The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Belgian Royal Brides: Queen Fabiola of Belgium | The Court Jeweller

I think her wedding tiara is one of my least favorites in the family.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I did not know was arranged. And so successful !!!. I do not particularly like wedding dress but i love this tiara.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Belgian Royal Brides: Queen Fabiola of Belgium | The Court Jeweller

I think her wedding tiara is one of my least favorites in the family.
Yes I agree its not a favourite of mine either .
Old 12-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The 9-provinces tiara looks like a lego tiara, which it is. You can somehow see that it wasn't originally designed that way, those arcs around the large diamonds somehow don't agree with the more delicate menader pattern of the base. But the late Queen Fabiola always wore the tiara with panache.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the Mathilde continues the tradition of this tiara worthily.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

While reading discussion on glittering board about Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara,Arthur pointed out that 2 tiaras could be made of one whole Spanish tiara.

Frame version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...26291393e5.jpg

Leaves version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1ed15cb26b.jpg

He suggested that,for example,aquamarines from the necklace in the second picture could be topped on the frame where the leaves were previously standing.

What do you think of the idea?

We will have to wait a little bit longer to see who inherited this Medinaceli Spanish tiara.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
While reading discussion on glittering board about Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara,Arthur pointed out that 2 tiaras could be made of one whole Spanish tiara.

Frame version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...26291393e5.jpg

Leaves version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1ed15cb26b.jpg

He suggested that,for example,aquamarines from the necklace in the second picture could be topped on the frame where the leaves were previously standing.

What do you think of the idea?

We will have to wait a little bit longer to see who inherited this Medinaceli Spanish tiara.
It was always known that the Wedding Gift Diadem came with two bases, as María del Carmen Polo y Martínez-Valdés, Señora de Meirás, presented these -in public- to Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. See picture.

The idea of only the base is charming and is definitely worth a try. Imgagine this diadem without the fleurons: see picture.

I think the rumour about the "fake" diadem is just a canard. It has been known that the central stones were not of the most valuable materials. The green stones are not emeralds. The red stones are not rubies. The lightblue stones are real aquamarines. The rest of the diadem seems very real to me anyway. At this XL-picture you see the fleurons added to a necklace. I have no reason to believe that the diamonds are just glass beads.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It was always known that the Wedding Gift Diadem came with two bases, as María del Carmen Polo y Martínez-Valdés, Señora de Meirás, presented these -in public- to Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. See picture.

The idea of only the base is charming and is definitely worth a try. Imgagine this diadem without the fleurons: see picture.

I think the rumour about the "fake" diadem is just a canard. It has been known that the central stones were not of the most valuable materials. The green stones are not emeralds. The red stones are not rubies. The lightblue stones are real aquamarines. The rest of the diadem seems very real to me anyway. At this XL-picture you see the fleurons added to a necklace. I have no reason to believe that the diamonds are just glass beads.
Can't see your last xl picture.

There were rumors that after Belgian court jeweler discovered that green and red stones were not real that they have been replaced with the real ones.

I just can't imagine the Queen wearing that kind of grand jewels that are fake.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
Can't see your last xl picture.

There were rumors that after Belgian court jeweler discovered that green and red stones were not real that they have been replaced with the real ones.

I just can't imagine the Queen wearing that kind of grand jewels that are fake.
They were replaced but not with emeralds and rubies. The red paste stones were replaced by red gemstones. The green paste stones were replaced by green gemstones. Real emeralds and rubies in the size of the central stones would exceed the value of the diamonds (just little diamonds of average quality to be set en pavé to fill the montures and the fleurons).
Old 01-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Just the aquamarines are real stones.
She received from Mrs Franco two bases .
Why did she never wear the coronet base on its own ???
Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Just the aquamarines are real stones.
She received from Mrs Franco two bases .
Why did she never wear the coronet base on its own ???
All stones are real, since the replacement of the fake centre stones:
- the diamonds which are used voor the pavé setting of the monture and the fleurons
- the lightblue gemstones (aquamarines)
- the red gemstones (grenats, I think)
- the green gemstones (péridots, I think)

Grenats are not rubies. Péridots are not emeralds. That is true but they are not fake. It is fake when a stone pretends to be something. But what you see is what you get. You see sparkling red grenats. And you see sparkling green péridots. It is not a fake glass bead with a green or red aluminium foil behind it.

Despite the not so great value of the Spanish Wedding Diadem (in comparison with diadems containing big carat diamonds, rare gemstones or natural Pearls), it still is a very, very beautiful design. It is spectacular in both the flower wreath as well the coronet versions. The versality is amazing.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The green stones in the tiara always appeared a rather deep, dark green, while peridots are usually much, much lighter. Besides, large peridots are very rare and really expensive. I doubt that peridots of that size would be much cheaper than emeralds.

Garnets (grenats in French) are indeed more affordable than rubies. Especially large rubies are very rare and more expensive than large sapphires or emeralds. But mostly they have a much darker colour than rubies. The best quality are blood garnets which have the rich red colour of blood, but they again are rare and also expensive.

I wonder, Duc, did you read somewhere that the fake stones were replaced with semi-precious stones, or is this your assumption based on the circumstances?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree 100 % with Tilia.

I am just coming from Lanzarote , I bought a ring with a olivine/peridot stone which is light green.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I remember reading something like that on the RJoW MB but I do not remember when, by whom and if the info. was based on anything. I believe the story was that when Franco found out that some stones were made of glass, they were quietly replaced by other ones.

I wonder when it was the last time that Fabiola wore the green or the red stones with the tiara. The last 2 decades I believe she only wore them with aquamarines IIRC.

I wonder why they never replaced the coloured stones with some pearls. They should have some of those lying around or it should be easy enough to acquire a few. That makes the tiara even more versatile than it already is.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Why did they spoke twice on RTL that the spanish tiara was a fake so many years later?
Patrick Weber was interviewed. He said "si c'était su celà s'est tu". Il it was kown, it remain silent.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

The story is that the Spanish Wedding Gift was once given to a Convent (to adorn a Madonna or something). It seems the Sisters sold the centrestones to raise money for charitative works and replaced these with fake stones.

When it was found out the centrestones were fake, the Spanish Government (Franco) ordered the fake ones to be replaced. Most likely these were replaced by red grenats and certain green gemstones (péridots can have a deep green too, especially in a darker setting, but of course there are more green gemstones). It is unlikely that the Spanish Government could find a number of same-coloured, same-sized and same quality rubies and emeralds. That would have cost a fortune.

But my point was about the "fake". Stones as grenats and péridots are red and green. Yes. They are no rubies and emeralds. No. However this does not classify as "fake". What we see is what it is: red and green gemstones indeed.

:)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I wonder why they never replaced the coloured stones with some pearls. They should have some of those lying around or it should be easy enough to acquire a few. That makes the tiara even more versatile than it already is.
But you would need quiet big pearls. Don't think they have so many of them lying around. I wonder why Fabiola newver wore only the base of the coronet alone. it would also make a nice small tiara.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The late Queen Fabiola wearing her Spanish Tiara and a large diamond necklace with a pendant both of which I know nothing about.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5157b085c8.jpg
Old 11-25-2016, 06:03 PM
Heir Apparent

The aquemarines are presents of King Baudouin.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The aquemarines are presents of King Baudouin.
Thank you Maria Olivia,did they pass to Queen Mathilde following the death of dowager queen Fabiola?

Tags
jewellery, queen fabiola