see some changes every x years. Since the necklace has not been worn for 50 years or so, I am sure it needed to be restaured and cleaned.

Very nice to see the necklace. What an unexpected surprise! Let's hope we will see the entire parure together one day.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

If that is so, then I hope that they'll soon find the budget for the Stuart parure.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
If that is so, then I hope that they'll soon find the budget for the Stuart parure.
I have heard/read from Marc ter Linden (well-informed reporter of Royalty Magazine) and Martijn Akkerman (known jewelry expert and jeweller at Steltman Jewellers in The Hague) that the royal jewels are regularly maintenanced. For an example for the big sapphire diadem and the Württemberg Ornate Pearl Diadem visibly new montures were made.

We have seen Queen Máxima with the sapphire collier mounted as a diadem, the big central part of the long not seen Mellerio devant de corsage as an eyepopping broche. The Russian stomacher back in full splendour. The enormous oval sapphire bow brooch back with the large oval sapphire and with the large oval citrine. The other big diamond-and-sapphire sévigné broche was worn on Queen Beatrix National Farewell Evening. The sun-ray motif monture has been used again, the central aigrette of the big sapphire diadem has been made detachable again, the Borneo bracelet has been re-assembled in two separate bracelets, the diadem from the Emerald Parure has been worn in so many different settings, the diamond stars have been used instead of pearl buttons, etc. etc.

So there seem plenty of resources to do this. Look at the créme calèche, the Glass State Carriage, the Golden State Carriage: also all owned by family foundations and all back in supreme splendour for shocking costs. Note that the King has a lavish budget which he can spent when it is seen as "subservient to a proper execution of the kingship and the royal dignity". The theory about a limited budget for the jeweller to clean existing parures, hmmm... seems unlikely to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Juliana wore this very neacklace in 1948 on a much better way.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Queen Juliana wore this very neacklace in 1948 on a much better way.
What do you mean with "a much better way"?
The collier was worn it in the very same setting as last Monday:

Queen Juliana in 1948

Queen Máxima in 2017
Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Same setting but of course aways Maxima's Hairdo.

Mixed brown and blond LONG hair ! The necklace not seen since years deserved better .
Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Majesty

Hm... Ok... But Queen Juliana wore it at her Investiture Ceremony, Queen Máxima at a private audience to the outgoing Bundespräsident. I usually do not like hanging hairs, but here she wore no diadem and the hair was nicely brushed. So all by all a pretty spectacular addition to a very simple dress.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

It is not a reason , her hairdresser is bad and the necklace who is a première since long should be great with less make up and no long hair?
Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Majesty

I find it difficult to say something about the Queen's appearance because it was just a nice diner in small setting, usually we do not even get photos from this sort of farewell-audiences. I like to see Queen Máxima with the hair "up" too but it is in her own house, en cercle amicale. I am already happy she has taken this sparkling collier out of the cassette after 50 years...

Tags
jewels, queen maxima