The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2015, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

In the book Juwelen van het Huis Oranje-Nassau, the author René Brus only described the break-up of the "unwearable" diadem into personal bijoux for the Princesses. The jeweller kept the white gold from the monture as a payment for his services.

No word about the mirroring collier. A few years ago suddenly some of the motifs from the collier popped up, which is a proof that the jeweller back then has not destroyed it and melted the white gold...

In various forums posters have also remarked that the amount of known personal bijoux for the Princesses seem not matching the diamonds and sapphires in both the enormous diadem and it's mirroring collier. So who knows, it is still somewhere?

The same counts for another mirroring element: the collier from the "Peacock Parure", mirroring the diadem. The diadem suddenly popped-up after decades of invisibility. The mirroring collier however still has not been seen yet... (pic)

Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I don't like the design of this one it looks a little large and unwearable but at least after it was dismantled the diamonds and sapphires were put to better use.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I don't like the design of this one it looks a little large and unwearable but at least after it was dismantled the diamonds and sapphires were put to better use.
Here you see five lozenges on top of a diadem, these belonged to the collier from the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure. (See picture) Proof that the collier -in contrary to the diadem- has not been "melted down" (otherwise we would not have these original lozenges).

The enormous earrings are personal bijoux -in this case made for Princess Beatrix- from stones coming from the broken-up diadem of the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure.

So yes indeed, sad that the 1901 Wedding Gift Parure was partly broken up, but great that the stones still have good use for the four daughters of Queen Juliana.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The necklace was not 'melted down', but it was certainly (at least partly) broken up. Otherwise the lozenges couldn't have ended up on top of the small tiara. I therefore have no hope of seeing it worn again.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The necklace was not 'melted down', but it was certainly (at least partly) broken up. Otherwise the lozenges couldn't have ended up on top of the small tiara. I therefore have no hope of seeing it worn again.
Broken up means destroyed. The lozenges seem complete. Note that the collier from the "Mellerio Parure" which was worn on the head by Princess Máxima was also partly "broken". As long as it is possible to construct and de-construct there is a chance to see it again.

It remains a mystery however. I hope one day we will see what happened with the long-not-seen pieces from the Stuart Parure, the Wedding Gift Parure, the Peacock Parure and if the amazing Borneo Bracelet can be re-assembled again since last week Princess Beatrix was spotted with a new diamond bracelet.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Amazing set indeed. It is regrettable that dissolved to make other jewelry. A heirloom that I liked was even though it was difficult to wear. However it would be nice as one poster say you had just formed and not destroy
Old 07-09-2016, 02:03 AM
Majesty

The Stuart Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Truly a magnificent and regal tiara. The tiara is immaculate in design. It is a masterpiece in my eyes.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I love this. I had hoped to see Max wear it when she became queen since Bea never did but no such luck yet

I wonder if the main stone is detachable or can be modified to be. It is said to have originally been set as a brooch by Mary II. Queen Max rocks the big brooches, might be a good idea on her.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful tiara!!! Interestingly, that never wore it the Princess Beatrix. I really hope to see this tiara soon!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Back in 2013 there were rumours that the Stuart Diadem has been to the Court Jeweller. Like the big diamonds and sapphires diadem (worn at the Investiture without central aigrette and worn in Copenhagen with central aigrette) was re-set by the Court Jeweller too, to accomodate Queen Máxima.

The Stuart Diadem is so opulent that I can imagine Queen Beatrix (or her sober and ascete spouse) having a dislike for it. Maybe she was afraid to be seen só bedecked with eye-popping diamonds because it might have stirred public debate?

But the couple Willem-Alexander and Máxima are not so spastic about that: yes, they are wealthy. Yes they have properties, yes the King bought new porcelain tableware for 1,5 million Euro. Yes the King bought a speedboat for "just" 800.000 Euro. Yes, there will be a new plane for the King and the Cabinet for between 60 and 90 million Euro. It has no sense to keep the expensive tableware, the beautiful carriages, the grand jewels and other objects in the archives in vain attempts to appease public opinion.

The Dutch always nag about costs anyway, but interestingly enough they seem to have been more critical under Queen Beatrix than under the current King. Maybe exactly because the King is more transparant, mode laid-back and not so immensely high-brow and yes, a monarchy is expensive.

It is waiting for a suitable event to wear the Stuart Diadem. The Silver Wedding in 2027. Or an important incoming royal State Visit. King Charles III and Queen Camilla. I think that the incoming State Visit of King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will not show the Stuart: the Belgians have not so many jewels and maybe Máxima does not want to blast Mathilde away.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Heir Apparent

The Belgians do have a few big guns, the Nine provinces and Spanish wedding especially when worn in full form, definitely can rival many tiaras. The Elizabeth Cartier is also stunning even if not the level of the Stuart. I don't think the size of a visiting tiara likely plays a deciding factor but I could be wrong.

But I do think she will wait for a special event for it to appear.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I would say that state visit to the UK would be a likely first outing for the tiara again. Sadly, there will not be one any time soon. Otherwise, perhaps WA's 50th birthday -if it is a tiara event.

It is very strange that the necklace is not worn either, it seems easier to wear than the tiara, and the Queen does like necklaces every now and then (unlike Beatrix who seldom wore big necklaces).

I suppose the frames of both the tiara and the necklace may be in a bad condition and make the piece unwearable. The jewels are in a foundation, with an annual budget, so perhaps there is simply no meney in the foundation to have them reset yet. It seems such a waste to let the best diamond(s) of the collection gather dust for nearly half a century.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The Belgians do have a few big guns, the Nine provinces and Spanish wedding especially when worn in full form, definitely can rival many tiaras. The Elizabeth Cartier is also stunning even if not the level of the Stuart. I don't think the size of a visiting tiara likely plays a deciding factor but I could be wrong.

But I do think she will wait for a special event for it to appear.
The Cartier Diadem from the late Queen Elizabeth is -sadly- no longer in the collection of the Belgian royal family.

The Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem is big in volume, especially worn in the version with the fleurons, but in essence it is a beautiful monture filled with millegrain diamonds set en pavé. The main stones are aquamarines, red half-gems and green half-gems. There are no power-carat diamonds in that (beautiful!) multi-purpose diadem: picture.

Remains the Nine Provinces Diadem. Also lots of millegrain diamonds in scrollwork. The eleven big diamonds are impressive. However these eleven have a yellow tint which lowers their price: the less body color in a white diamond, the more true color it will reflect, and thus the greater its value. A clear picture with the colour difference.

I hope to see Queen Máxima at a fantastic bedecked table in the Royal Palace Amsterdam, dazzling with her very best and oldest family diamonds (picture), but I am not sure this will happen when the King and Queen of the Belgians hop over...
Old 07-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Cartier Diadem from the late Queen Elizabeth is -sadly- no longer in the collection of the Belgian royal family.

The Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem is big in volume, especially worn in the version with the fleurons, but in essence it is a beautiful monture filled with millegrain diamonds set en pavé. The main stones are aquamarines, red half-gems and green half-gems. There are no power-carat diamonds in that (beautiful!) multi-purpose diadem: picture.
What a lovely tiara! I love aquamarines.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
What a lovely tiara! I love aquamarines.
Let us hope Queen Mathilde will wear it in Amsterdam or The Hague indeed. Then this would indicate this was handed over before the late Queen Fabioa left "everything" to the Fondation Œuvres de la Reine/Werken van de Koningin.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I would say that state visit to the UK would be a likely first outing for the tiara again. Sadly, there will not be one any time soon. Otherwise, perhaps WA's 50th birthday -if it is a tiara event.
But Máxima culd wear it for an official pic. Not need to wait for an occasion to wear it.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would love to see it worn by queen Máxima whom I believe would wear it very well and do it justice!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Imo an official picture would be the best option to wear it for the first time. Maybe she is keeping it for a special event, like the King's tenth jubilee. Or even better (for us, because the wait is not so long), the King's fiftieth birthday next year. And if she intends to wear it to a State Visit first, I assume that it would be rather an incoming SV than an outgoing one.

Tags
jewellery, queen juliana