The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
A few close-ups of Letizia's jewels at QM's birthday gala:

*All images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright
In Disney movies the tiaras wore by "fairy tale princess" are based on real tiaras, so I do not know why people are calling "Disney" tiaras. I have never seen tiaras in young girls in prom dresses or in cotillions. I think this tiara is beautiful and perfect for a queen. My personal opinion is that more is less, sometimes women in royalty look like walking Christmas trees. I have heard some of these tiaras called "big guns" and they are totally too much.
I loved Letizias jewelry. I did not like her dress, her arms are not her best, she would have looked spectacular with a more regal dress. However Q. Letizia and K Felipe are the most handsome of the couples. In my opinion the most beautiful dress and princess at the party was CP Mary of Denmark. Her dress is a dream. Q. Máxima always looks regal but it is her personality and smile. Thank you for posting these pictures.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't like this tiara, it looks like a prom tiara. Not liking the pearls on spikes either. Not a good design but it suits Letizia's minimalistic approach. The earrings fit very will with the tiara. And good so see something new after all. It would be a great tiara for Leonor's first event.
I live in the USA and have attended proms in a private all girls school. My children have attended the prom and also cotillions. I have never seen any young ladies wearing tiaras. I cannot imagine young girls in the United States wearing a tiara like Letizia's. Duke, could you post a picture of a prom or cotillion tiara?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia garcia roch View Post
I live in the USA and have attended proms in a private all girls school. My children have attended the prom and also cotillions. I have never seen any young ladies wearing tiaras. I cannot imagine young girls in the United States wearing a tiara like Letizia's. Duke, could you post a picture of a prom or cotillion tiara?
I have no idea about the US, I've never lived there. Tiaras are popular in the UK, for children and for weddings. Letizia's tiara looks budget to me, like out of a catalogue or Disney movie, that's all. I don't like the design or style and it doesn't have the gravitas to be listed among the SRF tiaras that are already out there.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
That might be the point. But what about cultured pearls, are drop shaped cultured pearls also so rare and expensive?
In truth, I have very little knowledge about the pearl cultivation. I do know that drop-shaped pearls are rare. It takes time to collect and match them for a piece of jewellery.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Oh, I didn't see the photoshop. Fürstin Taxis must have posted it while I was composing my own post. Yes, that looks more balanced. But wouldn't diamonds of that size be much more expensive than cultured pearls?
Yeah, after posting I thought the same. Some brilliants (the smaller ones) or swarovski perhaps?

Thank you Jacknch

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Beautiful earrings, so delicate, light and airy, just like a butterfly shoudl look. More importantly, they would look wonderful on Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

Quote:
For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys because of its history out of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.
I don't know about proms, we only have the symphonic kind here, and Disney owes a lot to reality but I would agree that it is not the most balanced or most beautiful new tiara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Perhaps Letizia could do some alterations to the tiara later on. Have the pearls be detachable and replace them with coloured gemstones.
The pearls do look slightly too big for this tiara. Maybe a teardrop shape would've been better, and in different sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I dislike pearls on tiaras in general, it's not in harmony with the rest. I still like the design though and the fact that she just showed it finally.
I made a little photoshop, replacing the pearls with diamonds and it's much more appeasing.
Magnificent. Unlike the pearls, the diamonds do not render the central, somewhat delicate looking, fleur-de-lys, all but invisible, and thus creates a more harmonious and balanced "look".
Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I have no idea about the US, I've never lived there. Tiaras are popular in the UK, for children and for weddings. Letizia's tiara looks budget to me, like out of a catalogue or Disney movie, that's all. I don't like the design or style and it doesn't have the gravitas to be listed among the SRF tiaras that are already out there.
Tiaras for weddings and kids are based on what royals wear ......in the US, UK, Europe, Australia Canada and rest of western world. To label this tiara, a "Disney" one, is pejorative. You could have said modest, unassuming, inexpensive, humble....instead of the implied disrespectful "Disney." As to being budget....how many tiaras have been bought this century to consort queens by their husbands?

There are a couple of tiaras I can think of that have been bought this century by royal houses to their princesses. They're modest and keeping up with the economic tines we live in .......but I don't remember anyone calling them "Disney".
Old 04-20-2015, 01:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Beautiful earrings, so delicate, light and airy, just like a butterfly shoudl look. More importantly, they would look wonderful on Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

I don't know about proms, we only have the symphonic kind here, and Disney owes a lot to reality but I would agree that it is not the most balanced or most beautiful new tiara.

