Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anybody please explain the meaning of "scroll" in terms of jewellery? Many thanks in advance:flowers:
As in S*S*S*S*, if one imagines the S's to be diagonal and the * to be solitaires...does that make sense?

The Teck Circle necklace was given to Princess Margaret by her mother. It was not included in the sale of her jewels after her death, so presumbly it was either returned to The Queen or retained by Lady Sarah or Viscount Linley.

I was wondering why the Queen Mother didn't wear a lot of jewels. She seemed very plain in comparison to Alexandra or Mary. Anyone know why?

I was wondering why the Queen Mother didn't wear a lot of jewels. She seemed very plain in comparison to Alexandra or Mary. Anyone know why?

Anyone would seem plain in comparison to Alexandra and Mary (when it came to jewels!). I think the most obvious reason we did not see large amounts of jewels on the Queen Mother is because it was a different time--there was a war and a great amount of suffering (with the bombings); large amounts of jewels would have been inappropriate and possibly considered insensitive. Also, she may have simply not been the type of lady to wear huge amounts of jewels--she enjoyed large pieces (the five strand Greville necklace comes to mind), but I think she was a "less is more" type of lady.

:previous:
Many of Queen Mary's personal jewels remained with her until her death in 1953 when they were inherited by the present Queen, thus bypassing Queen Elizabeth.

Does anyone know more about the hexagonal brooch of The Queen Mother, which was now worn by The Queen for the 2009 Christmas Day message.

I love the idea of the QM being described as 'less is more' - her style of dress was anything less most of the time!!!

Anyways, I am also curious about this brooch that the Queen wore - I do not recall ever having seen it, and it is a lovely piece - anyone have any pics of the QM wearing it. I only seem to remember her wearing about four brooches for years now...

The Queen Mother was not particularly interested in jewels and basically wore the pieces she most enjoyed or that were sentimental to her.

The Queen is the same way. She often leaves it to her dressers to decide what pieces she wears on a given occasion.

I disagree. I think both Queens were and are interested in the jewels they were given as presents both personally and for diplomatic reasons.

I think the current Queen loves the sentimentality of the pieces given by her husband and her parents and grandmother.

Many of Queen Mary's personal jewels remained with her until her death in 1953 when they were inherited by the present Queen, thus bypassing Queen Elizabeth.
Ok, yes. That makes sense. I didn't think about the war either. It would be like the necklace of Marie Antionette I suppose.

The Queen Mother was not particularly interested in jewels and basically wore the pieces she most enjoyed or that were sentimental to her.

The Queen is the same way. She often leaves it to her dressers to decide what pieces she wears on a given occasion.

A pity. So many extraordinary pieces and the Queen Mother was not very interested. Did she not sell a tiara she had received from Queen Mary?

Yes, she disposed of the amethyst parure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know when and where this was taken?
This picture was taken during her visit to Bermuda and Trinidad and Tobago for the Commonwealth Meeting I think in Nov., but I don't have my magazines to check for the actual date right now.

Thats right, these pictures are from the trip to T&T for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in November 2009.
This was the first known sighting of HM in the diamond earrings that QEQM used on an almost daily basis.

Those earrings are gorgeous! I've never seen them before. Is the Queen Mother also wearing some of Alexandra's/Mary's Jewels? Those pearls look familiar. :)

I am sure it would look stunning on Camilla but I think Queen Alexandra would turn (and probably spin round) in her grave, knowing what HM thought of Mrs Keppel.
I thought Mrs Keppel was an ancestor of Camilla - ??

If got a Question, on the cover of Shawcross's Bio of the Queen Mum, what jewelry is she wearing. Is it the Queen Vic Coronation Earrings and Necklace, plus the collett necklace, and the waterfall brooch, but Im not familiar with the bracelet? Can anyone confirm?

I also have a question about this Tiara, Is this the wedding tiara worn by QEII?

I believe it is the waterfall brooch, but Gill or Boris can confirm or correct me.:)

She is wearing jewels that were left to the Crown by Queen Victoria to be worn by all Queens in right of it.

Interesting. I knew the Oriental Tiara, the Coronation/Jubilee Necklace and Earrings were Victorian but I didn't about the brooch, bracelet, and other Collett necklace. Can anyone confirm this is the Queen Mums collett necklace that the Duchess of Cornwall has worn in previous years?

