Queen Juliana of the Netherlands Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a stunning parure.
Pity Queen Beatrix never wore it, but I have high hopes for Maxima; she can pull of some pretty impressive jewellery - and this tiara is as impressive as it can go.

I hope princess Maxima will wear the Stuart tiara when she become Queen.

:lol::lol:
That's a stunning parure.
Pity Queen Beatrix never wore it, but I have high hopes for Maxima; she can pull of some pretty impressive jewellery - and this tiara is as impressive as it can go.

I do expect Maxima will wear it once she becomes Queen. She appears to have the presence, and the desire to wear large pieces of jewellery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen J really knew how to wear those holland Jewell's...

Dare I say it but maybe the reason that Queen Beatrix has never worn the Stuart-diamond tiara in her 32 years as Monarch is because it is not a particularly elegant or attractive jewel.

While the Stuart diamond is massive (along with a few of the others!), its setting at the front at the very peak gives the tiara the appearance of being ungainly and top-heavy. Added to that, in my eye there is a lack of artistry or finesse to the overall design and setting. I'd describe it as 'lumpen' and disappointing for what should by rights be the signature piece of the House of Orange.

1. The Stuart-Diamond Tiara
2. Queen Juliana wearing it

Attachments

• Netherlands Stuart-Diamond Tiara 1.jpg
    Netherlands Stuart-Diamond Tiara 1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,108
  • Stuart.jpg
    Stuart.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 354
Apart from being not very elegant it must also be very heavy to wear. The same goes for the bow brooch of this parure, which contains some large diamonds (from Anna of Hanover?) too. I believe that they had to sew in extra fabric/support in the dresses of Q. Juliana to carry the weight of the brooch.

IMHO if Máxima won't be able to wear the items either, they should break down (parts of) the parure to create a new one. It has been done several times before. There is no logic in letting the most important diamonds of the family collect dust for 4 decades. The Stuart diamond can be used as pendant for a necklace or perhaps as a brooch.

Last edited:
Well if any royal can pull off wearing so much "bling'- my bet goes to CP Maxima to wear the Stuart tiara!!!

Are there jewllery we have not seen sinne juliana wore them?

Apart from being not very elegant it must also be very heavy to wear. The same goes for the bow brooch of this parure, which contains some large diamonds (from Anna of Hanover?) too. IMHO if Máxima won't be able to wear the items either, they should break down (parts of) the parure to create a new one. It has been done several times before. There is no logic in letting the most important diamonds of the family collect dust for 4 decades. The Stuart diamond can be used as pendant for a necklace or perhaps as a brooch.

I'd agree with you there,it looks rather awkward and heavy.Perhaps breaking it up and making a smaller less heavy one might be possible,there are so many diamonds on it!

Are there jewllery we have not seen sinne juliana wore them?

The entire Stuart Parure has not seen since 1971 when Juliana wore it at at State Visit to the UK.

The entire Stuart Parure has not seen since 1971 when Juliana wore it at at State Visit to the UK.

Goodness that's a long time,I wonder if there's any other jewels that have been long forgotten about!

Juliana wearring the ears of wheat tiara (only 6 of the 10 ears) and a nice necklace, originally made for Queen Wilhelmina. This necklace was worn as circlet on the head once, at an engagement in the US, attended by Eleonor Roosevelt (not a succes IMO). Maxima wore the necklace at the wedding of Martha-Louise in Trondheim, but the sapphire's were replaced by diamonds. Queen Beatrix never wore the necklace.

Now, what do you think Dame Edna would be more jealous of, the jewels or the glasses?

Pic from Corbis

JulianaM.jpg

From which event is this photo (date?)

I have no idea TBH.

IIRC the piece was too difficult to wear, due to its size and weight. Q. Wilhelmina only used it for official portraits. Although it is nice that the 4 princesses all received some jewels from this parure, it is a pity that they demolished it completely and didn't alter it to a smaller size.

In the book Juwelen van het Huis Oranje-Nassau, the author René Brus only described the break-up of the "unwearable" diadem into personal bijoux for the Princesses. The jeweller kept the white gold from the monture as a payment for his services.

No word about the mirroring collier. A few years ago suddenly some of the motifs from the collier popped up, which is a proof that the jeweller back then has not destroyed it and melted the white gold...

In various forums posters have also remarked that the amount of known personal bijoux for the Princesses seem not matching the diamonds and sapphires in both the enormous diadem and it's mirroring collier. So who knows, it is still somewhere?

The same counts for another mirroring element: the collier from the "Peacock Parure", mirroring the diadem. The diadem suddenly popped-up after decades of invisibility. The mirroring collier however still has not been seen yet... (pic)

Last edited:
I don't like the design of this one it looks a little large and unwearable but at least after it was dismantled the diamonds and sapphires were put to better use.

Here you see five lozenges on top of a diadem, these belonged to the collier from the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure. (See picture) Proof that the collier -in contrary to the diadem- has not been "melted down" (otherwise we would not have these original lozenges).

The enormous earrings are personal bijoux -in this case made for Princess Beatrix- from stones coming from the broken-up diadem of the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure.

So yes indeed, sad that the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure was partly broken up, but great that the stones still have good use for the four daughters of Queen Juliana.

Last edited:
The necklace was not 'melted down', but it was certainly (at least partly) broken up. Otherwise the lozenges couldn't have ended up on top of the small tiara. I therefore have no hope of seeing it worn again.

The necklace was not 'melted down', but it was certainly (at least partly) broken up. Otherwise the lozenges couldn't have ended up on top of the small tiara. I therefore have no hope of seeing it worn again.

Broken up means destroyed. The lozenges seem complete. Note that the collier from the "Mellerio Parure" which was worn on the head by Princess Máxima was also partly "broken". As long as it is possible to construct and de-construct there is a chance to see it again.

It remains a mystery however. I hope one day we will see what happened with the long-not-seen pieces from the Stuart Parure, the Wedding Gift Parure, the Peacock Parure and if the amazing Borneo Bracelet can be re-assembled again since last week Princess Beatrix was spotted with a new diamond bracelet.

I love this. I had hoped to see Max wear it when she became queen since Bea never did but no such luck yet :sad:

I wonder if the main stone is detachable or can be modified to be. It is said to have originally been set as a brooch by Mary II. Queen Max rocks the big brooches, might be a good idea on her.:flowers:

Beautiful tiara!!! Interestingly, that never wore it the Princess Beatrix. I really hope to see this tiara soon!

Back in 2013 there were rumours that the Stuart Diadem has been to the Court Jeweller. Like the big diamonds and sapphires diadem (worn at the Investiture without central aigrette and worn in Copenhagen with central aigrette) was re-set by the Court Jeweller too, to accomodate Queen Máxima.

The Stuart Diadem is so opulent that I can imagine Queen Beatrix (or her sober and ascete spouse) having a dislike for it. Maybe she was afraid to be seen só bedecked with eye-popping diamonds because it might have stirred public debate?

But the couple Willem-Alexander and Máxima are not so spastic about that: yes, they are wealthy. Yes they have properties, yes the King bought new porcelain tableware for 1,5 million Euro. Yes the King bought a speedboat for "just" 800.000 Euro. Yes, there will be a new plane for the King and the Cabinet for between 60 and 90 million Euro. It has no sense to keep the expensive tableware, the beautiful carriages, the grand jewels and other objects in the archives in vain attempts to appease public opinion.

The Dutch always nag about costs anyway, but interestingly enough they seem to have been more critical under Queen Beatrix than under the current King. Maybe exactly because the King is more transparant, mode laid-back and not so immensely high-brow and yes, a monarchy is expensive.

It is waiting for a suitable event to wear the Stuart Diadem. The Silver Wedding in 2027. Or an important incoming royal State Visit. King Charles III and Queen Camilla. I think that the incoming State Visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will not show the Stuart: the Belgians have not so many jewels and maybe Máxima does not want to blast Mathilde away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom