The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
The diamond is huge! What a pity Beatrix never wore it (she gets headaches fromthe weight of tiara's), I hope they still own it.
Beatrix has never worn the Stuart (or Holland) diamond tiara?? It is a shame since it is such a grand piece.

I know it's not fun having a headache, but you would think it would be a small price to pay on her part, if it brought pleasure to so many people to see her wear it once or twice. Maybe there's another reason why she has never worn it.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The tiara hasn't been seen since the early 70-ties when Juliana wore it for the last time (I believe on her state visit to the UK, though I am not sure).

Some posters on the message boards suggested that Beatrix never wore it while her mother was alive, to honour her mother as head of the family, but I doubt that.

Beatrix has a lot of migraine attacks, according to her son in an interview they gave in the 80-ties (the bigger the headache, the bigger the smile he commented), so I assume these diamonds are to heavy. Given her distaste for necklaces (and heavy jewelry in general), making it a necklace wan't an option either. Like with the other jewels which are collecting dust in the vaults, gfor this set we have to put our hopes on Maxima as well (though she can never wear it while Beatrix is still reigning), and assume the piece isn't sold.

From Ursula's magnificent site (and Corbis):

Old 01-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

In post 16 I am talking about a necklace Juliana once put on her head when she visited eleonor roosevelt, here it is:

She wore it at the belgian state visit as well, but as a necklace:

both pictures from Corbis
Old 01-31-2006, 12:01 AM
Gentry

Queen Juliana wearing the Mellerio Ruby Parure tiara. The strings of the tiara cause optimal movement to the diamonds so that it does glitz in the extreme.

Queen Juliana loved this tiara and wore it often, she wore also the necklace together with the stomacher as a small parure without tiara

Source Royal-Magazin.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Here a link to Ursula's site with a magnificent colour picture of Juliana wearing the crown-parure with the bracelet of the dutch indies. She changed the tiara of the crownparure for the diamond bandeau.

http://www.royal-magazin.de/niederlande/diamanten.html

Check out the site btw, it is magnificent!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Juliana's jewelry just looked incredible!
The huge parures looked so good on her! Actually I cannot imagine Maxima wearing them once...
It's a shame that Beatrix cannot wear those stunning pieces (her headache problem)..

Old 09-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Royal Highness

I think Maxima will wear the diamonds, in a more fashionable way
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Juliana wearing her emerald parure, free of copyrights from Het Geheugen van Nederland - Geschiedenis van Nederland in illustraties, foto's, teksten, films en audio:

Old 08-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Administrator

And again from Het Geheugen van Nederland - Geschiedenis van Nederland in illustraties, foto's, teksten, films en audio (and free of copyrights), Juliana strikes a rather regal pose. It seems she is wearing the diamond bandeau:

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, I stand by my earlier unkind comments about the jewels of the House of Orange Nassau. Some of them are of course magnificent and others should be taken apart and start over. I for one have always been enormously fond of the Stuart parure which is massive, magnificent and wonderful. Queen Mary would have loved it. I think it regrettable that it is not now worn but others are sheer horrors. That Queen Emma sapphire thingamajig is just simply horrible. Then there is the emerald thing with that rock sticking out of the top. and the poor seven story toy of Queen Wilhelmina. It is amazing. Put Queen Elizabeth and her elegance up against most of the jewels and they just fade away. Which is such a pity as many of the gems themselves are magnificent. I hate to be the party poorper and rain on everybody's parade. But I guess the heat has gone to the feeble remnants of my brain and stewed them. Cheers.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Thomas, I have to disagree with you on this one- I like the sapphire parure! It is very queenly. But that emerald thing is...yuck. Who wants an emerald antenna sticking out of their head?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Most Noble Lady K,

I have looked again at the sapphire thingie and as much as I do love sapphires I cannot find this present presentation agreeable. Nor do I care for the Mellerio parurue. Maybe it is those glasses after all. As for the emerald tiara, the gemstones, particularly the emeralds are simply wonderful but the design is just lacking.

The Stuart parure is simply magnificent. As are other setting in the Dutch Royal Jewels but at best that collection is definately a mixed bag of tricks. But then QEII's sapphire tiara is at best a mediocre realization. One true marvel involving, however subtly, the use of sapphires is the Glouchester Indian tiara which a realization in the Indian style of pearls, diamonds and sapphire accents. Lovely indeed. Cheers.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:31 AM
Majesty

http://www.royaldutchjewels.nl/index.html

Courtesy John's updated wonderfull & extensive site.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator

According to the magazine 'Royalty' the Stuart poarure made from the 'housediamonds' of the Orange-Nassau's (both from the Frisian as the Orange-branch in the 17th century) contains over 900 smaller and 51 bigger diamonds. Sigh, what a waste as they have been collecting dust for decades!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Juliana, daughters and major bling bling:

Free of copyrights, from HGNL
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Courtier

I wonder who inherits these jewels? Qbeatrice then maxima? or they all belong to the royal house;Q. beatrice sisters & daughters in law?
I can imagine maxima going in a big room full of jewels taking her time which set should she choose for a coming event
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM

juliana

incredible..........juliana looks fashionable and not ugly.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amina1 View Post
I wonder who inherits these jewels? Qbeatrice then maxima? or they all belong to the royal house;Q. beatrice sisters & daughters in law?
I can imagine maxima going in a big room full of jewels taking her time which set should she choose for a coming event
I think that most of the jewels belong to the foundation of the orange jewels, and the queen has the first pick, then the CPss and then the princesses, according to rank. I personally think that specific tiaras should be for specific members of the royal family. For instance, I think that it was unfair of Maxima to wear Princess Mabel's wedding tiara on an occasion where she was present, I think that Mabel should (like the Danish princesses for instance) be able to wear this tiara for her lifetime, and give it back on the occasion of divorce or death. They all seem to wear the smae earrings, brooches and necklaces on different occasions, which takes away the uniqueness of it all.
BTW Queen Juliana had a regality uncommon in royals of today! QEII, QMargerethe, and maybe QSophia of Spain can compare, the rest are quite in her shadow, I am noat saying they are not beautiful, noble looking etc. but there is something she had, which they don't Ahh, the magic of royalty!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
For instance, I think that it was unfair of Maxima to wear Princess Mabel's wedding tiara on an occasion where she was present, I think that Mabel should (like the Danish princesses for instance) be able to wear this tiara for her lifetime, and give it back on the occasion of divorce or death. They all seem to wear the smae earrings, brooches and necklaces on different occasions, which takes away the uniqueness of it all.
But Máxima has worn Mabel's Wedding tiara only 2 times. At an official Visit in 2006 and at the Diamond Jubilee in Thailand. On both occasions mabel was not present.
I don't think we will see mabel often wearing a tara as she is no member of the Royal Hpouse she will not participate in State Functions in the Netherlands and there are no other tiara-occasions in the Netherlands. And i don't except her to attend many Events in the scandinavian Monarchies (where tiaras are worn for this sort of bashes) either. I think it is nice that the Dutch royal ladies share their tiaras so we see them not agan and again and again in the same tiara like we do with Mary and Mette-Marit. The spanish Ladies do the same but there the big tiaras are reserved for the Queen.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Courtier

pic

Marengo,

Is that Baudoin, Albert & Paola of Belgium with Beatrix and her mother Juliana?

Paola looks a little bit like Mathilde in this pic.

Cheers and Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The diamond is huge! What a pity Beatrix never wore it (she gets headaches fromthe weight of tiara's), I hope they still own it.

Here another picture of Juliana witht he same tiara, the necklace is also part of the parure. The enormous bracelet was a gift of the Dutch Indies to Juliana upon her wedding. The bow-brooch might be suitable for Mabel

The image originally come from www.hetgeheugenvannederland.nl

Tags
jewellery, queen juliana