Diamonds only...

As far as we know the DOC has been loaned just the one diamond collet necklace (first worn July 2007): DOC 60th Birthday photo.
It was stated in the official release at the time that the necklace was provenance of the Queen Mother.
The cover of the Shawcross book shows the Queen Mother wearing two diamond collet necklaces.

There are three diamond collet necklaces which were left to the Crown by Queen Victoria.
Quoting Suzy Menkes:

The Diamond Collet (161 carats)
Necklace of 28 brilliant collets made from diamonds taken from the Garter Badge and Sword for Queen Victoria;
Detachable pendant also used in the Crown of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. The diamond drop was originally part of the Timur Ruby necklace;
Necklace reduced and drop diamond earrings made 1937 (two large stones removed and replaced with three smaller stones).

Two Diamond Collet Necklaces

A diamond collet necklace of 45 collets
A diamond collet necklace of 42 collets
Spare 154 collets (see below).

Judging by the size and number of diamonds, my guess is Camilla was pictured wearing the 28 collet necklace.

The pic of HM and HH the Aga Khan shows her wearing what Menkes describes as "the triple strand diamond collet necklace with triangular motifs. Made up in 1950 by George VI from spare royal gems." (found rolling around in a box stuffed in the back of a cupboard? :D)

What we call the 'waterfall brooch' is referred to by Menkes as "Queen Victoria's diamond tassel brooch".

Last edited:
Hi Warren!

I think Camilla wasn't wearing the 28 diamond collect necklace at her birthday and later the French State Visit. Judjuing by Menkes' description, the 28 stone necklace is Queen Victoria's diamond necklace, which Elizabeth II wore on her corronation and still frequently wears at Openings of Parliament. Originaly it had 28 diamonds but three stones were subsequently removed.

The Duchess of Cornwall will have to wait untill her husband ascends to the throne to wear this particular necklace.

And here is a link to The Royal Collection with the story behind the necklace and its stones - Royal Collection - Queen Victoria's diamond necklace and drop earrings

Ta Warren and Bobby! As always, Im gratefull.

I was thinking in the Shawcross cover the Queen Mum was wearing Queen Victoria's Diamond necklace plus a seperate collet diamond neclace that the DoC now wears around that necklace. I didnt realize so much jewelry survived from Queen Victoria.

Hi Warren!
I think Camilla wasn't wearing the 28 diamond collect necklace at her birthday and later the French State Visit. Bobby
Thanks Bobby. I reckon either there must be a fourth diamond collet necklace or one of the 40-plus collet necklaces has been reset. In the DOC 60th Birthday photo if you count the collets there are 17 or 18 which are visible. There is no way it can have over 40 collets.

One little mystery that Suzie Menkes doesn't appear to clear up: in the text and in the captions to the pics of Queen Elizabeth (Queen Mother) wearing the double-collet necklace, she only refers to the 28 collet. She never mentions the second. I found that odd.

Whichever collet diamond necklace it is...it is Breathtaking!! Thanks for the pictures!:p

Thanks Bobby. I reckon either there must be a fourth diamond collet necklace or one of the 40-plus collet necklaces has been reset. .....

We must have in mind that such necklaces were quite common before Queen Victoria's reign and people continued wering them in during the 20th century. At the Coronation of her son, Queen Mary wore 7 rivieres and I'm sure she had more! George VI presented Queen Elizabeth with a necklace of 40 collet diamons. Maybe Queen Mary left a couple of her necklaces to The Queen Mother. We'll never know, no matter how many books are published.

Look at this photo of QEQM from 1961 and you'll see her wearing two rivieres - one long and one short. Maybe the longer necklace is the one Camilla was loaned?

One question - Is it just me, or Queen Elizabeth is wearing the Grville earrings on the Shawcross cover?

Bobby

I agree, I do not think Camilla has the 28 stone collet. Apart from anything else, I do not think HM would part with such a historical necklace for Camilla just yet. I think the BRF had a few collet necklaces, so it is possible it was none of the ones talked about. Remeber that Margaret had one as well, which has since been sold by her children.

Back
Top Bottom