Queen Letizia Jewels: June 2014 - Dec. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

The Queen does Iyengar yoga on a regular basis I read. This means she must have a very strong spine and neck, which is a help perhaps in wearing these jewels.

:previous:Ahhh....that helps I am sure! Thanks Marengo!;)

So, it broke as she wore it? JMO, but maybe it is time for the Spanish Monarchy to develop a regular maintenance and repair program for the family jewels. You can use X Ray and other imagery to detect tiny flaws that have developed in metals or repairs. Jewelry restoration is not a recent development...

:previous: I don't believe it is broken but rather incorrectly assembled. Someone mentioned that the velvet matching Letizia's hair was missing but, the description of the tiara says the base is paved and, if you look closely you can see this tiara is that fantastic than even the base consists of a row of paved diamonds. It is merely incorrectly set.

WOW WOW WOW

I nearly fell off my chair, when I have seen the pics and the Queen with the Fleur de Lys Tiara for the first time this morning.
And: it made my day!

Queen Letizia is looking superb, every inch a Queen. And yes, the Tiara is a Big Gun, but she wears it well - simply fantastic!
Also the dress let the diamonds sparkle, a perfect frame for the grand entrance.

I was just..... surprised, that she decides for this GRAND jewel selection for the State Visit of Argentina. Nothing against Argentina at all, but I THOUGHT, ok, let´s wait for the first State visit of a Reigning House and she will opt for the Fleur-de-Lys. Argentina would have done the Cartier or the big Pearl Tiara as well - and it also would heve been a phantiastic surprise.

BYe Bine

And here I was thinking she hated wearing them. (maybe she does) But she has started 2017 with a big bang. Those are some serious jewels she's wearing and she's carrying it off extremely well.

I am surprised the Court apparently made no effort to have a proper monture created for the new Queen. The old beige wrapping, matching Doña Sofía's coiffure is still in use. On close ups the settings are dirty and the metal is tarnished. And worse: to get it somehow fitted, the diadem was broken (!) in the base and besides two fleurs-de-lys...

The base is the start of every monture and usually that will be a solid 3/4 or completely round circle, the fundament of any monture. In my guess the diadem was taken out of the cassette, dirty and with old wrapping, "oops... it does not fit.... eeeehhh...." and someone with a pair of tongs cut the base and forced the Ansorena a bit in a desired shape, so it could wobble on Letizia's head for the banquet.

Last edited:
Letizia is the most petite of women, with a slim neck to boot...I wonder if she had a massive headache after wearing that huge tiara all evening?

I think I remember reading that is the reason the equally tiny Japanese Empress stopped wearing them. They gave her a headache as well as neck and back pain!:ohmy:

I've heard similar rumours about Mette-Marit of Norway. The reason for her mostly sticking to the Daisy bandeau is her neck (or is it back?) problems.

I am surprised the Court apparently made no effort to have a proper monture created for the new Queen. The old beige wrapping, matching Doña Sofía's coiffure is still in use. On close ups the settings are dirty and the metal is tarnished. And worse: to get it somehow fitted, the diadem was broken (!) in the base and besides two fleurs-de-lys...

The base is the start of every monture and usually that will be a solid 3/4 or completely round circle, the fundament of any monture. In my guess the diadem was taken out of the cassette, dirty and with old wrapping, "oops... it does not fit.... eeeehhh...." and someone with a pair of tongs cut the base and forced the Ansorena a bit in a desired shape, so it could wobble on Letizia's head for the banquet.

Didn't Letizia turn up at an event with a broken Floral tiara a few years ago. Maybe there's no regular maintenance of the royal jewels at all like in most other monarchies?

Didn't Letizia turn up at an event with a broken Floral tiara a few years ago. Maybe there's no regular maintenance of the royal jewels at all like in most other monarchies?
Did she? I don't remember that. When would that have been?
Apparently these kind of things happen from time to time. Remember that even QEII's wedding tiara broke on the big day and looked crooked? I still think that Letizia looks smashing, and the crookedness of the tiara was hard to perceive.

:previous: The tiara was missing one of the petals during the state visit from Colombia in 2015, and some months later it was fixed for the SV from Peru ;)

Vanitatis contacted with Ansorena and they say the Fleur-de- Lys tiara is not broken. Actually, the piece was designed to be worn in different positions. It's said to have some claws that allow to round it in different grades. Queen Ena herself used it as a coronet at first:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/kedvesem/enacrown.jpg

And later, she was pictured wearing it VERY open, over the forehead as was the fashion at the time:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...jpg/300px-Queen_Victoria_Eugenia_of_Spain.jpg

On later photos, I think there is even a third position, more closed than the last one and the way it's worn today, like in the two last pictures in this series:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Hl9hwbFQ6Nk/USTu2okKxZI/AAAAAAAAUqo/m7gdDVcXq3M/s1600/_Ena.jpg

What some experts are saying is that, to allow the changes, the base of the tiara might be articulated, not a continous piece. So whoever placed it on Letizia's hair didn't realize the base was not alright. Or maybe the base doesn't adjust as well as it used to anymore since it's an old piece and probably has stayed for years in the same position suited for Sofia's head.

Anyway, I agree that the way the jewellery is treated seems to be a little careless. In this case, it might have been a last hour incident, but it's hard to believe nobody realized the floral was missing a petal. Also it's quite odd that the wrapping has not been changed for Letizia. That makes me think it has not been altered in any way for Letizia and they took it from Sofia and tried to adjust it to Leti's head by using the mechanism in the tiara. Obviously it wasn't enough and it need some professional fixing.

