Queen Letizia Jewels: June 2014 - Dec. 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we will see the big Fleur de Lys tiara on Letizia's head before Sofia passes on, if at all.
I don't like the new tiara's design but it suits well with Letizia's budget look in general. I hope though that there won't be a scenario that from now on it will be the princess tiara and nothing but the princess tiara on her head.
But I am optimistic that for a state affair in Spain (this event was a birthday abroad) Letizia will use one of the tiaras that have been shared among the SRF ladies over the years.
In years to come, the princess tiara would be a good starter for Leonor of Sofia jr.

There is speculation that the majority of spanish tiaras are in serious need of repairs, and the Fleur the Lys in particular. Apparently a new department dependent of Royal Patrimony is seriously on the cards to look after royal jewels. Hopefully this means that Spain is joining Sweden and Netherlands in creating a central royal collection.

As to whether Letizia will wear the Fleur de Lys before Sofia's passing, it's up to her. Sofia made a point wearing the tiara and the chatones for the last time before Felipe and Letizia became kings. This tiara is to be worn only by the current queen of Spain.

Last edited:
In Letizioas case i would from the three big taras use the diamond and pearl tiara from Queen Maria Christina. It was only worn a few times by Queen Sofia and is therefore not so associated with her the de fleur de lys or the Cartier diamond and pearl tiara from Queen Ena. And i think it is lighter then the fleur de lys at last i have this impression from the pics of it.

A few close-ups of Letizia's jewels at QM's birthday gala:

*All images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,121
I have to say I changed my mind and think that tiara looks spectacular on Queen Letizia's head!:flowers:

Those strange lightbulbs, eh... pearls, on those thin spikes destroy the look.

- remove those pearls

- set the central fleur-de-lys with diamonds (not that open as it is now)

Then probably it will look better, more balanced and substantial.

I have to agree with Duc et Pair that the pearls are my main objection to the tiara. However I do like the overall shape and size of this piece.

For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys because of its history out of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.

Last edited:
I love the new tiara. It's simple, elegant, classy, and looks lovely on Letitia.

Perhaps Letizia could do some alterations to the tiara later on. Have the pearls be detachable and replace them with coloured gemstones.
The pearls do look slightly too big for this tiara. Maybe a teardrop shape would've been better, and in different sizes.

For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys out because of history of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.
Right you are.

Ok. I liked the tiara on her as it seemed she was enjoying it. But you are right Duke. It does have a pageant Vegas look to it. I still enjoyed seeing it on Letizia

Perhaps Letizia could do some alterations to the tiara later on. Have the pearls be detachable and replace them with coloured gemstones.
The pearls do look slightly too big for this tiara. Maybe a teardrop shape would've been better, and in different sizes.

Do we think a pearl base to the new tiara would improve the design?

It would definitely bring more balance into the diadem. The awkward spikes with those industrial looking pearls still will "destroy" the look, I am afraid. There is no setting around the pearls, no "claw", that is probably why it looks like a fancy fair tiara you can get when you win a prize.

:flowers:

I kind of don't like the straigth diamond base of the tiara. It looks harsh, geometric and leads the focus to the base and even highlights the velvet band below. Maybe I would remove that base completely. I imagine a look where the velvet base is covered and the curves of the tiara kind of rises out of the hairstyle instead of looking 'popped on'. And maybe the stones from the base could be used to 'fill' the fleur de lys.

Also I agree with those who think that smaller pear shaped pearls would look better.

:previous:
Drop/pear-shaped pearls are said to be very expensive. Perhaps, the Spanish royal family can not afford it.

I dislike pearls on tiaras in general, it's not in harmony with the rest. I still like the design though and the fact that she just showed it finally.
I made a little photoshop, replacing the pearls with diamonds and it's much more appeasing.

Attachments

• Pearl Fleur de Lys Tiara (2005) by Ansorena for Queen Letizia 3 Kopie.jpg
    Pearl Fleur de Lys Tiara (2005) by Ansorena for Queen Letizia 3 Kopie.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 719
Drop/pear-shaped pearls are said to be very expensive. Perhaps, the Spanish royal family can not afford it.
That might be the point. But what about cultured pearls, are drop shaped cultured pearls also so rare and expensive?

Last edited:
I certainly think drop shaped pearls would balance the design a little, but I also like the idea of diamonds replacing them - Fürstin Taxis photoshop is clever and shows how it could look very well.

Oh, I didn't see the photoshop. Fürstin Taxis must have posted it while I was composing my own post. Yes, that looks more balanced. But wouldn't diamonds of that size be much more expensive than cultured pearls?

I assume that the lightbulb pearls are cultured. Ansorna talked about Australian pearls, and Australia is famous for their pearl cultures.

A few close-ups of Letizia's jewels at QM's birthday gala:

*All images have been heavily cropped and are not subject to copyright

In Disney movies the tiaras wore by "fairy tale princess" are based on real tiaras, so I do not know why people are calling "Disney" tiaras. I have never seen tiaras in young girls in prom dresses or in cotillions. I think this tiara is beautiful and perfect for a queen. My personal opinion is that more is less, sometimes women in royalty look like walking Christmas trees. I have heard some of these tiaras called "big guns" and they are totally too much.
I loved Letizias jewelry. I did not like her dress, her arms are not her best, she would have looked spectacular with a more regal dress. However Q. Letizia and K Felipe are the most handsome of the couples. In my opinion the most beautiful dress and princess at the party was CP Mary of Denmark. Her dress is a dream. Q. Máxima always looks regal but it is her personality and smile. Thank you for posting these pictures.

