Queen Fabiola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Fabiola knew how to wear jewels, for sure! She was very regal and very simple at the same time..Well, it's a redundance, for being regal it's to be simple with elegance.

Queen Fabiola is one of my favorite monarchs.

Vanesa.

I have to say, before I stumbled upon this thread, that I did not know very much about Queen Fabiola, Queen Paola, Princess Lililan, or Queen Astrid. I have gone an information gathering spree and am just enthralled! What a story. Anyway, Queen Fabiola has some stunning pieces--I love them all. I think she is quite regal, and looks amazing in every picture I saw. And, in response to some of the posts--he husband was a very handsome man. And, that tiara he gave her for their wedding was one of the most beautiful I have seen.

jcbcode99 said:
And, that tiara he gave her for their wedding was one of the most beautiful I have seen.

Queen Fabiola was not given a diademe by her spouse. Her wedding-gift was a gift of the Spanish Government, presented to her by Madame Franco, spouse of the dictator.

Henri M. said:
Queen Fabiola was not given a diademe by her spouse. Her wedding-gift was a gift of the Spanish Government, presented to her by Madame Franco, spouse of the dictator.
And here's Madame Franco, looking perhaps just a little too pleased with herself, presenting the tiara to Fabiola...

Last edited:
I stand corrected, and Warren, Madame Franco does look a little too impressed with herself--but then again, what a piece to give the Queen! I'd probably grinning, too (or sobbing because I have to give it away--I'll be that poor Madam Franco tried it on a couple times before presenting it to the Queen!)

Madame Franco has quite royal links at present

jcbcode99 said:
I stand corrected, and Warren, Madame Franco does look a little too impressed with herself--but then again, what a piece to give the Queen! I'd probably grinning, too (or sobbing because I have to give it away--I'll be that poor Madam Franco tried it on a couple times before presenting it to the Queen!)

Madame Franco, Doña Carmen Polo y Martínez-Valdès was created Duquesa de Franco in 1975.

Her daughter Doña María del Carmen Franco y Polo married in 1950 with Don Cristobal Martínez-Bordíu, Marques de Villaverde. In 1975 she was created Duquesa de Franco.

Her granddaughter Doña María del Carmen Cristobal Martínez-Bordíu y Franco married in 1972 with HRH Don Alfonso de Borbón y Dampierre, Duque de Cadiz, Duc d'Anjou. Madame Franco hoped that this "operation" would lead to her granddaughter becoming Queen of Spain. By that time, her husband General Franco was greatly diminished, both physically and mentally. HRH Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón would ultimately succeed to the throne.

HRH Don Luis-Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordíu, Duque de Cadiz, Duc d'Anjou is a great-grandson of Madame Franco, one of the claimants to the Spanish throne.

Madame Franco liked to give expensive jewels. The present Floral Diademe in the Spanish royal family was a wedding-gift as well, to Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, the present Queen of Spain.

Last edited:
Thank you all for posting photos of the beautiful jewelry of Queen Fabiola. I was very pleased to see pictures of the Nine Provinces Diadem. I've read about it on other MB's, but for some reason couldn't bring up any pictures.
Henri, what was the reason for the cool relationship between Fabiola and Paola? This has probably been covered elsewhere in the Forum so forgive me for asking again. Thank you.

Simply a sort of non-matching characters, I think. No conflict or something like that.

You need to know that King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola were very, very, very devout Roman-Catholics. Queen Fabiola is still the living proof of a very ascetic living, deeply-religious and devout lady. King Baudouin looked very much the same as his sister Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg, also an ascetic looking, devout and strict lady.

King Albert and Queen Paola, back then the Prince and Princess de Liège, were so total dfferent personalities. They had (and have) more joie de vivre and take life far more lighthearted.

The three children of King Albert and Queen Paola show the remarkable same pattern: the two eldest (Philippe and Astrid) are devout Catholics, (too) serious and 'heavy' while their younger brother (Laurent) is so much more loose in everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanesa said:
Queen Fabiola knew how to wear jewels, for sure! She was very regal and very simple at the same time..Well, it's a redundance, for being regal it's to be simple with elegance.
Vanessa I have to agree with what you say so articulately.
She wore those jewels so natuarlly like she was born in them or born to wear them absolutely and by the way her spectacular fur trimmed wedding gown was designed by Balenciaga.

I think it would be great to see once the wedding gift tiara worn without the fleurons, only the crown-base.

Yes Warren, Madame Franco is certainly ginning better from ear to ear than anyone else I have seen lately. One would think that the grin is just about to meet at the back of her neck. And then there is this glittering bijoux hunk, emeralds (?) and all. A truly hilarious picture, to be treasured. BTW what on earth is the good Madame wearing about her neck. Popcorn???

As for trying the thing on, I for one am willing to bet the good woman wore the thing to bed for weeks before handing it over to the noble Fabiola. Cheers.

I realise I can't be the first to ask why the magnificent wedding gift tiara hasn't been seen in recent years. There's probably a simple answer, but Paola could really use it--it would look wonderful on her.

I believe the last time it was seen as during the Spanish state visit to Belgium, a few years ago. It was one of the few (or the only) time Fabiola wore a tiara after her husbands death. It is Fabiola's personal property and holds some good memories -it was a wedding gift to her- so she might want to hold on to it :)

Marengo said:
I believe the last time it was seen as during the Spanish state visit to Belgium, a few years ago. It was one of the few (or the only) time Fabiola wore a tiara after her husbands death. It is Fabiola's personal property and holds some good memories -it was a wedding gift to her- so she might want to hold on to it :)

She wore it also at the return dinner of the Swedish State Visit in 2001 8recently there was a picture ion the GRMB) with the same dress like ther spanish State Visit 1 Year earlier.

Any guesses what is to become of it? Will it be bequeathed to the crown?

She is free to do whatever she wants with it, but I wouldn' t be surprised if she left such an historic piece to CP Mathilde. Of course she can decide to leave it to other relatives (also from her side of the family) or even to have it sold and use the money for a good cause.

Marengo said:
She is free to do whatever she wants with it, but I wouldn' t be surprised if she left such an historic piece to CP Mathilde. Of course she can decide to leave it to other relatives (also from her side of the family) or even to have it sold and use the money for a good cause.

I hope she leaves the tiara and some of her other jewellery for her great nieces and for the wives of her great-nephews. The Belgians don't have a lot of jewellry, they could use a few more pieces.

The tiara Queen Fabiola received from Spain upon her wedding really is a beautiful and versatile piece of jewellery. I prefer the flower combination of the tiara with whatever gems needed in the centre. I sincerely hope that whoever gets it in the future will appreciate it.

There is still no foundation to protect the royal jewels in Belguim? Is it really not that important to them?

If there were such a foundation and Fabiola bequethed her jewels to the foundation, would there still be an inheritance tax?

People only talked about Marella Agnelli(nee Caracciolo di Castagneto) as a swan-necked beauty. I'd say, Queen Fabiola was(of course still is) also quite charming, who too has an elegant swanlike neck. :)

Queen Fabiola is such a classy woman! I guess you have to be royalty to have so much style nowdays.....

Now, is her jewelry cosidered crown jewels or her personal pieces? She has some gorgeous pieces, of course it doesn't hurt that she has an incredible flair for style IMO:D

Is her jewelry cosidered crown jewels or her personal pieces? She has some gorgeous pieces, of course it doesn't hurt that she has an incredible flair for style IMO:D

I believe the only tiara she ever used and can be considered crown jewel was the tiara that was originally a wedding gift to Queen Astrid ( I can't remember its name). She gave that to Queen Paola when Paola became a Consort.

By the way , do you know why she stopped wearing big jewellery and tiaras after her husband's death? I mean is there some kind of court etiquette for the Queen Dowager at Belgium or she just finds it somehow improprer to be heavily bejewelled now that her dear husband is gone?

That the Empire diamond tiara. I think she doesn't like to wear much jewellry Already in the last years of her husbands reign she almost only wore the small Wolfers dimaond tiara

She wore once a tiara during the King of Spain visit, sometimes she wore her spanish tiara as a necklace.
Why , I think the Great lady doesn't want anymore to stole the show. The Queen is now her sister in law Paola, who LIKES to be Queen.

We have only one Queens's state tiara and is is the one Queen Paola wears now.
Fabiola's spanish tiara and her Wolfers tiara (present of the Belgians) and her aquamarines will go I hope to Princess Mathilde or Princess Astrid.

She wore once a tiara during the King of Spain visit, sometimes she wore her spanish tiara as a necklace.
Why , I think the Great lady doesn't want anymore to stole the show. The Queen is now her sister in law Paola, who LIKES to be Queen.

And again at the return Banquet at the State Visit from Sweden in 2001.

And here's Madame Franco, looking perhaps just a little too pleased with herself, presenting the tiara to Fabiola...

:lol:

I was looking for info about Q. Fabiola's jewels and I find this! Madame Franco loved jewellery that's why she looks like a christmas tree, she was called in Spain "Madame Necklaces". She must have hated to give that tiara to Fabiola!

I love all Q. Fabiola jewellery is very regal, I hope that it will be inherited by P. Mathilde she would look fabulous with it.

when were the last time she wore a tiara?

does she have any "grand" necklaces or brosches?
something with a history

I think the last time Fabiola wore a tiara was 2000 or 2001. I believe another member can be more helpful than I am.;) I'm sure Fabiola has some beautiful brooches, necklaces and bracelets perhaps some Queen Astrid's jewels, but over the past few years, she hasn't worn many jewels.

I think the last time Fabiola wore a tiara was 2000 or 2001. I believe another member can be more helpful than I am.;) I'm sure Fabiola has some beautiful brooches, necklaces and bracelets perhaps some Queen Astrid's jewels, but over the past few years, she hasn't worn many jewels.

thank you so much for the info
so what tiaras has she worn past the years? was it 4?

• Empire diamond tiara
  • Fabiola's Spanish tiara
  • Wolfers tiara (present of the Belgians)
  • aquamarines tiara
and is there any of them we have not seen since 2000/2001?

Back
Top Bottom