The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am pretty sure those two articles are not the only reason why the Orange-Nassau are richer than the Belgian Coburg. Wise investment over the years, including large stock holdings in Dutch multinational companies like Royal Dutch Shell , also contributed to the family's wealth. On top of that, the Orange-Nassau may have been officially on the Dutch throne as monarchs since 1814 only, but the family's history goes way back. In fact, they have accumulated wealth since the Dutch golden age of the 17th century when the Princes of Orange were de facto hereditary heads of state in what was nominally the old Dutch "republic".

What intrigues me the most about the Coburg though is what happened to the huge fortune that King Leopold II must have amassed during his personal rule of the Belgian Congo. Does anyone know ?
The bulk of King Leopold II's inheritance is in today's Donation Royale, an autonomous state agency which is responsible for it's maintenance and preservation. It's capital is worth around 500 million Euro. The Donation Royale holds the following buildings in use for the Belgian royal family:
The Castle of Laeken and the royal serres (the King)
The Castle of Belvédère (King Albert)
The Villa Clémentine (Prince Laurent)
The Castle of Stuyvenberg (the late Queen Fabiola)
(Villa Schonenberg, in use by Princess Astrid is build on the domain)
The Castle of Ciergnon (summer residence)
The Castle of Fenffe (summer residence)
The Castle of Villers-sur-Lesse (hunting lodge)

Other properties owned by the Donation Royale:
Arboretum in Tervuren (public park)
Parc Duden in Forest (public park)
Parc Elisabeth in Laeken (public park)
Maria-Henriëttepark in Oostende (public park)
Leopold II-park in Nieuwpoort (public park)
Koloniale Tuin / Jardin Colonial in Laeken (public park)
Memorial Chapel for Queen Astrid of Belgium, in Küssnacht, Switzerland
Japanese Tower in Laeken (open for public)
Chinese Pavilion in Laeken (open for public)
Ravenstein Castle and domain in Tervuren (rented to a golf club)
Ardenne Castle and domain in Houyet (rented to a golf club)
Domain in Klemskerke near De Haan, Belgium (rented to a golf club)
Castle Hertoginnedal in Auderghem (in usufruct by the Government)
Castle Ferage in Houyet (no use)
Royal Villa in Oostende (rented to a health centre)
15.5 km² farmland
48 km² woodland in Houyet
5 km² woodland in Postel
Terrains of the British School in Tervuren
Ponds of Boitsfort
Wellington racecourse and Stables in Oostende
Sports centre in Strombeek-Bever
Dunes in De Panne
Offices in Brussels (Kunstberg / Mont des Arts)
Carrefour des Quatre-Bras (square near Waterloo)

We can say that somehow, somewhere, the Belgian royal family is not de jure, but de facto very rich because they have all these wonderful assets at their disposal.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Aristocracy

Fabiola has gifted her private fortune to the Queens charity. See my post in the more general thread.
Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014
The palace has confirmed this but has not given more detailed information since its a private matter. So we will have to wait and see if her jewels will be worn by other royal ladies.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Majesty

What a great woman. Vive la Reine!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Fabiola has gifted her private fortune to the Queens charity. See my post in the more general thread.
Death of Queen Fabiola: December 5, 2014
The palace has confirmed this but has not given more detailed information since its a private matter. So we will have to wait and see if her jewels will be worn by other royal ladies.
Do your charitied need to pay an inheritance tax?
Old 12-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Do your charitied need to pay an inheritance tax?
No charities and special institutions like the Church are free of taxes.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sancakli70 View Post
What happens with her jeweils after her death ? Anyone know it?
Since she had no children and was not close to her spanish relatives, I think her jewels will stay with Mathilde.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
No, but for a State funeral I don't think it's necessary for a Royal representative to know the deceased personally.For example Andrew Duke of York represented QEII at the funeral for Rainier III in April 2005 since Charles and Camilla were on honeymoon. I doubt he and Rainier were buddies, if they even met at all.

I love, love, love the news that the late queen left her entire fortune to the needy people of Belgium. She will get the last word over everyone who made her final years so painful with their criticism of her Foundation.

A Queen to the end, in every sense of the word.
Do you think her jewels will be sold to reverte the money to charity or will they be Mathilde's?
Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post
Do you think her jewels will be sold to reverte the money to charity or will they be Mathilde's?
Difficult to say. If we have to believe the media, Queen Fabiola has left all her possessions to a good cause. This includes her personal property unless she has already given items away, then these are not in the inheritance.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Since she had no children and was not close to her spanish relatives, I think her jewels will stay with Mathilde.
It depends on what was agreed at least three years before her death. If she has already given the jewels to Mathilde in 2010 or before, then the jewels are "safe". When the jewels were given shorter than three years ago, then the Belgian fiscus considers this as "withdrawal from a fortune" and the value of the items will be subjected to taxation.

When Queen Fabiola has given nothing to her relatives, and the rumours are true that everything goes to a good cause, then the jewels will disappear unless the royal family pays for the value.

By the way, Queen Fabiola was close to her Spanish relatives. Every year she spent a long time in Villa Astrida, Motril (Andalucía) and her Spanish family always was warmly welcomed there. The latest years, due to her health, the holidays became less frequent.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I hope they will go to Mathilde and eventually the little Duchess of Brabant but I've no idea honestly. I really pray that they stay within the Royal family.

Queen Fabiola was from the generation of royal women who wore jewels often and well. Many of her pieces were personal gifts from her late husband and are astonishingly beautiful. She had a set of sapphires in particular that make me drool.

It would be a travesty for those to be auctioned or sold outside the Royal family, imo.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I hope they will go to Mathilde and eventually the little Duchess of Brabant but I've no idea honestly. I really pray that they stay within the Royal family.

Queen Fabiola was from the generation of royal women who wore jewels often and well. Many of her pieces were personal gifts from her late husband and are astonishingly beautiful. She had a set of sapphires in particular that make me drool.

It would be a travesty for those to be auctioned or sold outside the Royal family, imo.
At the other hand, it is "muy Fabiola" that everything goes to a good cause...

Seeing the Waterfall brooch on Queen Mathilde, I have the idea the jewels were already -on time- distributed to escape taxes and fragmentation.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Nobility

Then I suppose we'll never see those tiaras again.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
On the contrary she was very close with her birth family. All of her siblings have passed on, but she maintained the closest most affectionate ties with her nieces and nephews in Spain.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Then I suppose we'll never see those tiaras again.
It could be possible that we will see them again, but of course I don't know for sure. Queen Fabiola could always leave them in her will for another family member, perhaps Queen Mathilde (as other members have said) or Princess Elisabeth for when she is of age, as it's my understanding that royal children are not allowed to access royal jewels until they are eighteen. It would be a nice nod to Queen Fabiola if Princess Elisabeth wore one of her tiaras on her wedding day in the future, but that's if a tiara of Queen Fabiola's will be passed on to her.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am pretty sure those two articles are not the only reason why the Orange-Nassau are richer than the Belgian Coburg. Wise investment over the years, including large stock holdings in Dutch multinational companies like Royal Dutch Shell , also contributed to the family's wealth. On top of that, the Orange-Nassau may have been officially on the Dutch throne as monarchs since 1814 only, but the family's history goes way back. In fact, they have accumulated wealth since the Dutch golden age of the 17th century when the Princes of Orange were de facto hereditary heads of state in what was nominally the old Dutch "republic

Another reason must be that for two generations there was only one heir born to the royal house so everything went to first Queen Wilhelmina and then later to Queen Juliana.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Another reason must be that for two generations there was only one heir born to the royal house so everything went to first Queen Wilhelmina and then later to Queen Juliana.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Yes indeed, King Willem III outlived his younger brother Prince Alexander (no issue), his younger brother Prince Hendrik (no issue), his eldest son Prince Willem (no issue), his second son Prince Maurits (no issue), his youngest son Prince Alexander (no issue). Only his sister Princess Sophie got issue. This means that a great part of the fragmented Orange-Nassau patrimonium, including the jewels, came into the hands of one general heiress, Princess Wilhelmina, the King's youngest child. A part of the Orange-Nassau jewels still went lost for the House via Princess Sophie and is now in the Houses of Sachsen-Weimar, Reuss and Mecklenburg.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
It could be possible that we will see them again, but of course I don't know for sure. Queen Fabiola could always leave them in her will for another family member, perhaps Queen Mathilde (as other members have said) or Princess Elisabeth for when she is of age, as it's my understanding that royal children are not allowed to access royal jewels until they are eighteen. It would be a nice nod to Queen Fabiola if Princess Elisabeth wore one of her tiaras on her wedding day in the future, but that's if a tiara of Queen Fabiola's will be passed on to her.
The Belgian media have reported that apparently Queen Fabiola has left her whole estate to the charity Oeuvres de la reine / Hulpfonds van de koningin. We will have to see what will happen with the jewelry.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

This is Queen Fabiola's mother posing with nice jewels in the staircase of their Madrid residence, the Palacio de Zurbano: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...adeAragon1.jpg

Her mother was Doña Blanca de Aragón y Carrillo de Albornoz, Barroeta Aldamar y Elio, daughter of the 6th Marchioness de Casa Torres.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness

The Belgium Royal Family are not very good at hanging onto their jewels. I sincerely hope the most important jewels are kept within the royal Family. The insignificant pieces won't be missed. They really need to start a Royal Collection of the most important jewels and ensure they stay with the monarchy and not be sold. There would be nothing worse than to see Kanye and Kim parading around in some dazzling piece naked.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Death duties and inheritance taxes are disgusting. My country got rid of these a very long time ago. I do not understand why progressive countries in Europe do not abolish these abhorrent taxes as well.

Tags
jewellery, queen fabiola