Last edited:
I don't like this tiara, it looks like a prom tiara. Not liking the pearls on spikes either. Not a good design but it suits Letizia's minimalistic approach. The earrings fit very will with the tiara. And good so see something new after all. It would be a great tiara for Leonor's first event.

I live in the USA and have attended proms in a private all girls school. My children have attended the prom and also cotillions. I have never seen any young ladies wearing tiaras. I cannot imagine young girls in the United States wearing a tiara like Letizia's. Duke, could you post a picture of a prom or cotillion tiara?

Last edited:
I live in the USA and have attended proms in a private all girls school. My children have attended the prom and also cotillions. I have never seen any young ladies wearing tiaras. I cannot imagine young girls in the United States wearing a tiara like Letizia's. Duke, could you post a picture of a prom or cotillion tiara?

I have no idea about the US, I've never lived there. Tiaras are popular in the UK, for children and for weddings. Letizia's tiara looks budget to me, like out of a catalogue or Disney movie, that's all. I don't like the design or style and it doesn't have the gravitas to be listed among the SRF tiaras that are already out there.

That might be the point. But what about cultured pearls, are drop shaped cultured pearls also so rare and expensive?
In truth, I have very little knowledge about the pearl cultivation. I do know that drop-shaped pearls are rare. It takes time to collect and match them for a piece of jewellery.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't see the photoshop. Fürstin Taxis must have posted it while I was composing my own post. Yes, that looks more balanced. But wouldn't diamonds of that size be much more expensive than cultured pearls?

Yeah, after posting I thought the same. Some brilliants (the smaller ones) or swarovski perhaps? :)

Thank you Jacknch :flowers:

Last edited:
Beautiful earrings, so delicate, light and airy, just like a butterfly shoudl look. More importantly, they would look wonderful on Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

For me the fleur de lys doesnt fit. It has been the heraldic emblem of the house of Borbon for ages. The tiara itself looks totally budget, some Disney or prom piece, and the Fleur de lys because of its history out of place. The pearls are too big for the design and the way the tiara was put on the brown band looks cheaply done.
I don't know about proms, we only have the symphonic kind here, and Disney owes a lot to reality but I would agree that it is not the most balanced or most beautiful new tiara.

I dislike pearls on tiaras in general, it's not in harmony with the rest. I still like the design though and the fact that she just showed it finally.
I made a little photoshop, replacing the pearls with diamonds and it's much more appeasing.
Magnificent. Unlike the pearls, the diamonds do not render the central, somewhat delicate looking, fleur-de-lys, all but invisible, and thus creates a more harmonious and balanced "look".

I have no idea about the US, I've never lived there. Tiaras are popular in the UK, for children and for weddings. Letizia's tiara looks budget to me, like out of a catalogue or Disney movie, that's all. I don't like the design or style and it doesn't have the gravitas to be listed among the SRF tiaras that are already out there.

Tiaras for weddings and kids are based on what royals wear ......in the US, UK, Europe, Australia Canada and rest of western world. To label this tiara, a "Disney" one, is pejorative. You could have said modest, unassuming, inexpensive, humble....instead of the implied disrespectful "Disney." As to being budget....how many tiaras have been bought this century to consort queens by their husbands?

There are a couple of tiaras I can think of that have been bought this century by royal houses to their princesses. They're modest and keeping up with the economic tines we live in .......but I don't remember anyone calling them "Disney".

Last edited:
Beautiful earrings, so delicate, light and airy, just like a butterfly shoudl look. More importantly, they would look wonderful on Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

I don't know about proms, we only have the symphonic kind here, and Disney owes a lot to reality but I would agree that it is not the most balanced or most beautiful new tiara.

Magnificent. Unlike the pearls, the diamonds do not render the central, somewhat delicate looking, fleur-de-lys, all but invisible, and thus creates a more harmonious and balanced "look".

I love it with the diamonds but I don't think this is going to happen soon. Not until Juan Carlos is dead.

I actually think the new tiara is fine, as is. To me, whilst there may be specific issues (the gaps appear wide, the fleur-d-lys should have something in-between....), on the whole, when worn, the tiara was remarkably harmonious and worked well for Letizia. So on balance, I would not bother altering it at all.

I suspect that the cost is not a real issue.

To me, the tiara has a very modern feel to it, and drop pearls are just not used much in modern looking jewellery.

How lovely.

Should this be moved to the photoshopping thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo the photoshop can remain here, since it illustrates the discussion on this thread. But it would be good to mark the pic with a watermark saying that it is a photo montage. Otherwise some people might take it for real and spread the rumour that the tiara is convertible. (Similar things have happened with other montages before.)

I agree about the modern look in the tiara. The clear lines without frills and froufrou are very modern and of today's general taste. It would be anachronistic to create new jewels in the style of the 19th century.

But I still think that there is the cost issue. To make a new tiara in the style of eg. floral tiara would be immensely expensive imo. Not only would many more stones be needed. Also it would taken an immense amount of time to manufactue it, and nowadays the cost for skilled labour is so much higher then in the the haydays of formal jewels in the 19the century. Modern Royals in the Western democracies just can't afford that kind of luxury anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom