Queen Letizia Jewels: June 2014 - Dec. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
in her Princess days, 3 more tiara events are missing (private occasions):

- her own wedding (Prussian)
- Victoria's wedding (Floral)
- Beatrix's abdication (Floral)

:previous:
in her Princess days, 3 more tiara events are missing (private occasions):

- her own wedding (Prussian)
- Victoria's wedding (Floral)
- Beatrix's abdication (Floral)

last time I'm repeating this, the events I did were for State & Official Visits, not birthdays/inaugurations/other dinners.

As Queen of Spain Letizia has at her disposal the The Fleur de Lys Tiara and also owns the the Ansorena Fleur-de-Lis Tiara,the rest of the Spanish tiaras are her mother in laws.

The Floral Tiara is really beautiful on Letizia and possibly best suits her.

I have mixed feelings on the Prussian Tiara as its owned by Queen Sofia we may not see it for years,it would be a nice starter tiara for Leonor or Sofia in a few years.

Minimal jewels are her preference and we got a small brooch and bracelet,however the Duchess of Braganca outshone the queen of Spain at the Gala Dinner,should be the other way round.

As Queen of Spain Letizia has at her disposal the The Fleur de Lys Tiara and also owns the the Ansorena Fleur-de-Lis Tiara,the rest of the Spanish tiaras are her mother in laws.

The Floral Tiara is really beautiful on Letizia and possibly best suits her.

Sofia owns the Prussian tiara (gift from her mother), and the floral and the Mellerio shell tiara (wedding gifts). The two Cartier tiaras are King Juan Carlos property.

Sofia owns the Prussian tiara (gift from her mother), and the floral and the Mellerio shell tiara (wedding gifts). The two Cartier tiaras are King Juan Carlos property.

The Floral Tiara seems to be Letizia's favourite,perhaps her mother in law will gift it to her.

A discussion in the Tiara & Jewels guessing thread set me off on a path where I compiled a list of all of the tiaras some of the ladies have worn for state (and official visits when called for) visits.

Here is Letizia's. Before becoming Queen, she wore the Prussian Diamond Tiara 12 times, the Mellerio Floral Tiara 5 times, and the Mellerio Shell Tiara once. Since becoming Queen, she's worn the Mellerio Floral Tiara for all three state visits.

I hope we'll see some variance from her in the future. :flowers:

Although it wasn't a state visit, it should be noted that Queen Letizia wore the Ansorena Asturias tiara in Denmark on Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday.

So far, she hasn't worn yet any of the major Spanish diadems such as Queen Ena's pearl and diamond tiara or the large Fleur de Lys.

Queen Letizia wore in Portugal the emerald earrings of Queen Sofia.

The Floral Tiara seems to be Letizia's favourite,perhaps her mother in law will gift it to her.

even if she doesn't, i am sure sofia will pass on most, if not all, the jewels in her possession to letizia (or maybe one gifted to letizia and the other two directly to leonor and sofia). previously, i would have thought she'd give one to letizia, one to elena and one to cristina but given that now cristina is 'persona non grata' i think all will go to letizia, so as not to make distinctions between her daughters. too bad for elena.

even if she doesn't, i am sure sofia will pass on most, if not all, the jewels in her possession to letizia (or maybe one gifted to letizia and the other two directly to leonor and sofia). previously, i would have thought she'd give one to letizia, one to elena and one to cristina but given that now cristina is 'persona non grata' i think all will go to letizia, so as not to make distinctions between her daughters. too bad for elena.

Oh, I am sure, that many of the "smaller" jewels (the more daily jewels and those of a lesser value) will go to Elena and also Christina. However, the "Big Ones" shall go to Letizia or maybe Leonor.
And: it makes sense.

1) Christina won´t be joining State Visits any more. Elena more seldom. Her Childen? I suppose - no. And in case yes, something may be borrowed.

2) Looking at the histoy of the Spanish RF, due to the absence of a Foundation many, many importand jewels have been lost - either completely or at least to the main line. So it is important to keep the most important pieces in the main line. I really really hope (and I am sure), that Queen Sofia will put that into consideration.

Bye Bine

Oh, I am sure, that many of the "smaller" jewels (the more daily jewels and those of a lesser value) will go to Elena and also Christina. However, the "Big Ones" shall go to Letizia or maybe Leonor.
And: it makes sense.

1) Christina won´t be joining State Visits any more. Elena more seldom. Her Childen? I suppose - no. And in case yes, something may be borrowed.

2) Looking at the histoy of the Spanish RF, due to the absence of a Foundation many, many importand jewels have been lost - either completely or at least to the main line. So it is important to keep the most important pieces in the main line. I really really hope (and I am sure), that Queen Sofia will put that into consideration.

Bye Bine

I totally agree with you. The Tiaras and most of the necklaces/earrings (at least the parures should stay in the main line -Letizia&Felipe) I could imagine Leti will borrow a Tiara for a incoming royal state visit if its neccassary. We have seen this during the portugal state visit 2006 when Sofia loand the mellerio shell to her sister in law..
I think it was a mistake of Q Victoria Eugenie to give the Tiaras to her daughters. Yes the Cartier Loop and Cartier Pearls are back in the main line but alot of pieces not longer with the royal family. :ermm::sad:
I really hope Sofia will not give any tiara to her daughters.. :ohmy: But we have seen this on the Countess of Barcelona And the History is often repeated itself..

I think it would be not so hard for Elena to get nothing, she received alot of jewells of her Ex- Husband and of middle east royals:whistling:

Some of the most important jewels inherited from Victoria Eugenia are owned by Juan Carlos ... those jewels, along with others that Queen Sofia received for her wedding and others that have been recovered over the years and have a historical value for the Spanish Crown, must be inherited by King Felipe.

Queen Sofía loves jewelry, she has a large collection, some pieces she has not worn in years, and they are more wearable every day, so her daughters will make good use of them. She also has pieces inherited from Queen Frederica or pieces that are owned by her as the Niarchos rubies, which can inherit her daughters.

Some of the most important jewels inherited from Victoria Eugenia are owned by Juan Carlos ... those jewels, along with others that Queen Sofia received for her wedding and others that have been recovered over the years and have a historical value for the Spanish Crown, must be inherited by King Felipe.

Queen Sofía loves jewelry, she has a large collection, some pieces she has not worn in years, and they are more wearable every day, so her daughters will make good use of them. She also has pieces inherited from Queen Frederica or pieces that are owned by her as the Niarchos rubies, which can inherit her daughters.

i really hope she will give the Niarchos rubies to Letizia or Leonor, Sofia. I really hope most of the jewelry belong to Felipe/Letizia... It would be a shame to give the important pieces to Elena or Cristina. Not just the Tiaras also some of Sofias necklaces like the Ruby, Sapphire or Turquoise

Last edited:
I wonder what will happen to the Prussian Tiara, the most prominent piece that belongs to Queen Sofia personally.

I wonder what will happen to the Prussian Tiara, the most prominent piece that belongs to Queen Sofia personally.

I could imaine this Tiara will stay in the royal family, Letizia/Felipe, the same for the Floral..I could imagine the Cartier Diamond & Pearl Tiara will belong to Cristina.

I could imaine this Tiara will stay in the royal family, Letizia/Felipe, the same for the Floral..I could imagine the Cartier Diamond & Pearl Tiara will belong to Cristina.

Why did you think cristina will get the diamond and pearl tiara? US it because she wore it once to Victoria 's wedding?

Cristina might get some jewels from her mothers ample collection but I would hope that the tiaras are all kept in the royal family and the collection is not broken up after Queen Sofia.

Why did you think cristina will get the diamond and pearl tiara? US it because she wore it once to Victoria 's wedding?

First of all its just a "feeling" But yes also because she wore it at Victorias wedding, and the Tiara already left the main royal family after Q.Victoria Enas death. It seems to be not so imoprtant as the mellerio shell or the floral Tiara... I really hope i wrong..

First of all its just a "feeling" But yes also because she wore it at Victorias wedding, and the Tiara already left the main royal family after Q.Victoria Enas death. It seems to be not so imoprtant as the mellerio shell or the floral Tiara... I really hope i wrong..

I actually think King Juan Carlos bought this tiara back/arranged that it went back to the main line so that it should remain with the main line. Except for the swedish royal wedding in 2010 it was exclusively worn by Queen Sofia.
The mellerio floral tiara was much more shared and also the mellerio shell tiara has been shared a few times for example to Letizia, Infanta Margarita and i think either Elena or Cristina have also worn it once.

I actually think King Juan Carlos bought this tiara back/arranged that it went back to the main line so that it should remain with the main line. Except for the swedish royal wedding in 2010 it was exclusively worn by Queen Sofia.
The mellerio floral tiara was much more shared and also the mellerio shell tiara has been shared a few times for example to Letizia, Infanta Margarita and i think either Elena or Cristina have also worn it once.

Thats correct, the Shell, Floral and Prussian tiaras have been shared between the various family members quite widely. Since it was brought back into the main line, I believe only Queen Sofia has used it, other than once at Victoria & Daniel's wedding when Cristina used it.

Honestly I think the days of tiaras being left to children are likely over. Especially in families like Spain and Belgium where there are few tiaras. Younger siblings are more and more living private lives and have minimal use for tiaras. And their children likely won't. The tiaras stand a chance of being auctioned off that way. I think Sofia will leave her daughter's pieces, like I am sure Elizabeth will, but personal pieces, not tiaras. I am sure Felipe will continue to allow them to borrow even after his parents pass.

Honestly I think the days of tiaras being left to children are likely over. Especially in families like Spain and Belgium where there are few tiaras. Younger siblings are more and more living private lives and have minimal use for tiaras. And their children likely won't. The tiaras stand a chance of being auctioned off that way. I think Sofia will leave her daughter's pieces, like I am sure Elizabeth will, but personal pieces, not tiaras. I am sure Felipe will continue to allow them to borrow even after his parents pass.

I hope you are right it would be a shame if the spanish royal family would lost a Tiara.. We dont know what will happen to the Tiaras and maybe its not Sofia who will give a Tiara to one of the daughters Maybe its JC last will that a Elena get a Tiara.

I hope you are right it would be a shame if the spanish royal family would lost a Tiara.. We dont know what will happen to the Tiaras and maybe its not Sofia who will give a Tiara to one of the daughters Maybe its JC last will that a Elena get a Tiara.

Entirely possible, but JC worked quite hard to help bring some of the tiaras back into the main line, so I doubt he would support dismemberment of the collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom