Queen Letizia Jewels: June 2014 - Dec. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is the Queen. She has access to all major diadems in the Spanish royal collection.

Most of the SRF tiaras are privately owned by Queen Sofia, so apart from the large Fleur-de-Lys tiara, she has to borrow the rest.

I am not sure that all tiaras are privately owned by Sofia, most of them may be private property of Sofia or JC but will be used by the King's family.

If there is one tiara that is truly private property of Sofia it's the Prussian tiara, but I do think that it will remain with the King's family as well. It was Queen Letizia's wedding tiara after all, and it may pass directly to Leonor.

Victoria Marichalar could wear her father's family tiara for her wedding, not sure about Irene Urdangarin. Maybe the royal touch will be gone for Cristina's kids when they come of age.

We know that the tiaras are or at least were once owned by JC and/or Sofia. But maybe they gave one or more as gift to the new monarchs? Anyway, I don't think it matters much who owns the individual tiara. I'm convinced the the former monarchs have made sure that the new Queen has access to the jewels she needs for her job. Or can you imagine that Sophia is holding back her larger tiaras and says: "not before I die!" ?

What I can imagine is that Sophia is keeping Niarchos rubies to herself. So far she has never shared them with any of the younger royals. And since they have nor royal provenance she may consider them as her most private tiara.

Victoria Marichalar could wear her father's family tiara for her wedding, not sure about Irene Urdangarin. Maybe the royal touch will be gone for Cristina's kids when they come of age.

I think King Felipe would also loan a tiara to his niece for her Wedding Day.

But then we must not forget thet the floral tiara was a favourite of Dona Sofia as well. Very often the floral tiara was not available for the then Princess of Asturias, because her mil wore it.

My files might not be complete, but I found only one event when Letizia wore the Prussian while the floral stayed in the vault. That was the French SV when Sofia wore the small ruby tiara. I makes sense that Letizia also wore a small tiara for this banquet.

A big favorite for a long time of Queen Sofia was also the Mellerio Shell tiara. In the early years of her marriage when Infanta Cristina also still attended State Banquets she wore often the floral tiara and Letizia the prussian tiara or the other way.

We know that the tiaras are or at least were once owned by JC and/or Sofia. But maybe they gave one or more as gift to the new monarchs? Anyway, I don't think it matters much who owns the individual tiara. I'm convinced the the former monarchs have made sure that the new Queen has access to the jewels she needs for her job. Or can you imagine that Sophia is holding back her larger tiaras and says: "not before I die!" ?

What I can imagine is that Sophia is keeping Niarchos rubies to herself. So far she has never shared them with any of the younger royals. And since they have nor royal provenance she may consider them as her most private tiara.

Letizia unlike her mother in law doesn't really seem to like wearing any jewelry,if I was Sofia I'd keep the Niarchos rubies rather than see them gather dust!

I think King Felipe would also loan a tiara to his niece for her Wedding Day.
I agree, Christina's children will have relatives who would lend them wedding tiaras, either their uncle the king, or their grandmother Dona Sofia who hopefully will live to see the proud day.
A big favorite for a long time of Queen Sofia was also the Mellerio Shell tiara. In the early years of her marriage when Infanta Cristina also still attended State Banquets she wore often the floral tiara and Letizia the prussian tiara or the other way.
When there was more than one royal lady at a gala one of them would usually wear the floral. I don't blame them, because I think it's a very beautiful and flattering jewel.
During the past few years Sofia has rarely worn the shell tiara. And when she did, someone else wore the floral at that event.
Letizia unlike her mother in law doesn't really seem to like wearing any jewelry,if I was Sofia I'd keep the Niarchos rubies rather than see them gather dust!
Hehe, unfortunatels Sofia doesn't have many events to undust the rubies herself these days.

For the necklace yes. But the bandeau/tiara urgently needs a better setting/base. It really is a pity that Letizia doe never wear one of the many necklaces from the collection.

She used to wear several necklaces during the early years of her marriages. For some strange reason she stopped doing so, which is a pity.

She used to wear several necklaces during the early years of her marriages. For some strange reason she stopped doing so, which is a pity.

It all went bit by bit watches,necklaces,bangles and the rings,for a time all she wore was those wretched diamond star earrings. Letizia has been a big disappointment so far as queen on the jewel front.

Definitely agree An Ard Ri.
There was alot of talk about the country's finances. But your wedding rings? And the jewelry you already own?

