The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure if it is Queen Máxima's own pearl collier with large modern pearls or it is the one which was worn by Queen Sophie of the Netherlands née Princess von Württemberg (1818-1877).

The four main differences are:
- Queen Máxima's large pearl collier has a ball pavé set with diamonds
- Queen Sophie's large pearl collier has a clasp with four large rose-cut diamonds
- Queen Máxima's large pearl collier has all pearls with the same colour
- Queen Sophie's large pearl collier has variation on teints per pearl

It is hard to tell -without seeing the clasp- which collier is worn. For sure is that both are worn a fortune.

Queen Máxima is really very inventive with her jewels. Apparently she saw the Ears-of-Wheat diadem and thought... "Well, for a second evening, some of these sparkling ears-of-wheat would do well..."

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yesterday's pearls were graduated in size, very large in the front and much smaller towards the back, like in Queen Sophie's necklace. Her own pearls seem to be all of the same size. So I'd say it was the beautiful old necklace.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
At yesterday's return invitation in Canada Queen Maxima wore three diamond ears-of-wheat brooches in her hair. I believe that these are parts of the ears-of-wheat tiara which she has never worn so far. The hairstyle is far from perfect, imho, but I love how she adds brooches to it.

She also wore the well-known large pearl earings and a necklace of large pearls.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
These jewels are very stunning.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think its the Royal Dutch pearls. Her necklace is one size. These are graduated.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
The only thing I really question is the endless acquisition of gemstone jewelry. Yes, we all love it and wish we could have it, but if she continues to acquire jewelry at her current rate - what will be the point 5 or 10 years from now. At some point, more is just more.

Maybe she secretly sells excess gems off and donates the money to charity. I'd like to hope so, or hope so for the future.
Is she buying new jewelry or is it just stuff that’s been lying in a drawer somewhere for the past 100 yrs... From what I’ve understood the DRF gas a pretty vast collection of jewelry and some of it hasn’t been seen for a long time.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Is she buying new jewelry or is it just stuff that’s been lying in a drawer somewhere for the past 100 yrs... From what I’ve understood the DRF gas a pretty vast collection of jewelry and some of it hasn’t been seen for a long time.
Queen Máxima does add new items to the collections, like Queen Beatrix, Queen Juliana, Queen Wilhelmina, etc. have done before her. Sometimes also elements disappear from the collection, for an example the "unwearable" diamond-and-sapphire diadem from the firm Israël & Hoetig, Amsterdam (1901) which was broken up to make bijoux for the four daughters of Queen Juliana.

The bulk of the most important jewels is safely placed into the ownership and management of a family foundation, so that it remains intact for future generations. The many splendid jewels we see Queen Máxima with, during official events, are mostly from the historic collections.

Queen Máxima has added diamond bracelets, a tutti-frutti demi-parure, diamond-and-citrine jewels, diamond-and-kunzite jewels, a most impressive pearl collier, ancient golden traditional wear as modern bijoux, modern black and grey pearls, bijoux made from jade, from onyx, etc. to the collection. It are -so far- no new diadems, as she has plenty of these ánd is very inventive with it also (as we have seen with disassembling some diamond ears-of-wheat from a diadem and wear it as hair-ornaments).

Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

The King and Queen are wealthy people. If he likes to buy jewels for his wife. Good for them. I thunk she recieves pieces from State visits also. I just enjiy her enthusiasm for glamming it up!!!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
The King and Queen are wealthy people. If he likes to buy jewels for his wife. Good for them. I thunk she recieves pieces from State visits also. I just enjiy her enthusiasm for glamming it up!!!
I am not sure the Dutch royal family accepts jewels from rulers. Sometimes a new necklace or a brooch is attributed to the Gulf States but it has never been proven. I have the idea the personal bijoux worn by Queen Máxima are almost all purchases by herself or given by her spouse, the royal family or her own family.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

At the memorial service for the late Prince Kardam of Bulgaria, Queen Máxima wore nice pearls
Old 06-09-2015, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The pearls were very classy and added that regal touch to H.M. somber outfit .
Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I actually love her these pearl earrings of her own as much as the royal ones she wears. They are so beautiful. And I love that she can change them so many ways.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The pearls were very classy and added that regal touch to H.M. somber outfit .
I agree with you.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Máxima has brought a new surprise. In contrary to what everyone thought, she did NOT use some diamond ears-of-wheat from the diadem in her hair. On the Benelux Royal Jewels forum a poster called Tamara (known from her sharp observations and wide knowledge) has found out that the three diamond ears-of-wheat hairclips worn in Canada (see Tamara's picture) have a total different design with the diamond ears-of-wheat from the diadem.

The ears-of-wheat in Queen Máxima's hair have a different curve and have visible ears (spikes) from the seeds, let me say: the three diamond ears in Queen Máxima's hair were more natural than the diamond ears in the diadem. So Máxima has been digging in the vaults again and found some ears-of-wheat... (I can not imagine she would purchase new ears while she already has a beautiful diamond diadem in that design...)
Old 06-12-2015, 03:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

How exiting. Thanks for sharing. The close up shows different elements indeed. But maybe the smaller ears look different? Or maybe they are new? I can't think why they would have these ears of wheat lying around for decades and nobody has ever worn them as brooches with the tiara.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

On the Benelux Jewels Board it was mentioned that it was known that there were more wheat ears in the Dutch jewel collection. Admittedly I have never heard about it before. But thinking about the amazing size of the Dutch collection it might well be that these wheat ears haven't been noticed before.

My impression is that, when it comes to buying jewels, Queen Maxima prefers contemporary piece. And why buying antique jewels when you already have such a wonderful choice of antique jewels, that come with the added bonus of a family history?

Old 06-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well said Tilia. Im not concerned where they came from Im just glad she keeps us guessing!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
On the Benelux Jewels Board it was mentioned that it was known that there were more wheat ears in the Dutch jewel collection. Admittedly I have never heard about it before. But thinking about the amazing size of the Dutch collection it might well be that these wheat ears haven't been noticed before.

My impression is that, when it comes to buying jewels, Queen Maxima prefers contemporary piece. And why buying antique jewels when you already have such a wonderful choice of antique jewels, that come with the added bonus of a family history?
I guess with a collection this sized, there were bound to be a few things lying around that had not been used for some time. I am sure there are more. Now that the ultimate magpie controls the collection, it is just a question of time before more goodies emerge!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Queen Máxima has brought a new surprise. In contrary to what everyone thought, she did NOT use some diamond ears-of-wheat from the diadem in her hair. On the Benelux Royal Jewels forum a poster called Tamara (known from her sharp observations and wide knowledge) has found out that the three diamond ears-of-wheat hairclips worn in Canada (see Tamara's picture) have a total different design with the diamond ears-of-wheat from the diadem.

The ears-of-wheat in Queen Máxima's hair have a different curve and have visible ears (spikes) from the seeds, let me say: the three diamond ears in Queen Máxima's hair were more natural than the diamond ears in the diadem. So Máxima has been digging in the vaults again and found some ears-of-wheat... (I can not imagine she would purchase new ears while she already has a beautiful diamond diadem in that design...)
Just a thought: do we think these "new" ears of wheat can be put together into a nice necklace?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good idea. There also might be pieces of things that need to be fixed that she has found and had done. She seems to be interested in bringing out diffetent things. Ive said it many times but if I had access to those vaults I would get nothing done in life...!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Diamond ears-of-wheat have been very popular jewels in the past. They simbolize fertility and prosperity and numerous royal and noble ladies had sets of these jewels. They were so widespread that it seems not so astonishing that the former Dutch Queens had more than one set.

That said, I must say that I have never seen that a lady had attempted to turn her ears-of-wheat into a necklace. So that might be a new attempt. However there are several known tiaras which were made out of them. (Eg. Princess Helena of Denmark had one, as well as Princess Mary Adelaide of Teck)

Tags
jewels, queen maxima