I never noticed the missing petal before. They should have noticed it when they positioned the tiara. You don't just snap off a piece of a tiara and throw that piece on the flour without noticing, I imagine.

What I find really odd, is how little they thought about adapting the colour of the velvet band. But I think that this has also happened in other Royal Houses as well.

The fleur-de-lys broche worn by Letiia was no so stunning. It was a just a sober fleur-de-lys with ultra-small, almost zirconia-like diamonds. I think you have been wrong-footed with the fleur-de-lys pictured in the middle, in your link above. That one is truly beautiful and of superior quality indeed but that was never worn by Letizia, as far as I know.

Are these all her tiara events? I am surprised to see that she wore the Mellerio shell tiara only once. It is my favourte tiara of the Spanish collection by far.

Are these all her tiara events? I am surprised to see that she wore the Mellerio shell tiara only once. It is my favourte tiara of the Spanish collection by far.

yes, this is a complete list of all tiara events. Prussian and Floral are the most-used ones.

It is easy to see why, the floral tiara is a handy piece that goes with everything while the Greek tiara seems light and easy to wear.

I hope we will see HM soon with the shell, scroll and the loop tiaras. I would not mind seeing the Niarchos rubies on her either.

If I'm not wrong the Prussian tiara goes from mother to daughter. It was a gift to the then Princess Frederika of Hannover and Greece by her mother. Then it went from Queen Frederika to her daughter future Queen Sofia, shouldn't go to Infanta Elena? It is a personal property and not a SRF one. Or I'm Wrong?

Well, it's clearly not her favourite tiara.;)
It is easy to see why, the floral tiara is a handy piece that goes with everything while the Greek tiara seems light and easy to wear.

I hope we will see HM soon with the shell, scroll and the loop tiaras. I would not mind seeing the Niarchos rubies on her either.
I hope the same!
So far, Sofia has never shared the Niarchos rubies with anyone. I looks like she considers this one as her most personal tiara, while the others all have dynastic relevance. They have been worn by previous generation, which kind of makes them family jewels, rather than personal jewels. Does it make sense?
If I'm not wrong the Prussian tiara goes from mother to daughter. It was a gift to the then Princess Frederika of Hannover and Greece by her mother. Then it went from Queen Frederika to her daughter future Queen Sofia, shouldn't go to Infanta Elena? It is a personal property and not a SRF one. Or I'm Wrong?
This tiara is Queen Sofia's personal property, so she is not bound to leave it to anybody in particular. That it so far has passed form mother to daughter does not mean, that it has to be passed from mother to daughter. Imo, the situation looks different nowadays, because times have changed and tiaras are no longer worn on a regular basis. Also, all the previous owners of the tiara have made politically important matches, so it was only fit that these brides should receive representative jewels. That's why I think that the tiara will stay with the main line of the family, and it will either go to the King or to the Princess of Asturias.

Last edited:
Letizia did it again. she wore sofias ruby/bird earrings, we have seen them just a few time on sofia in the 80s. i cant remember she wore them in the 90s or 2000s

sofia with the earings and necklace http://oi68.tinypic.com/rbb89k.jpg
Letizia with the earrings. Spain's Queen Letizia (L) is welcomed by Japan's Empress Michiko upon her arrival for a welcoming ceremony at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on April 5, 2017. The Spanish royal couple is on a four-da... Pictures | Getty Images

thanks for the info!

earrings are nice but that necklace is really ugly! are these diamond birds?

thanks for the info!

earrings are nice but that necklace is really ugly! are these diamond birds?
I agree, the earrings are fine, but the necklace probably needs to be reworked.

The earrings are nice but that necklace is horrible,but I don't think we'll have to worry about Letizia wearing a necklace.. sacré bleu!

A close up with a better view to the earrings: http://media.zenfs.com/es-ES/homerun/woman.es/6bb6c6a1794e6600d7b09280952129f3
http://www.semana.es/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/10-1.jpg

Agree that the necklace does not share the earrings' level of loveliness, for once I'm glad she didn't bring the matching necklace along :D

Also, the bird motive is very Japanese, so they're a good choice. It's so great that Letizia has decided to open the jewels case and get out the not seen for long jewellery. Exciting to see if she has recovered something for Japan, maybe we'll get some surprise at the gala dinner? ;)

ETA: and another pair of earrings for the afternoon reception at the Spanish Embassy: http://www.belgaimage.be/#/image/112611179

Gala Dinner:

Floral tiara: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/King+Felipe+VI+Queen+Letizia+Visit+Japan+Day+MSIkbuMFrXDx.jpg

The earrings need a better view to identify them, but you heard it from me first: they're these from Queen Sofia as usual (they have a matching necklace that she should have worn indeed):
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z148/andreamonti_album/2e194eq.jpg

ETA: the bracelet is not new, they're the two bracelets from the passing jewells that she debuted last month, only worn together on the same arm: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/King+Felipe+VI+Queen+Letizia+Visit+Japan+Day+7M3oHHxS2otx.jpg

Last edited:
The ruby necklace is really not very beauiful. Queen Sofia has several ruby necklaces. Wonder why they did not break one like this up and made a nice diamond and ruby Parure including tiara from the stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom