Queen Juliana of the Netherlands Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thomas, I have to disagree with you on this one- I like the sapphire parure! It is very queenly. But that emerald thing is...yuck. Who wants an emerald antenna sticking out of their head?

Most Noble Lady K,

I have looked again at the sapphire thingie and as much as I do love sapphires I cannot find this present presentation agreeable. Nor do I care for the Mellerio parurue. Maybe it is those glasses after all. As for the emerald tiara, the gemstones, particularly the emeralds are simply wonderful but the design is just lacking.

The Stuart parure is simply magnificent. As are other setting in the Dutch Royal Jewels but at best that collection is definately a mixed bag of tricks. But then QEII's sapphire tiara is at best a mediocre realization. One true marvel involving, however subtly, the use of sapphires is the Glouchester Indian tiara which a realization in the Indian style of pearls, diamonds and sapphire accents. Lovely indeed. Cheers.

According to the magazine 'Royalty' the Stuart poarure made from the 'housediamonds' of the Orange-Nassau's (both from the Frisian as the Orange-branch in the 17th century) contains over 900 smaller and 51 bigger diamonds. Sigh, what a waste as they have been collecting dust for decades!

Juliana, daughters and major bling bling:

julianaholland79.jpg

Free of copyrights, from HGNL

I wonder who inherits these jewels? Qbeatrice then maxima? or they all belong to the royal house;Q. beatrice sisters & daughters in law?
I can imagine maxima going in a big room full of jewels taking her time which set should she choose for a coming event:rolleyes:

juliana

incredible..........juliana looks fashionable and not ugly.

I wonder who inherits these jewels? Qbeatrice then maxima? or they all belong to the royal house;Q. beatrice sisters & daughters in law?
I can imagine maxima going in a big room full of jewels taking her time which set should she choose for a coming event:rolleyes:
I think that most of the jewels belong to the foundation of the orange jewels, and the queen has the first pick, then the CPss and then the princesses, according to rank. I personally think that specific tiaras should be for specific members of the royal family. For instance, I think that it was unfair of Maxima to wear Princess Mabel's wedding tiara on an occasion where she was present, I think that Mabel should (like the Danish princesses for instance) be able to wear this tiara for her lifetime, and give it back on the occasion of divorce or death. They all seem to wear the smae earrings, brooches and necklaces on different occasions, which takes away the uniqueness of it all.
BTW Queen Juliana had a regality uncommon in royals of today! QEII, QMargerethe, and maybe QSophia of Spain can compare, the rest are quite in her shadow, I am noat saying they are not beautiful, noble looking etc. but there is something she had, which they don't:rolleyes: Ahh, the magic of royalty!

For instance, I think that it was unfair of Maxima to wear Princess Mabel's wedding tiara on an occasion where she was present, I think that Mabel should (like the Danish princesses for instance) be able to wear this tiara for her lifetime, and give it back on the occasion of divorce or death. They all seem to wear the smae earrings, brooches and necklaces on different occasions, which takes away the uniqueness of it all.

But Máxima has worn Mabel's Wedding tiara only 2 times. At an official Visit in 2006 and at the Diamond Jubilee in Thailand. On both occasions mabel was not present.
I don't think we will see mabel often wearing a tara as she is no member of the Royal Hpouse she will not participate in State Functions in the Netherlands and there are no other tiara-occasions in the Netherlands. And i don't except her to attend many Events in the scandinavian Monarchies (where tiaras are worn for this sort of bashes) either. I think it is nice that the Dutch royal ladies share their tiaras so we see them not agan and again and again in the same tiara like we do with Mary and Mette-Marit. The spanish Ladies do the same but there the big tiaras are reserved for the Queen.

pic

Marengo,

Is that Baudoin, Albert & Paola of Belgium with Beatrix and her mother Juliana?

Paola looks a little bit like Mathilde in this pic.

Cheers and Thank you.

The diamond is huge! What a pity Beatrix never wore it (she gets headaches fromthe weight of tiara's), I hope they still own it.

Here another picture of Juliana witht he same tiara, the necklace is also part of the parure. The enormous bracelet was a gift of the Dutch Indies to Juliana upon her wedding. The bow-brooch might be suitable for Mabel ;)

The image originally come from www.hetgeheugenvannederland.nl

belgianstatevisit.jpg

But Máxima has worn Mabel's Wedding tiara only 2 times. At an official Visit in 2006 and at the Diamond Jubilee in Thailand. On both occasions mabel was not present.
I don't think we will see mabel often wearing a tara as she is no member of the Royal Hpouse she will not participate in State Functions in the Netherlands and there are no other tiara-occasions in the Netherlands. And i don't except her to attend many Events in the scandinavian Monarchies (where tiaras are worn for this sort of bashes) either. I think it is nice that the Dutch royal ladies share their tiaras so we see them not agan and again and again in the same tiara like we do with Mary and Mette-Marit. The spanish Ladies do the same but there the big tiaras are reserved for the Queen.
Yes thanks for correcting me, Mabel wasn't there, I still feel that Someone like Mabel and Laurientine should be able to have their own tiara, or one worn excusively by them when they do have occasions to go to.

Well, no Dutch royal apart from Princess Irene has a tiara/parure of their own. All of them are to be shared, probably with the understanding that the bigger pieces are reserved for the Queen. Mabel might possibly wear Laurentiens wedding tiara next time etc. The Dutch royals seem to treat these things like a policemanscap, as part of the uniform but without any sentimental value.

--
To Emeralds and Opals: that are Albert, Paola and Boudewijn indeed; it was during Juliana's state visit to Belgium. I believe prince Bernhard was ill and could not attend.

Stuart Diademe

This weekend i visited paleis Soestdijk. There was an exhabition of pictures of Queen Juliana. One of the most beautiful pictures of the Queen was, wearing the Stuart Diademe, made in 1961, because of her 12 1/2 year Anniversary being a queen. Does anyone of you have this picture and can post it here?
I don't know were to post this question in this forum, that's why i post it here.

:previous:
There are pictures of Queen Juliana wearing the Stuart Diadem on the previous two pages; maybe the picture you are looking for is there.

Stuart tiara

:previous:
There are pictures of Queen Juliana wearing the Stuart Diadem on the previous two pages; maybe the picture you are looking for is there.

Thank you for your answer Warren, but unfortunately not. I've never seen the picture before, but it was an official picture, so it must be a public one.

A picture with a very good view of the Stuart parure, worn by Queen Juliana. Click on the 3rd picture on the 1st row and zoom in.

Nederlands Fotomuseum - Beeldbank)

The design actually looks nice on this picture IMO.

Last edited:
Queen Juliana knew how to wear Royal jewels and she wore them regally.:flowers:

Great photo! Does anybody what brooche she is wearing? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
That photo is amazing! I actually love the scroll design of this tiara. I really wish someone would take it down to it's smaller setting since no one has ever seen it. And maybe it's just me but that necklace would make a great tiara....BTW is she smoking? :queen3:

Great photo! Does anybody what brooche she is wearing? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

The bow brooch is also part of the Stuart parure. Queen Juliana has worn it regulary (either in combination with the Stuart tiara or with the diamond bandeau) but Queen Beatrix has never worn it.

SASSY said:
That photo is amazing! I actually love the scroll design of this tiara. I really wish someone would take it down to it's smaller setting since no one has ever seen it. And maybe it's just me but that necklace would make a great tiara....BTW is she smoking? :queen3:

Me to! A few months ago it was rumored in Dutch royalty programmes and magazines that the tiara has been to the court jeweller for that reason. But I am not sure where they did get the information from. I would be nice if HM would at least wear the Stuart diamond once, maybe as a brooch.

Last edited:
Me too! A few months ago it was rumored in Dutch royalty programmes and magazines that the tiara has been to the court jeweller for that reason. But I am not sure where they did get the information from. I would be nice if HM would at least wear the Stuart diamond once, maybe as a brooch.
----------
I forgot about the Stuart diamond as a brooch. Let's hope it's not a rumor.

I remember the rumor as well and at the time, it was also rumored that the Stuart tiara was sent to a jeweler in hopes that it was being readied to wear to Victoria of Sweden's wedding by the Queen. We all know that didn't happen.:flowers:

The bow brooch is also part of the Stuart parure. Queen Juliana has worn it regulary (either in combination with the Stuart tiara or with the diamond bandeau) but Queen Beatrix has never worn it.

Thanks Marengo, but I actually meant the brooch on her shoulder. Do you have more information on that one?

Hi!

The brooch Queen Juliana wore on her shoulder is not part of an order insignia or the dress. HM has also worn in at Prinsjesdag in 1960. Judjing by the way it's placed, we can assume that it's a clip, maybe even Art Deco. Her daughter Irene wore it at the christening of her son Prince Carlos, the current Duke of Parma. Since then I've not seen photos of anyone wearing it.

ETA - I just found a photo/portrait of Princess Irene wearing the brooch in 1959.

Princess Irene wearing the diamond clip
- File:Juliana as a grandmother.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Bobby

Thanks Bobby! That is an interesting find! Perhaps it belongs to the private jewels of princess Irene now? i have never seen her wearing it recently though. But apart from some earrings and bracelets, princess Irene hasn't worn larger pieces for decades of course. Maybe it will be worn by her new daughter-in-law soon.

Juliana, daughters and major bling:

julianaholland79.jpg

Free of copyrights, from HGNL
a wonderful photo

i do miss the duch jewllery webbsite
when was the last time julianas large tia
ra were seen?

The Stuart tiara is one of the most grandest I have ever seen!

Pic

This tiara is amazing! I wonder why Beatrix has never worn it.I hope Maxima wears it someday!

Well, of they still own the Stuart Diamond Tiara (and I sincerely hope that is the case) then I wish we may see it on lovely Queen Maxima when that day arrives!

Back
Top Bottom