The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
The Belgium Royal Family are not very good at hanging onto their jewels. I sincerely hope the most important jewels are kept within the royal Family. The insignificant pieces won't be missed. They really need to start a Royal Collection of the most important jewels and ensure they stay with the monarchy and not be sold. There would be nothing worse than to see Kanye and Kim parading around in some dazzling piece naked.

Yikes that would be a disaster, she already thinks she is Queen of America and parades around in nothing but her bare bottom and top...please send them somewhere so that we don't have to hear from them ever again.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
The Belgium Royal Family are not very good at hanging onto their jewels. I sincerely hope the most important jewels are kept within the royal Family. The insignificant pieces won't be missed. They really need to start a Royal Collection of the most important jewels and ensure they stay with the monarchy and not be sold.

That's true and it would be a great shame if Queen Fabiola's jewels were lost,a royal collection would be a great way of saving them,but who knows what fate awaits them.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I hope that they have found a solution to keep the most important jewellery piece in the family.

The small Wolfers tiara would make a lovely first tiara for the Duchess of Brabant. And the trefoil leaf tiara was the most iconic piece of Queen Fabiola, it's a piece that should pass from Queen to Queen in the future, just like the 9 Provinces tiara.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Belgian Royal Family are quite 'tiara poor' compared to the others,it would be a great shame if Queen Fabiola's tiaras were sold off.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Majesty

My fear is that thanks to the insane death tax in Belgium, and to the furor over Fabiola's Foundation a couple of years ago, the jewelry will indeed be sold off and liquidated as part of the late queen's fortune earmarked for charity.

I really, really hope that over the past few years she quietly began distributing her jewelry pieces to Mathilde. Queen Fabiola wore some truly spectacular gems as queen. If they remain in Belgium as part of the Royal collection, the Belgian Royals will finally have jewels at their disposal to rival the ones in Denmark and Luxembourg!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I hope that they have found a solution to keep the most important jewellery piece in the family.

And the trefoil leaf tiara was the most iconic piece of Queen Fabiola, it's a piece that should pass from Queen to Queen in the future, just like the 9 Provinces tiara.
Even more so as she was given it because she married the King of the Belgians. And the wolfers tiara also makes a beautful diamond necklace.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Majesty

Most of the gems Fabiola wore as queen came from her adored husband. I cannot imagine that she would not see to it that they remained in the family.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Me neither. The reports mention her 'complete private possessions'. Maybe some items have been put in a fund before that? Apart from the jewels, I am sure that must be portraits and other items of King Boudouin that would be important for the family & country to keep.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Majesty

A few years ago French Point de Vue devoted a cover story on Fabiola's jewel collection. There were some emeralds that were only slightly smaller than Easter eggs. My mouth was never closed while I was looking at those photos..they were astonishing I can assure you.

Her jewels alone must be worth many millions. And then there are her furs and her property, namely Villa Astrida in Spain.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
My fear is that thanks to the insane death tax in Belgium, and to the furor over Fabiola's Foundation a couple of years ago, the jewelry will indeed be sold off and liquidated as part of the late queen's fortune earmarked for charity.

I really, really hope that over the past few years she quietly began distributing her jewelry pieces to Mathilde. Queen Fabiola wore some truly spectacular gems as queen. If they remain in Belgium as part of the Royal collection, the Belgian Royals will finally have jewels at their disposal to rival the ones in Denmark and Luxembourg!
Well, we already know about the Waterfall Brooch and the Earrings from the Maroccan Parure, that they have been worn by Mathilde. So I really, really really hope as well... especially the Leaf Tiara, the Wedding Gift from Franco, would be a great asset.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Isn't it a tradition that family jewelry, even if someone owns it, has to be passed to someone else of the family?
E.g.: the jewels my aunt own, she also has no children, are to be inherited by my mother and then by me and my sisters.
You can't just sell or give away jewelry, it has to stay in the family. At least, I think so...

Queen Mathilde
Old 12-10-2014, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Isn't it a tradition that family jewelry, even if someone owns it, has to be passed to someone else of the family?

E.g.: the jewels my aunt own, she also has no children, are to be inherited by my mother and then by me and my sisters.

You can't just sell or give away jewelry, it has to stay in the family. At least, I think so...

No they can sell the jewellery if it is their own (not owned by a foundation). That's why many nice pieces have disapeared over the years from many royal families and that's why the belgian royal family are very short of jewellery compared to other royal families.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Has there been any updates on what has happened to the jewels of the late Queen Fabiola?
Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Has there been any updates on what has happened to the jewels of the late Queen Fabiola?

She left all her possessions to charity, so I assume her jewels as well. I guess they'll be sold.

Follow me on Twitter: @houseoflemon
Old 12-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
nothing that I've seen. I don't think we'll know for sure until something shows up on Mathilde or on the auction block.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
nothing that I've seen. I don't think we'll know for sure until something shows up on Mathilde or on the auction block.
I agree, and I think that it will take a long time till Mathilde wears something of Fabiola, or till the charity organizes an auction. With such a large legacy it must take quite a while to organize an auction.

If the late queen had given away her jewels during her lifetime, she would probably not have given everything to the same person (Mathilde). But with some good luck, Queen Fabiola has gifted some jewels to the various members of the family during her lifetime. So pieces of her could resurface in years to come on Mathilde as well on Astrid, Claire, and later on the Duchess of Brabant and the other girls of her generation.

(I won't give up hope)

Old 12-28-2014, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree, and I think that it will take a long time till Mathilde wears something of Fabiola, or till the charity organizes an auction. With such a large legacy it must take quite a while to organize an auction.

If the late queen had given away her jewels during her lifetime, she would probably not have given everything to the same person (Mathilde). But with some good luck, Queen Fabiola has gifted some jewels to the various members of the family during her lifetime. So pieces of her could resurface in years to come on Mathilde as well on Astrid, Claire, and later on the Duchess of Brabant and the other girls of her generation.

(I won't give up hope)
that's true. Claire likes small tiaras, so it'd be nice to see her with the Wolfers necklace tiara. Plus Fabiola had some lovely other pieces.

Fingers crossed we'll find out sooner rather than later! lol
Old 12-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Maybe she left the jewels to the Crown, so that all the females in the royal family can wear them (Mathilde would have first dibs of course)
Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:

(I won't give up hope)
In this scenario, I think she would definitely have given something to her niece Princess Margaretha of Liechtenstein as well. They were very close.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
that's true. Claire likes small tiaras, so it'd be nice to see her with the Wolfers necklace tiara. Plus Fabiola had some lovely other pieces.

[...]
How do you know? Maybe Claire would have loved big whoppers with glittering diamonds as well.... She just had to wear what was available for her, and that were small poor quality diadems. It says nothing about her personal preference.

Tags
jewellery, queen fabiola