Magnificent. Unlike the pearls, the diamonds do not render the central, somewhat delicate looking, fleur-de-lys, all but invisible, and thus creates a more harmonious and balanced "look".
I love it with the diamonds but I don't think this is going to happen soon. Not until Juan Carlos is dead.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Majesty

I actually think the new tiara is fine, as is. To me, whilst there may be specific issues (the gaps appear wide, the fleur-d-lys should have something in-between....), on the whole, when worn, the tiara was remarkably harmonious and worked well for Letizia. So on balance, I would not bother altering it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post

Drop/pear-shaped pearls are said to be very expensive. Perhaps, the Spanish royal family can not afford it.
I suspect that the cost is not a real issue.

To me, the tiara has a very modern feel to it, and drop pearls are just not used much in modern looking jewellery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I dislike pearls on tiaras in general, it's not in harmony with the rest. I still like the design though and the fact that she just showed it finally.
I made a little photoshop, replacing the pearls with diamonds and it's much more appeasing.
How lovely.

Should this be moved to the photoshopping thread?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Imo the photoshop can remain here, since it illustrates the discussion on this thread. But it would be good to mark the pic with a watermark saying that it is a photo montage. Otherwise some people might take it for real and spread the rumour that the tiara is convertible. (Similar things have happened with other montages before.)

I agree about the modern look in the tiara. The clear lines without frills and froufrou are very modern and of today's general taste. It would be anachronistic to create new jewels in the style of the 19th century.

But I still think that there is the cost issue. To make a new tiara in the style of eg. floral tiara would be immensely expensive imo. Not only would many more stones be needed. Also it would taken an immense amount of time to manufactue it, and nowadays the cost for skilled labour is so much higher then in the the haydays of formal jewels in the 19the century. Modern Royals in the Western democracies just can't afford that kind of luxury anymore.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
But I still think that there is the cost issue. To make a new tiara in the style of eg. floral tiara would be immensely expensive imo. Not only would many more stones be needed. Also it would taken an immense amount of time to manufactue it, and nowadays the cost for skilled labour is so much higher then in the the haydays of formal jewels in the 19the century. Modern Royals in the Western democracies just can't afford that kind of luxury anymore.
Completely agree. You've said it better than I could.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
...[snipped]
I suspect that the cost is not a real issue.

To me, the tiara has a very modern feel to it, and drop pearls are just not used much in modern looking jewellery. ... [snipped]
It was just my personal assumption. I for one think that only Grand Duchesses and Empresses from the Romanov family looked good in pearl tiaras. The tiara in question looks budget to me. If cost were not a real issue, it would have been much better to commission a piece from more established jewellers such as Mikimoto, Cartier, or Boucheron.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansorena jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Letizia Jewellery: June 2014 -

I'm glad there's less media pressure on her this time around.

Edited: oops! Meant to post this in a different thread and can't delete from my phone. Sorry for random post!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansoren jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.
That might be the case. Ansorena designs do not impress me. Queen Ena's tiara looks all right. This means that Queen Ena had a much finer taste in jewellery.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 PM
Courtier

So, is all the silver I'm seeing in this tiara actually all real diamonds? The tiara doesn't seem to sparkle much.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
But it seems that the idea itself comes from Ansoren jewellers. And they have had this close association with the casa real for ages. Afaik Ansorena also made Queen Ena's fleur de lys tiara. Imo it was also important to work with a Spanish jeweller, because it promotes Spanish design and economy. And secondly I suspect that Ansorena made them a much better price than Boucheron or Mikimoto would ever do. For them it must be great publicity.
Yes, the FDL-Tiara is the only other piece by Ansorena.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

I guess I am the only person on this forum that have never liked hats, so you know I hate tiaras. Actually find them a bit odd. To me look fake "one-up-man-ship". I know we Americans see them on Disney shows for the toddlers, but that is fake also, and we, unlike many know they all look fake. Now a proper Royal Complete Crown is brilliant and comes with tons of tradition for it's country, but a tiara, not so much. Seems just a form of formerly accepted caste system. Indicates who is part of an exclusive social group and permitted to wear. The huge ones are just gross [even though worth millions]. Just my old opinion and you all can yell at me all you want. Been there, done that. When you actually see one up close, you will also wonder why, when millions in their countries are jobless and ill, what good those tiaras are doing. I know tradition, but who in the world started?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Earrings and bracelet on Tuesday, very interesting ones. It is great to see Letizia wearing many kinds of jewellery.
Queen Letizia Attends Children and Youth Literary Awards Ceremony | jose gegundez | photographer
Queen Letizia Attends Children and Youth Literary Awards Ceremony | jose gegundez | photographer
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

I think she looked stunning in her new tiara. Today's younger queens I feel would not really wear the BIGGGGG Bling until they are a little older. Maxima can pull it off now, but that is Max and that is why we love her. I think wearing age appropriate jewels have different levels of when they appear on any queen or princess.

Tags
jewellery, letizia, queen letizia, spain