Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
In december 2013 IIRC.

Here a photo from that occassion:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541909767633669552/
Many thanks. I do remember seeing them, and the fact that, that we have little information as to their provenance.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I believe that at the time people thought it likely that the necklace was a gift from a ruler from the Middle East or Asia, though nothing has been confirmed. Either for the enthronement or during one of the recent state visits to those regions.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I believe that at the time people thought it likely that the necklace was a gift from a ruler from the Middle East or Asia, though nothing has been confirmed. Either for the enthronement or during one of the recent state visits to those regions.
That's entirely possible, though it could also be something that Maxima bought herself. She is certainly not shy of adding to the royal jewel box.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Majesty

This week Queen Máxima of the Netherlands wore a set of pearls for the New Years Reception: see picture. For me it is always hard to tell which pearl necklace is what. The pearl necklace worn by Queen Máxima this week can not have been ancient pearls because they have a "new lustre" and the round diamond "ball" pendant is modern.

On this picture you see Princess Margriet with old natural saltwater pearls dating from Queen Sophie of the Netherlands born Princess of Württemberg (1818-1877). For me it is strange that a new similar necklace is acquired. Why would one spend money to have "more of the same"? Of course I know that the old pearls from Queen Sophie are dazzling expensive and not in the same league as the modern pearls of Queen Máxima but only an expert will see, I think...

Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 AM
Majesty

To me Maxima's pearls look somehow "on trend" and have a very new, very surface, almost fake looking, lustre to them that seems to compliment the very white diamond ball. The the silvery finish of her gown showcases them to perfection.

On the other hand, Princess Margriet's saltwater pearls have a depth and glow that make them warm and satiny and sit against her skin beautifully. I'd take these any day over Max's new shiney bits.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Maxima first wore the pearls in 2002 when she visited the Baltic states with WA. I suppose they may have been a wedding - or engagement gift.

Picture: here.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Majesty

On the website of the Royal House I found a portrait of Princess Irene with these pearls: http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...8-0065-084.jpg Click on the picture itself to resize to XL.

Interestingly Princess Irene wears it with the clasp on front, showing four large rose-cut diamonds and one large central pearl, all set in gold. Amazing that such large diamonds were used for "just a clasp".

It is true that the new pearl collier by Queen Máxima does not have the "old lustre" of this one but it remains strange that the Queen spends so much on a new collier while there is already an identical (and much better!) one in the collection...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Administrator

It seems that she wore her own pearl necklace today too: photo.

I don't think she has ever worn these big Orange-Nassau pearls yet. I can't remember it.
Large Pearl Necklae
Old 01-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Majesty

Both pearl necklaces are stunning.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Tiaras Queen Maxima wore at royal weddings and celebrations:

Haakon and Mette Marit: 1

Martha Louise and Ari: 1

Frederik and Mary: 1

Victoria and Daniel: 1

Albert and Charlene: 1

Guillaume and Stephanie: 1
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post

Love most of them- except what she wore to A and C's- she looks like she has emeralds growing out of her head.
My favorite- the rubies and diamonds.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post

She really has an impressive collection. I love everyone of them, she wears them so well.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looking foward to State visut to Denmark. I would love to see any of her jewels but I would Really love to see the tutti fruitti necklace and bracelet!!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Majesty

Love these diamond stars she wore in her hair. It's great that she wore something from her wedding tiara on a special day like that.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Looks really pretty- and fun too.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Majesty

The Queen wore the diamond stars quite loose in her hair. See picture. I would have been worried all the time to loose these expensive antique gems!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ha anyone been able to get on Johns wonderful site dutchroyaljewels.nl? The site is down for me.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Ha anyone been able to get on Johns wonderful site dutchroyaljewels.nl? The site is down for me.
You are right, it has been down for a few weeks. Hope it gets back up and running soon, it is a lovely site.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Majesty

John has a lot of wonderful pictures but it is not always clear what was the source of these pictures. Maybe there were problems with copyrighted material. It is also possible that bandwith issues with the provider crashed the site down.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Majesty

Jewels Maxima wore at William and Catherine's wedding:

1 2 3

Those jewels are exquisite. I really love the earrings and necklace. I did not notice she wore the stars on her hat until now.

Tags
jewels, queen maxima