It's called the wretched economic state Spain has been in for the last few years. I would rather have a Princess/Queen wearing the same thing jewelry wise, and tiny and discreet at that, than going all out and rubbing it in the Spanish peoples faces.

The fact Letitzia has started bringing out more statement looking earrings the last few months is a hint to me things are starting to look up in Spain. If not, then they'd still be in their cases.

She has had to tread a very difficult line these last few years w/her jewelry, i think she's done a very good job and should be praised for it. It might be boring for us, but sometimes doing the right thing is exactly that.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Definitely agree An Ard Ri.
There was alot of talk about the country's finances. But your wedding rings? And the jewelry you already own?

Wasn´t there a discussion about an allergy regarding her wedding rings?
Also I remember the dreadful Picture at the day of the Inauguration, which showed Letizias Hand after the thousands of handshakes.... which was completely red and swollen..... maybe that is the reason for no longer wearing her wedding band.
CP Victoria seemed to have a similar Problem, you didn´t see her with her wedding band the lat 1-2 years either....
Bye Bine

It's called the wretched economic state Spain has been in for the last few years. I would rather have a Princess/Queen wearing the same thing jewelry wise, and tiny and discreet at that, than going all out and rubbing it in the Spanish peoples faces.

The fact Letitzia has started bringing out more statement looking earrings the last few months is a hint to me things are starting to look up in Spain. If not, then they'd still be in their cases.

She has had to tread a very difficult line these last few years w/her jewelry, i think she's done a very good job and should be praised for it. It might be boring for us, but sometimes doing the right thing is exactly that.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Wow, very well said. I hope for even better times, too....
Bye Bine

I don't think that we can totally blame the economic situation for it. It's much rather Letizia's personal style and preference. Remember the phase when she only wore the small star earrings? No Spaniard would have blamed her if she had varied her earrings a bit more. She simply didn't like to, imo. And I doubt that we'd ever see her as bejewelled as eg. Maxima. Even if the Spanish economy became the strongest in the world she wouldn't change her personal style that much.

I'd rather see Letizia not varying style ore recycling items that see any other royal wear new expensive jewels every single day.

I loved them with her Opera ensemble and gorgeous plaited updo that really allowed them to shine but also looked spectacular with her simple but elegant satin top. I absolutely loathed them with the dark ensemble with her hair down. It just didn't look good up with loose hair and a dark ensemble. It seemed to drain the colour both from the earrings and Letizia herself.

My least favourite Spanish tiara but possible the most worn one by members of the family.Queens Sofia and Letizia as well as the Infantas Elena, Cristina and Margarita have all worn this historic tiara.
The shell tiara has been worn by many family members, but it is not worn very often. I made some (incomplete) statistics about how often the tiaras have been worn since 2004, the year Letizia joined the family. I’m sure that I have missed some tiara appearances, but the numbers give a general idea:

floral tiara – 26 outings
Prussian tiara – 14 outings
fleur-de-lys tiara & and Q. Ena’s Cartier pearl tiara – 6 outings each
Mellerio shell tiara – 4 outings
Niarchos ruby tiara – 1 outing

Queen Letizia has only worn it once, and also of Infanta Christina and Infanta Margarita I have seen pictures of only 1 event each. And of Infanta Elena I have never seen a photo wearing it, but there is a family portrait painting where she seems to wear it.

I don’t really dislike the shell tiara. It is quite nice, only the others (except for the rubies) are nicer. The Spanish tiara collections is not very large, but it does not contain many misses (except for the rubies).

I like a lot the Shell tiara because it's classical yet the design is quite unique, I love the danglig pearls and the shape remind me of ocean waves. It's a nice uncommon desing among royal jewells.

But I think it's not an easy one to wear. Unlike the floral that looks great on anybody and with any hairdo. This one is not flettering to every face and requires a slightly full, waving hairstyle. That's probably why it looked so good on Queen Sofia and why I don't like it that much on Letizia. I wish she would wear it again with a different hairdo.

It must have been year since she wore necklaces. At least she started to wear different earings again after that rather long phase when she would only wear the tiny star earrings. I haven't noticed her wearing bracelets lately, did she stop wearing them as well?

It must have been year since she wore necklaces. At least she started to wear different earings again after that rather long phase when she would only wear the tiny star earrings. I haven't noticed her wearing bracelets lately, did she stop wearing them as well?

It must be 5 years since we saw Letizia wearing a necklace,she did wear a bracelet I think on a visit to Morocco last year and we got the fleur de lys brooch at the recent state visit. I've given up on her ever wearing her rings again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom