Queen Letizia Jewels: June 2014 - Dec. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I still think that there is the cost issue. To make a new tiara in the style of eg. floral tiara would be immensely expensive imo. Not only would many more stones be needed. Also it would taken an immense amount of time to manufactue it, and nowadays the cost for skilled labour is so much higher then in the the haydays of formal jewels in the 19the century. Modern Royals in the Western democracies just can't afford that kind of luxury anymore.

Completely agree. You've said it better than I could.

...[snipped]
I suspect that the cost is not a real issue.

To me, the tiara has a very modern feel to it, and drop pearls are just not used much in modern looking jewellery. ... [snipped]
It was just my personal assumption. I for one think that only Grand Duchesses and Empresses from the Romanov family looked good in pearl tiaras. The tiara in question looks budget to me. If cost were not a real issue, it would have been much better to commission a piece from more established jewellers such as Mikimoto, Cartier, or Boucheron.

Last edited:
:previous:But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansorena jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.

Last edited:
Queen Letizia Jewellery: June 2014 -

I'm glad there's less media pressure on her this time around.

Edited: oops! Meant to post this in a different thread and can't delete from my phone. Sorry for random post!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansoren jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.
That might be the case. Ansorena designs do not impress me. Queen Ena's tiara looks all right. This means that Queen Ena had a much finer taste in jewellery.

Last edited:
So, is all the silver I'm seeing in this tiara actually all real diamonds? The tiara doesn't seem to sparkle much.

:previous:But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansoren jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.

Yes, the FDL-Tiara is the only other piece by Ansorena.

I guess I am the only person on this forum that have never liked hats, so you know I hate tiaras. Actually find them a bit odd. To me look fake "one-up-man-ship". I know we Americans see them on Disney shows for the toddlers, but that is fake also, and we, unlike many know they all look fake. Now a proper Royal Complete Crown is brilliant and comes with tons of tradition for it's country, but a tiara, not so much. Seems just a form of formerly accepted caste system. Indicates who is part of an exclusive social group and permitted to wear. The huge ones are just gross [even though worth millions]. Just my old opinion and you all can yell at me all you want. Been there, done that. When you actually see one up close, you will also wonder why, when millions in their countries are jobless and ill, what good those tiaras are doing. I know tradition, but who in the world started?

Last edited:
I think she looked stunning in her new tiara. Today's younger queens I feel would not really wear the BIGGGGG Bling until they are a little older. Maxima can pull it off now, but that is Max and that is why we love her. I think wearing age appropriate jewels have different levels of when they appear on any queen or princess.

I guess I am the only person on this forum that have never liked hats, so you know I hate tiaras. Actually find them a bit odd. To me look fake "one-up-man-ship". I know we Americans see them on Disney shows for the toddlers, but that is fake also, and we, unlike many know they all look fake. Now a proper Royal Complete Crown is brilliant and comes with tons of tradition for it's country, but a tiara, not so much. Seems just a form of formerly accepted caste system. Indicates who is part of an exclusive social group and permitted to wear. The huge ones are just gross [even though worth millions]. Just my old opinion and you all can yell at me all you want. Been there, done that. When you actually see one up close, you will also wonder why, when millions in their countries are jobless and ill, what good those tiaras are doing. I know tradition, but who in the world started?

A diadem has nothing to do with a royal status. When you own one and are willing to wear it, it is perfectly free to do so. The real stuff however is expensive and, until the industralization and the development of modern economies, wealth was almost synonymous with aristocracy and royalty, the landowning upper-class. They were the ones who could afford big jewels and thanks to generations of precize distribution of inheritances, often still have these items.

A lady like the Argentinean-born Queen Máxima of the Netherlands happens to be married into a rich, reigning royal family and is confronted with a collection of awesome diamonds, pearls, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, whatever. She is also confronted with fantastic gold-, silver- and crystalware. With paintings, sculptures and other forms of artwork. With an enormous library and archives, even containing works, poems or music pieces written by the most famous of their time, specially for her husband's ancestors. It varies from a music piece written by the young Mozart for an Orange-Nassau Princess to a medieaeval handwritten and immensely beautiful illustrated Bible, from diamond-encrusted fans to complete treasure rooms holding gifts by inland princes from areas which once were colonies.

