The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's also been referred to as a lobster, if memory serves me correctly! I actually like the idea of the necklace been worn in that way with various shaped "beads" etc. But having now seen other colour versions of it, I thing the black one looks the best!

Yes lobster is a better description,personally I'd love to see it put way with the Halloween decorations!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week team Member

Queen Maxima in Australia

Images have been cropped (less 20% of originals) and are not subject of copyright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swdsd.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	299600   Click image for larger version

Name:	333.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	299601  

Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Majesty

Fabulous jewels.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Countessmeout;1936581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It are no costume pieces in my humble opinion. After all: you see what you get. Just an orange thing made from unkown materials. It does not pretend to be anything else than that.

Costume pieces are what we can see in the series Victoria: fake diadems, fake colliers, fake breast stars. These pieces pretend to be diamonds but it simply are beads.[/QUOT

Not this discussion again look up the definition. You will find costume jewelry doesnt simply refer to fake jewels. It refers to any jewelry that isn't made from precious materials. Items like plastic and enamel and other materials, wood.

You don't have to like me using the term this way, that's fine, don't have to. But No correction needed

Cheers
It is possible to get this vibe from a necklace made of branch coral - which at least is semi-semi-precious. It may not be everyone's taste, but it has value and some of us like it. Sadly, there are sustainability issues with coral harvesting, though one could make the same argument about wild, natural pearls. There is an argument to be made that costume jewelry can fill a void for natural products we choose to leave undisturbed. I'd admit though, that in the case of the lobster necklace, I think it a fairly garish execution. https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesE/j...CC_DM//5/X.jpg
Old 11-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

A couple of questions, is that emerald ring from the old set? I know the earrings are hers and modern.
Also, I love the citrine earrings, am I correct with the stone? Bracelet is nice too
Old 11-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Majesty

I see Queen Emma's tiara made an outing in NZ after many years
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I see Queen Emma's tiara made an outing in NZ after many years
Yes, Queen Máxima wore it once when she was a princess in 2011 for a visit to Qatar. Princess Beatrix wore this tiara very often so it is nice to see Máxima with it. I think it is very nice on her. Perfect for this occasion and very nice for us as jewelry lovers.

It's so nice she took a tiara with her for a black tie state banquet! She definitely is our girl! Not every queen would do this sadly enough.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Majesty

Dutch Visit to New Zealand: State Dinner in Wellington | The Court Jeweller

Great to see her wear this tiara again. She looks very regal.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Máxima is wearing some serious diamonds,my only criticism is that I'd prefer her hair up when wearing a tiara.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Queen Máxima is wearing some serious diamonds,my only criticism is that I'd prefer her hair up when wearing a tiara.
I totally agree - but with those incredible diamonds and that dress, all can easily be forgiven
Old 11-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Majesty

The floral motif scroll diadem is regarded as a 'small' diadem but... like in all Dutch jewels: those stones have serious carat power!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

The size of the diamonds is quite incredible and indeed there is no need for a huge piece of jewellery when the diamonds are of this calibre!
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Majesty

Many diadems in foreign royal possession look bigger but a closer look learns it often are scrollworks filled with fillegrain diamonds set en pavé. Just low quality gems used as a filling. When you look to this floral motif diamond diadem, the Mellerio ruby parure and other Dutch jewels it often are just serious sized gems, let us say 200 engagement rings each. The estheticism is not always apparent but it is clear that in generations the jewels were carefully chosen and collected together.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

I agree about the diamonds. They are sumptuous indeed. An even more obvious example of a seemingly small tiara with enormous carat power would be the rose cut bandeau.

Maxima wears Queen Emma's tiara very well, even with the loose hair. But a simple up-do would have enhanced the effect of the tiara even better. I also love the brooch, which is well placed on that gorgeous gown.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Majesty

I'm not very fond of the Festoon tiara although I would love to know more about it. I think she has only worn it once.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It has seldom been worn as a tiara, and quite rightly so. Although the diamonds are superb, the design is not the greatest. I would like to see it as a necklace once or twice though. I believe the last time it was worn that way was during the state visit of Queen Beatrix to Britain in the eighties.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I'm not very fond of the Festoon tiara although I would love to know more about it. I think she has only worn it once.
It is a very un-photogenic diadem but the open setting and the size and quality of diamonds are a guarantee for maximum sparkle in real life. I think the lady or gentleman meeting the royal with this festoon diadem will notice the magic sparkle, and not so the simple setting.

Most likely Queen Wilhelmina used these extra montures for smaller evening events. On images from 1962 and 1982, when Princess Beatrix wore this as a collier, it looked veeeeery sparkly on tv. And that is exactly what diamonds are for...

Old 11-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the coral and diamond earrings she wore yesterday with the yellow coat
Old 11-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
You are right, Maxima wore it only once in 2005 at the incoming State Visit from Latvia. Although I prefer the jewel in it's necklace shape, I am thrilled that Maxima tried so many different tiaras in her days as a princess. It's good that she has worn it once, it's also good that she hasn't worn it twice.

Princess Margriet has also worn it as a tiara once, though I don't know the occasion.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
You are right, Maxima wore it only once in 2005 at the incoming State Visit from Latvia. Although I prefer the jewel in it's necklace shape, I am thrilled that Maxima tried so many different tiaras in her days as a princess. It's good that she has worn it once, it's also good that she hasn't worn it twice.
She has also worn it once before probly for the annual Gala Dinner for the Diplomatic Corps when there where no üphotos from this Event. There was i believe on picture of her leaving the Royal Palace in Amersterdam.
I think she should war it as necklace again which she has not so far.

Tags
jewels, queen maxima