And Queen Máxima can do nothing. She can not sell these prizeless items. All of these have been placed in family foundations to preserve its best possible existence and for use by generations of Orange-Nassaus to come. What should she do? Leave all those fabulous items collecting dust? Not use the fantastic collection of ancient tableware, not use the carriages at their disposal, leave the diamond jewels in the cassettes? Rent the chairs from a catering company rather than using the hundreds of 19th C empire chairs from the own collection? Use the daily royal car for ceremonies and leave those fabulous carriages covered under a protective wrap inside the royal stables?

No, she decides to make good use of all this. Like Queen Margrethe II does. Like other Queens do (not all of them have such means at their disposal). It is also part of the "theatre of state" which is an important element of nation-binding and showing pride in one's background and history. It is exactly the same like the President in my country using carefully restored buildings, everything he (and the State of France) has at his disposal to show an almost royal court in a republican state. (The same happens in Italy, in Portugal, etc.). See this picture. You essentially say that someone like Queen Letizia should not wear a diadem or follow a dresscode (like hats and globes). Look at these historic jewels of a Queen Máxima or a Queen Silvia. They can not sell it. They can not donate it. They can not break it up. They can only decide to wear it or to leave it in the cassettes and so will their successors...

:flowers:

Last edited:
Those are really pretty pearl and diamone earrings on Letizia.

On the other subject. Letizia did wear the bigger jewels at first and I miss it. Selling jewels for a fraction of what there worth to go into some countrys charity fund is crazy to me. Who deserves more?I am newly divorced and went to sell some pieces.(no they are not royal) and decided to just keep and wear and enjoy when I saw what they would give you. I say. Enjoy and let us lay people enjoy the pomp and the history.IMO of course.

On the other subject. Letizia did wear the bigger jewels at first and I miss it. Selling jewels for a fraction of what there worth to go into some countrys charity fund is crazy to me. Who deserves more?I am newly divorced and went to sell some pieces.(no they are not royal) and decided to just keep and wear and enjoy when I saw what they would give you. I say. Enjoy and let us lay people enjoy the pomp and the history.IMO of course.

The difference with jewels which come with a royal/noble provenance is that these often go waaay over the top at auctions. When the Orange-Nassaus sell the Stuart Diamond (around 40 carat), they will not only get a prize based on the intrinsic value of that diamond but for sure also because of the centuries-long proved provenance: it is in their family since 1690. The original invoice for the purchase in 1690 is still in the family's archives... (see: http://www.crown-art.com/assets/images/MaryIIbk1.jpg) That original invoice alone, together with the diamond, will super-boost the prize at an auction.

That is the biggest difference with "normal" gemstones sold by "normal" people like you and me. We will only get a fraction of that prize indeed. When Queen Letizia would sell her new diadem, she will not get a very big prize: it lacks anything special and it's only value seems the -very limited- royal provenance, which started in Copenhagen, last week. When she would sell the big historic whoppers, she will get a good prize.

Last edited:
I love the new pearl earrings, a great modern take on something that is traditionally worn. They suit Letitia very well with her sleek looks.

I guess I am the only person on this forum that have never liked hats, so you know I hate tiaras. Actually find them a bit odd. To me look fake "one-up-man-ship". I know we Americans see them on Disney shows for the toddlers, but that is fake also, and we, unlike many know they all look fake.
Tiaras are beautiful, magnificent, lessons in history . . . to me. But then again, I adore hats and have more than a few stashed in the closet. Much as I do not understand how anyone could not like them, many do and that is perfectly all right too.

Now a proper Royal Complete Crown is brilliant and comes with tons of tradition for it's country, but a tiara, not so much. Seems just a form of formerly accepted caste system. Indicates who is part of an exclusive social group and permitted to wear. The huge ones are just gross [even though worth millions].
I agree that a royal crown with all its history is emblematic of its monarchy and thus, it's country. To imply that a tiara invokes images of innate colonialism, aparthied, even slavery, is pushing the bounds a tad. A tiara is just a tiara, and often a national treasure or, in the case of Queen Margrethe's Poppies . . . unappealing. I have never seen one that was actually gross.

Just my old opinion and you all can yell at me all you want. Been there, done that. When you actually see one up close, you will also wonder why, when millions in their countries are jobless and ill, what good those tiaras are doing. I know tradition, but who in the world started?
Why would anyone want to yell at you? Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I do not agree with it, but that is a valid opinion as well.

However, when you attempt to use the quasi-political moral high ground as a club to beat people with a differing opinion, then yes, I have a problem with that. You could sell every item of historical royal jewel, furniture, art and property, and still not make a dent in poverty. But then selling the history of a country is counterproductive.

Me? I love to see those glittering pieces of sheer beauty, in many cases the property of the nation, worn proudly and in the public eye, knowing that should they go on the block at Sotheby's or some such other reputable auction house, there is more than an 80% chance it will end up in the vault of a private collector, purchased by a faceless multi-billionaire and forever lost to the nation and the world.

Queen Letizia's new tiara did not break the bank, or created a national depression. Rather, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Spanish were proud to see their Queen representing them on the international scene with elegance and flair.

Last edited:
I love the new pearl earrings, a great modern take on something that is traditionally worn. They suit Letitia very well with her sleek looks.
l
Letizia'so tiara was probably the least expensive at the birthday celebration but she carried it beautifully.

A diadem has nothing to do with a royal status. When you own one and are willing to wear it, it is perfectly free to do so. The real stuff however is expensive and, until the industralization and the development of modern economies, wealth was almost synonymous with aristocracy and royalty, the landowning upper-class. They were the ones who could afford big jewels and thanks to generations of precize distribution of inheritances, often still have these items.

A lady like the Argentinean-born Queen Máxima of the Netherlands happens to be married into a rich, reigning royal family and is confronted with a collection of awesome diamonds, pearls, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, whatever. She is also confronted with fantastic gold-, silver- and crystalware. With paintings, sculptures and other forms of artwork. With an enormous library and archives, even containing works, poems or music pieces written by the most famous of their time, specially for her husband's ancestors. It varies from a music piece written by the young Mozart for an Orange-Nassau Princess to a medieaeval handwritten and immensely beautiful illustrated Bible, from diamond-encrusted fans to complete treasure rooms holding gifts by inland princes from areas which once were colonies.

And Queen Máxima can do nothing. She can not sell these prizeless items. All of these have been placed in family foundations to preserve its best possible existence and for use by generations of Orange-Nassaus to come. What should she do? Leave all those fabulous items collecting dust? Not use the fantastic collection of ancient tableware, not use the carriages at their disposal, leave the diamond jewels in the cassettes? Rent the chairs from a catering company rather than using the hundreds of 19th C empire chairs from the own collection? Use the daily royal car for ceremonies and leave those fabulous carriages covered under a protective wrap inside the royal stables?

No, she decides to make good use of all this. Like Queen Margrethe II does. Like other Queens do (not all of them have such means at their disposal). It is also part of the "theatre of state" which is an important element of nation-binding and showing pride in one's background and history. It is exactly the same like the President in my country using carefully restored buildings, everything he (and the State of France) has at his disposal to show an almost royal court in a republican state. (The same happens in Italy, in Portugal, etc.). See this picture. You essentially say that someone like Queen Letizia should not wear a diadem or follow a dresscode (like hats and globes). Look at these historic jewels of a Queen Máxima or a Queen Silvia. They can not sell it. They can not donate it. They can not break it up. They can only decide to wear it or to leave it in the cassettes and so will their successors...

Applause! Here! Here! :)

A little history about how we learned about this new tiara:

On Aug 28, 2010, EL MUNDO published the first article about the mysterious new tiara. They called it a fifth anniversary present of Felipe and they knew that the first idea of making this tiara came from Ansorena jewelers. EL MUNDO only knew that it was made of diamonds and 10 pearls. Also they speculated that Letizia had meant to debut the tiara at CP Victoria’s wedding but changed that plan due to the economic situation.

The journalist speculated about the cost for the tiara:
“Es difícil estimar su valor, pero se calcula en varios miles de euros pues, dependiendo de las gemas que la adornen, podría costar desde 50.000 euros.”
My translation: “It is difficult to estimate its value, but one can calculate several thousands of euros, depending on the gemstones which adorn it, it could cost from 50000 euros onwards.” (To the Spanish members: please correct me if the translation is wrong!)

On Sep 13, 2010 journalist Maria Angeles Alcazar told in a tv interview that the stones, especially the pearls were taken from unused family jewels.

Later in Sep 2010 the first pics were published in a mag (I had found scans online but sadly don’t know which mag it was). They also had interviewed the Ansorena jewelers.

That article stated that the tiara was delivered to the palace in 2006. They quote the Ansorena owners: “La tiara no fue encarga por don Felipe de Borbón. La idea partió de nuestro padre, que lo decidió el mismo día en el que se casaron los príncipes.” (my translation: The tiara was not ordered by don Felipe de Borbón. The idea comes from our father, who decided it on the wedding day of the Prince and Princess.)

There is no more mention to the use of old gemstones, instead they say that the pearls were chosen among 3.000 gems. Also there is no mention of the costs of said tiara. Imo, the article carefully avoids clarifying whose gift the tiara was. They mention that Prince Felipe was involved and also make it clear that it was Ansorena’s idea. Thus they studiously leave the question open. Probably because the court has no interest in putting the cards on the table: spending a lot of money on the jewel will lead to criticism while accepting lavish gifts will do the same. Not answering the question seems like the best strategy.

After the Queen has debuted the tiara at Queen Margrethe’s birthday it was several times repeated that the tiara is worth 50.000 euros. But is it? Or are they just taking the vague speculation from EL MUNDO’s first article and state as fact what has started as a mere guess?

Last edited:
50.000 Euro's for thát little Disney Princess thing???? No way.

This diamond-and-ruby parure was sold for € 43.425,--

This 19th C diamond diadem was sold for € 23.724,--

This platinum and diamond diadem was sold for € 23.503,--

This floral motif diamond diadem was sold for € 36.252,--

My estimate on Doña Letizia's new diadem is between € 7.000,-- and € 10.000,--, based on the facts that there are only teeny-weeny-peeny little miniscule diamonds used to fill the scrollwork, almost looking like zirconias.

That "big" means something is proven when you look at the prices of rivières. In Stockholm Queen Máxima wore two diamond rivières. Especially the one worn as a diadem has awesomely big stones. Now the heirs of the late Mary Innes-Kerr née Crewe-Milnes, Duchess of Roxburghe, sell her diamond rivière and Sotheby's estimates it at € 500.000,-- ( http://www.sothebys.com/es/auctions/ecatalogue/2008/magnificent-jewels-ge0805/lot.427.html )but this sort of jewels always go over the top. We can easily say that in Stockholm Queen Máxima wore more than 1 million worth of diamonds, in just two simple rows, one on her head and one around her neck.

Queen Letizia's newest diadem is really not € 50.000,--. The pearls also are too round and too white (and too glued on spikes) to be expensive natural orient pearls. Most likely the amount is an attempt to sensationalize things up or to provoke public opinion to rage against the "money-swallowing" royals.

Last edited:
My estimate on Doña Letizia's new diadem is between € 7.000,-- and € 10.000,--, based on the facts that there are only teeny-weeny-peeny little miniscule diamonds used to fill the scrollwork, almost looking like zirconias.

Love the "teeny-weeny-peeny". :p The "teeny-weeny-peeny little minuscule". I have some jewelry pieces to which that description would apply. ;)

In Stockholm Queen Máxima wore two diamond rivières. Especially the one worn as a diadem has awesomely big stones.

I very much like these pieces. :flowers: To my mind, this is the way a modern royal should wear a 'tiara', as a head-band sort of arrangement. Makes the most sense with today's hair-styles. Tiaras of the old kind are a bit antique, from another time and different hair. Back then, in 'olden times', from a distance, the royal personages could not be mistaken as they walked amongst the crowds when they wore their tiaras. Now? We pretty much know who's who.

Last edited:
The CEO of Ansorena, Jaime Mato, confirms the story that they created and designed the Princess Tiara, showed it to Felipe, he bought it and gave it to Letizia on the occasion of their 5th wedding anniversary.

Mato also confirms that they are already thinking of creating and designing a tiara for Leonor as future heiress out of white gold, diamonds and aquamarines.

“Oro blanco, diamantes y aguamarinas”, los elementos de una tiara para la princesa Leonor

I would never expect, that I only would pay 7.000-10.000 €, if I would buy the tiara at a jeweller. This mainly is the amount for the pure handcraft and maybe the white gold.

So either this is a "super friendship price" - a kind of advertising for the jeweler house ---- or the diamonds and pearls indeed came from the palace itself. Or the "price" is pure mystery.
BYe Bine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom